Cooperstown to Milford...

I am scheduling a trip north soon, and would love to see this section of the Susquehanna once again. As I haven’t done this in more than 3 decades, a bit of local knowledge would be most welcome.

Can I still launch from the hospital parking lot in Cooperstown? Is this likely to be an open course in late May or full of blow downs? How much time should I plan for the trip?

How come no one has posted on Places to Paddle for my home river I grew up on? C’mon now, it’s a nice place to spend time.

Anyone wishing to join in would be welcome. Dinner at Brooke’s in Oneonta will follow.

T

Susquehanna
I used the Hospital lot last year, and out in below the dam with no problems. There may be some wood, but it is usually not bad. Relaxed 4 hour trip, do not forget to tour the 2 breweries.

Oooo, brewries!
I’m sure my son will know, but where are they located?

T

General Clinton Race
Since the General Clinton Canoe Race is held on Memorial Day the river should be clear from Cooperstown to Bainbridge; all 70 miles. Water level is still weather dependent.

Bill

Three easy portages
The first is at the hospital- 20 yds across the road and back in. The second is at Goodyear Dam- two tenths mile uphill and back down. Third at Oneonta behind the Neptune diner- 20 yds around little 3 ft weir dam.

The Ommegang and Cooperstown breweries are worth a visit. They give free samples.

The Neptune Diner in Oneonta is a must visit!

Wow, I forgot about General Clinton…
on Memorial Day. Thanks, I may have to attend the festivities in Bainbridge.

Neptune Diner vs. Brooke’s? That’s going to be a hard call, but we may have to check it out, and get take out from Brookes to eat on the way back south.

Thanks so much,

T