2.5hp on canoe

Hi!

I have a 16ft cadorette canoe.

I would like to put a 2.5hp on it but before I spend 1k$ I want to be sure that my canoe with handle it.

Last summer I tried it with a Minn Kota Traxxis 45lbs thrust with two batteries, even at full speed the canoe handle it fine, but I did’nt like the electric thing.

What do you think ?

Thanks.

No problem, IF…
…you have a solid motor mount. I’ve run an Aquabug 1.75 hp on a Grumman 17’ aluminum canoe. It was great for crossing large lakes, and even trolling. The only drawback was if you got a headwind over 7 mph, it still required paddler assistance.

Should be fine

– Last Updated: Dec-23-15 6:50 PM EST –

I'm not familiar with the specific canoe that you have, but a 16-footer should do fine with an outboard of that size. Since you are asking, I assume this is new to you, so I'll mention that there's one thing that's different about a motorized canoe compared to a skiff or "rowboat" type of boat. If you are going very slowly or are stationary, you absolutely must not suddenly crank open the throttle while the motor is steered sharply to one side. A regular small boat can handle that, but a canoe could easily roll right over, tipped by the levering action of the motor shaft below the hull. You might get away with that kind of careless maneuver, but it's best not to try.

Not a good idea on any watercraft !
Full throttle combined with maximum angle from a dead stop spells disaster on any boat, unless maybe you’re an X-Games veteran on a jet ski !!

engines
Canoes are displacement hulls. Just keep that in mind. If you are solo with a motor and no dunnage the bow is going to be in the air, with less wetted surface. Just don’t go too fast.

engines
Canoes are displacement hulls. Just keep that in mind. If you are solo with a motor and no dunnage the bow is going to be in the air, with less wetted surface. Just don’t go too fast.

gas or electric motor
keep in mind, in most if not all states, once you put either motor on a canoe, you must register that canoe, for the life of the canoe. also, quite often, you are limited to a certain # of days allowed in waters outside your home state. new york is 90 days, then you must register it or take it out of state.

i use the variable speed riptide with 45 lb thrust,love it,but its not fast.

tight lines

bluegill1213@aol.com

For what it’s worth
For several years I’ve owned a 3-hp gas motor, but I never used it until last night. I put it on a 12-foot jonboat and got my speed up to 8 mph according to my GPS. I only tried that for a minute or so because technically I was in a slow-no-wake zone.

That’s a pretty good speed, I think, and it confirms my memory of seeing canoes with small gas motors moving at a nice brisk pace.

Canoe with motor.
I own a Grumman 19’ and 17’ square back canoe I use my yahama 4 hp on the 19’ and can go up river around local lake with no problem. The 17 foot is a little small for the 4 hp and too heavy for it. Looking into getting a Suzuki 2.5 has any one used this brand of motor. Also own a 17’ alumnacraft square stern . It also is great for small pond fishing . I can haul all three at once 2 on trailex 350 . I put on 19’ first then 17’ inside it up side down .then the other goes on top of car. I have 6 children which also have a couple of kayaks we have a lot of fun out paddling . Paddle on enjoy life .