Hilton Head/Beaufort SC Paddlers?

Hey all. I’ve been lurking on this site off and on for the last few years but have finally bought a Pungo 120 after reading reviews on this site and taking a Learning to Kayak class from REI a couple weeks ago.

I’ve lived in the Hilton Head/Beaufort SC area for almost 6 years and am now looking to get out on the water and explore a bit. Bought the Pungo on Friday, finished all my accessory shopping (PFD, paddle, etc.) yesterday and now I’ve got to find a place to put in.

If anybody else on here is from the area or even just visiting, let me know so we can get together. Yes, I’m just a beginner but I plan to take more classes (I like to learn the right way before bad habits form) after I solidify what I’ve learned in the class I just took.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing the area I live in from a different perspective…

The Pungo is a good boat
but you are in tidal waters where an open cockpit, wide boat can be a liability.

That said, I’m glad you plan to take lessons.

There is a couple in the Beaufort area who rent boats and give tours whose rentals are mostly Pungos. They would be a good source of info. I don’t know their names but you should be able to find them easily.

Profile?
I live in Columbia and like to paddle Charleston but never have paddled near HH. Recommend spending a few minutes creating a Personal Profile about yourself here on p.net like most others have done just so people can see where you are “coming from”.

Well, when I go to a new area I usually check with a kayak shop for local clubs. That is old school. New tech age I google or facebook kayak clubs and usually come up with something or somebody that can tell me of local kayak launch points. Of course this web site has some trip reports and launch sites. I also go to Meet Up.com and search “kayak” within 50 miles of my the city were located. One of these will pair you up with the knowledge you seek.

If I were you I’d go to facebook and search out the “Sun City Hilton Head Kayak Club”.

Contact Savannah Canoe and Kayak and describe to them what you are about and they will take very good care of your needs----guaranteed.

@kblackyak said:
Contact Savannah Canoe and Kayak and describe to them what you are about and they will take very good care of your needs----guaranteed.

Concur.