Buying SOT Seat

I am buying a new seat for my Ocean Scrambler. I am considering a top-of-the-line seat like the GTS Expedition ($179 at ACK) vs. a modestly priced one like the Sit-on-Top Deluxe Cushioned Kayak Seat ($43 at Amazon). Can anyone discuss the trade offs of these two choices and if the $179 GTS is beyond the point of diminishing returns? Thanks.

Steve

I know this is old and you’ve probably already made your decision, but I thought I’d chime in anyway.

From what I’ve seen, it does appear that there is the law of diminishing returns at work with kayak seats. If you do your research and get a reputable brand, you can certainly find a very good seat for ~$50. The GTS, while it certainly has a bevy of features and seems to be impeccably engineered, remains questionable as to whether it’s 3x more comfortable to match up with 3x the price as the SOT Deluxe you mentioned or other similar brands.

For reference, I’ve created a little comparison chart where you can easily compare different brands of kayak seats to see which one will be best suited for your needs.