Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Installing D Rings - Need a Cheap Roller

Putting d rings in. Need a roller to smooth out the patch, but don't want to pay $20 for one.
Thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

• Canned Salmon?
    I just looked in our food cupboard and found a can of Bumble Bee canned salmon. There are no ridges on the can, and no ridge/lip holding on the bottom of the can. I think it would make an excellent roller for your purpose.
  • or, if you're alergic to fish . . .
    a piece of closet rod, rolled under your hand or foot.
  • I used my fingers
    -- Last Updated: May-07-14 5:22 PM EST --

By pressing quite hard with my fingers in a pattern that "chases" out any gaps beneath the vinyl fabric, I've gotten good results. If the material is a little bit too "grippy" for your fingers to slide on, put a piece of paper down first. Otherwise, any rounded object should work fine. It need not "roll" - sliding is fine. In similar applications, I've even used the rounded handle of a paint brush. A common table spoon works well too. Don't rely on the strength of the spoon's handle, as it will bend. Apply pressure with a finger or thumb placed right into the cup of the spoon, and rub the material with the curved back side.

• look for one of these
    http://hardwaredistributors.com/roller-seam-1-quot.html?gclid=CKzP0ffmmr4CFahAMgod2EMAkw

at your local hardware store. Ask for a seam roller.
  • You mean "smooth out" or ensure
    strong contact? I never had trouble with wrinkles or anything that needed smoothing, but failure of some patches after 10 years (!) suggested that firm roller pressure might have made a difference. The texture of the patch and the boat surface after failure suggested that there was less than 70% adhesive contact. Speckly adhesion zones instead of overall contact.

Get a roller like pblanc suggests. Don't worry about little wrinkles as long as you roll hard and get good contact. In fact, as long as the central zone around the D-ring holds, the outer surround doesn't even "know" the strain.
  • I use a flat plastic scraper
    works fine.
  • Screwdriver
    Always have used the handle end of a screwdriver or similar tool.

kru