Family canoe courses near Elgin, IL?

Hi, all! Brand spanking new canoe owners here in Elgin, IL (far west Chicago suburb). I’m hoping someone would be willing to direct me to resources for canoeing courses in the area.

We are a family of four (2 adults and 2 young girls, 8yo and 2yo) wanting to get out on the water and start getting more in touch with nature. We just bought a used Old Town Discovery 174 in very good condition on Craigslist. I have picked up all the basic necessities and gear to get us out on the water. At first, I thought this shouldn’t be that big of a deal. You just make sure everyone is properly fitted in their PFDs, everyone slowly and carefully climbs into the canoe one-by-one and takes their seat, everyone sits still and centered in the boat, and you paddle carefully. I figured if we started off on a nice, calm, small lake, we should have no problem learning how to paddle and having lots of fun while at it.

Then I started reading more and more posts (here at Paddling.net and elsewhere) about beginner paddlers’ first attempts to get their canoes out on the water and the number of times they tipped their boats.

This got me thinking that maybe we should sign up for a beginner canoe course somewhere local. You know, have people who are experienced in the ways of the canoe show us the best, proper, safest methods for having fun on the water.

So, anyone have any recommendations for classes in the west suburbs of Chicago? I know I’m kind of running out of time for good family canoeing season, but only just recently purchased our canoe.

Thanks for any advice!

suggestion
I would suggest contacting Tom Lindblade, of Rockford, IL. Tom is an ACA certified canoe instructor and was ACA “Instructor of the Year” in 2009.

You can reach him through the Prairie State Canoeist web site here:

http://prairiestatecanoeists.org/index.php/contact-us/16-tom-lindblade

I am quite sure Tom would know what on-water canoe instruction is going to be available in the Chicagoland area in the near future.

The Prairie State Canoeists is a large club and most of its members are located in the Chicagoland area. You might look into it.

Thanks!
I’ll try getting in touch with him!