Avocet LV weight

Hi all,

I ordered a fiberglass Valley Avocet LV recently and while waiting to have it shipped, I asked the store to weigh the boat at a friend’s advice. As a side note, my friend ordered a different Valley kayak (Etain 17.3) which was 20lbs over the stated factory weight - he ended up exchanging it for a kayak which was within 2 lbs of factory stated weight.

It turns out the Avocet LV I ordered weighs in at 55lbs, the boat is 50lbs and hatch covers are 5 lbs. Stated factory weight (without hatches) is 45 lbs. I’m disappointed because one of my criteria for selecting the Avocet LV was a total weight of less than 50 lbs.

I am 5’ 2", 125 lbs, very athletic, but new to kayaking.

The kayak price is very good, but I’m worried a heavy Avocet LV will defeat the purpose of buying it. :frowning: I have an Eddyline Samba, 14ft which I love, but I’m finding I’m having trouble keeping up with the paddlers in my club who are paddling 16ft or longer kayaks and are more experienced. I was hoping the Avocet LV would give me more speed and would be a more fun kayak for ocean paddles.

Should I be concerned about the extra weight? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dana

My guess
Is it’s the weight of the naked hull before the seat, foot braces and skeg are added, maybe even the deck lines as well. I wouldn’t worry about it.

I have an Avocet,
Although not an LV. Prior to purchasing I looked at many different Avocets, like you, looking for a lighter boat. the weight varied by over 10 lbs from the lightest to heaviest. The weight listed is 48 lbs, mine with the hatches weigh in at 46 lbs.

I think you may find with many composites that do not use cutting edge layup and vacuum technology there will be a large variance from the stated weight depending on that days production. Some employees may use more resin to achieve what they believe is a good product. Human built things vary in this manner, not a good or bad thing, it just is.

Most paddlers have an arbitrary weight limit they set for paddlecraft they own, my number of choice is less than 55 lbs. for carrying and loading ease. I have paddled several Avocets that were heavier than mine, I never have noticed a difference in speed due to the weight.

In my opinion if you are looking for a lighter boat, get one, when making a relatively expensive purchase you should get what you want.

It was probably made…
…on a Friday or a Monday…never but a Brit boat made on a Friday or a Monday.

Poor
Manufacturing procedures cause the variances.With infusion technology and vacuum bagging they should have consistency in there build as American manufacturers have embraced the technology. They need to hire CE Wilson.

weight
Once the boat’s in the water, you’ll never notice the difference. Unless it’s a really light boat like a SOF you normally can’t tell the difference when it’s floating.

Handing it on shore is another matter.

Bill H.

as griffin said
I’d only be concerned if carry weight is critical. You’ll be fine once in the water. Work on your stroke form and you’ll be much faster than in the Samba.

Got an app for that?
For straight ahead paddling I’d agree with Griffin regarding the weight but when changing directions, I feel the difference is detectable. It makes sense that 7 lbs. of extra weight spread along a 8’ lever in front an behind you does take more work to change the angular momentum. Is it a deal breaker? No, but detectable.

Who has an accelerometer app. that could give some data for this. It could be a fun experiment to set up.

A 16’ Avocet is going to behave so much more differently than a 14’ Samba. The increased glide speed is going to be apparent performance difference along with the more control from the closer contact fit.

Now, at the end of the day, I’ve not heard anyone complain that their kayak is too light when hefting it to put onto their car rack.

'Course you can get really spoiled picking up a Lincoln Schoodic at all of 42lbs in it’s heaviest layup (37lbs in ridiculously light carbon), but that’s another story.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection

yeah, that’s true

– Last Updated: Feb-18-16 10:35 AM EST –

Changing direction, accelerating or decelerating. 10# could be my day payload but my boat is already heavy so I'm not sure I'd feel it too much. But when I'm fully loaded, definitely. Everything happens slower but once up to speed, maintaining that speed doesn't seem harder.

Years ago once stopped at the Lincoln Kayak shop in Freeport. While the construction might give a rock gardener pause, those were some light and beautiful boats. I really like the Schoodic.

I was going to comment to the OP that comments about old manufacturing methods aside, there is a reason that used Avocets don't stay on the market long.

App choices:

– Last Updated: Feb-18-16 11:00 AM EST –

http://hubpages.com/technology/10-Best-Accelerometer-Apps

http://appcrawlr.com/ios-apps/best-apps-accelerometer-data

my plastic…
My plastic Avocet with electric bilge pump installed weighs according to my bathroom scale 57 pounds. I would think the glass boat would be less. Maybe my scale isn’t very accurate? Although it has my weight correct as it agrees with the much better scale at the gym. My pump setup is about 3 pounds.

I handled a heavy fiberglass Avocet LV
a couple years ago when I bought a Fathom LV from the Avocet LV owner.

Her Avocet LV definitely felt heavier than the 49 lb Fathom LV.

She was petite and loved the boat.

thanks everyone
I really appreciate all the comments, information and very helpful feedback, especially comparisons to my current boat, the Samba.

My concern primarily has to do with handling of the boat offshore: loading/unloading/washing, etc. My Samba is just over 40 lbs, and I know an extra 12+ lbs will make those things more complicated.

Also, I know fiberglass Avocet LVs are out there in the 45 - 48lbs weight range which gave me pause about buying one so much heavier, even though the price was great and the boat beautiful. Not an easy decision.

I understand. I try to keep boats less
than 45 lbs because of challenges with shoulders, back and knees.

Not a big deal

– Last Updated: Feb-18-16 4:01 PM EST –

Get a good kayak cart and use that to move the boat on the ground. Get something like the Amagansett Roller Loader to slide the boat on and off the car.

While there is something like a Hullivator in my future after I have sorted out the next vehicle, I have car topped heavier boats than your Avocet using those two tools. It takes longer than when I had a partner helping me to load, and when I am at a group paddle I try to help others so they will help me. But in my back yard it is just me and those two tools.

I am 5'3.5", 130 pounds, and likely at least three decades older than you.

it’s sort of a flawed comparison
IMO the Avocet will give you more positives than the one negative of weight.

When I order my Nord LV
I specified a weight that if over it I wouldn’t accept the boat and not to bother shipping it. It came in just under my specified weight.

I carried a scale with me when picking it up. I figured for over $4000 I should get what I wanted.

NEW Boat?
“Also, I know fiberglass Avocet LVs are out there in the 45 - 48lbs weight range which gave me pause about buying one so much heavier, even though the price was great and the boat beautiful. Not an easy decision.”

As the Avocet LV is being discontinued and will be hard to find - are you looking for a “NEW” boat? or a Lighter used Kayak?

The Valley Replacement will be the Sirona LV - this kayak can be produced in Kevlar.

NEW Boat?
“Also, I know fiberglass Avocet LVs are out there in the 45 - 48lbs weight range which gave me pause about buying one so much heavier, even though the price was great and the boat beautiful. Not an easy decision.”

As the Avocet LV is being discontinued and will be hard to find - are you looking for a “NEW” boat? or a Lighter used Kayak?

The Valley Replacement will be the Sirona LV - this kayak can be produced in Kevlar.

why replace the Avocet?