Camping with a CPAP?

While I can get by sleeping without my CPAP machine I find I sleep much better with it. I was wondering if anyone else uses one and takes it camping with them on canoe/kayak trips. I see in the manual you can get a DC adapter to use in vehicles but it doesn’t say anything about what size battery you would need to take it on paddling trips. I was hoping that I could get by for one or two nights on a small motorcycle battery. Anyone ever try it or knows someone who has?

Kayak_Ken

is your google broken? (NM)

There are DC camping models
I’ve never done it, though, and your motorcycle battery idea sounds iffy. You should call your local supplier or a manufacturer.

These babies cost $1,000 and up. I’m not sure I’d want to risk mine near water. In fact, I had to replace mine when it got soaked accidentally by a hydration device being upended into it (don’t ask).

Have a friend who can go for four nights
camping with a motorized wheelchair battery

Marine Battery - works fine …but
I found in the manual the size of battery and bought a marine gel battery. It lasts a few nights on a charge, but I don’t think mine operated at the right pressure on the battery, I felt like my lungs were being over inflated. Another issue is air temperature. I did this the first time in winter here. This was a cold night in central california and it got down below freezing. The cold compressed air is really uncomfortable. My lungs felt like they were being assaulted. Also when camping be sure to keep track of your altitude and learn to adjust your machine for how far you are above sealevel. Since then I’ve lost a lot of weight and don’t need to use CPAP.

My brother sleeps with one.

– Last Updated: Feb-15-13 9:16 AM EST –

When he's able to join me on a trip (which is rare, unfortunately) I swipe a deep cycle battery from one of my boats and hook up an inverter to it. From a full charge it will run a CPAP for two nights, and based on what he's told me the machine works just as it does at home on AC. I think it has humidification and heat to condition the air, but I'm not positive as I'm blessed to not need one. We are usually in north Arkansas, which while not exactly Appalachia is a bit above sea level. All that said, I can't imagine being able to carry a deep cycle battery and CPAP in a kayak, but I'm sure you know that. Might be able to carry them in a canoe.

Sleeping on a thin mattress, on the
ground, may change your sleep enough that apnea will be less of a problem. I would check that possibility before getting into the serious battery issues.

Go without
I just leave mine at home. The morning camping fog is just a little bit thicker but it seems like too much of a hassle to bring it along.

Brian

My experience
When wilderness camping I use a jaw positioning mouth devise instead of my C-pap. I don’t know if it’s the mountain air,exercise,loon calls or what,but I do fine.

Turtle

Camping wit CPAP
I have used a motorcycle battery and it lasts for 2 nights, but I think it depends on what the pressure setting is.

I use a Respironics with a setting of 6.

What is this device?
I’ve never heard of a “jaw positioning device”. How does it work?

The problem with sleep apnea is that the tongue and uvula get together to block the passage of air. I doubt that holding your jaw in any particular position is going to change that. It’s gravity pulling down soft tissue.

I can go without the CPAP by sleeping on my side. But that is uncomfortable because my arm falls asleep or my shoulder hurts, so I have to turn over to the other side and start the whole cycle again. So I breathe well, but don’t sleep well anyway.

Mouth appliance
A lot of Apnea is restriction at the back of the throat. This mouthpiece holds your jaw more foreward and opens the airway. It doesn’t work as well as a machine for me,but it helps. You can get one from a dentist for big $,or do what I dit and got a “do it yourself” one online for app $10.

snoring Turtle

Ken, what machine make & model?
My Respironics has a 12v dc battery set available from the manufacturer.

What is your machine?

Pure Sleep
I’ve got mild apnea (due to a narrow windpipe) and a CPAP, which I hate so much I have not used it for 8 years. But I’ve found that using one of the Pure Sleep brand jaw positioner devices both corrects snoring and keeps me from awakening with gasp reflex. That’s all I use now when I sleep and it’s easy to take traveling or camping. I think they run about $60 each(last I bought a few months ago they had a two-for-one special and got 2 for that price). If you keep it clean it will last about one year using it nightly.

You create the custom fit yourself using hot water to soften the silicone material and then biting on the tray (like getting an orthodontics mold) – simple instructions and takes about 15 minutes. Takes a little getting used to but is way more comfortable than the machines and you don’t feel like an extra in an “Alien” movie.