Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

John's Bayou

I had the fortune to get on the water today. Didn't quite make the falling tide but did catch it on the rise. I didn't catch many but I did catch one. I use a light rod and tackle for the challenge and the action. I had a good breeze pushing me ahead of the slow current. Drifting along, I hooked a 15lbs catfish. At first, I thought I had a small bass. Then it surfaced and that's when the fight began. It wasn't exactly like a Nantucket sleigh ride but that fished dragged me all over that little bayou before I got it landed. That was soooo much fun. I'm going to put in again tomorrow to catch the falling tide. Maybe this time I'll catch some bass.

Comments

• sounds like it was a really neat catch
    -- Last Updated: Nov-25-10 12:13 AM EST --

...... a 15 lb. Cat must have quite a tug to it I'd imagine .

I've not caught one that heavy although I'm aware they can get much heavier even . I have fished for them a little here and there and been happy with 6-8 lb.er's from mountain rivers . It's not that they don't get larger in these rivers because they do . I think a 50 lb.er or so was caught by a guy who fishes them (specifically) , made the state record a year or so ago in basically the same area I've caught the smaller ones .

Good luck next time out .

• Options
    Reprise
    I went back this morning and I thought I'd catch the falling tide I missed yesterday. The water was high and didn't seem to fall at all. Terrible. Still caught two small bass and a blue gill. Slow day, so I put them back.
  • Keep at it.
    I've put my boats up for the year unless one of my regular buddies gets a bug up his butt to get on the water. I don't go alone this time of year. Well, not unless I really *have* to...