NDK explorer serial numbers?

-- Last Updated: Sep-30-16 10:33 AM EST --

What part of the serial number on a NDK explorer tells you the date it was made? Such as dkjex8911901?
Appreciate any help, Jaws
Almost forgot! What size hatch covers are on the Explorer? Thanks again, Jaws

Odd
That’s an odd HIN format but I’m sure you could get both questions answered direct from the manufacturer…

http://www.seakayakinguk.com/contact-us

Try
http://www.georgiawildlife.org/node/2967

Probably an I, not a 1
I901. Hull laid up in September 2009, finished in 2001.

NDK didn’t always follow HIN specs.

For example, my Xploder is labeled NDKUSA001-03. Makes me think they were engraving numbers as the container was being loaded and mine was the first in.

10" main hatch covers, Kajaksport or Sealect Designs offers replacements.

7.5" day hatch. Replacement from Valley Sea Kayaks or Sealect Designs.

I strongly recommend Sealect hatches.

I am looking at a used Explorer…
off of craigslist and the owner doesn’t know much about it? The price seems reasonable but it needs hatch covers which I figure will add about $150 to the cost?

Thanks for the help, Jaws

@jaws said:
– Last Updated: Sep-30-16 10:33 AM EST –

What part of the serial number on a NDK explorer tells you the date it was made? Such as dkjex8911901?
Appreciate any help, Jaws
Almost forgot! What size hatch covers are on the Explorer? Thanks again, Jaws

Not sure when they changed but early Romanys and Romany Explorers are DKJ896xxxxxx = August 96

@nermal said:
Probably an I, not a 1
I901. Hull laid up in September 2009, finished in 2001.

That would be quite a feat. :smiley: I presume they switched from DKJxxxxx to NDKxxxxx when they dropped the Romany from Romany Explorer

DKJ is the importer…Great River Outfitters, Stan C
it’s a 2001

ah, thanks, I seem to recall that now somewhere in the depths of memory. Been 20 years since I had one in my possession. Did they change distributors?

I bought a disheveled '96 Romany Explorer for $600 and brought it back to life - new rigging, restored rope skeg, etc. It was a bit heavy to move around, but a really great kayak e.g. rolled easily, quite neutral and generally didn’t need the skeg. These are great boats in my opinion. As mentioned, hatch covers are available so, if the price is right, grab it.

@qajaqman said:

Not sure when they changed but early Romanys and Romany Explorers are DKJ896xxxxxx = August 96

Sorry, thats wrong, flawed memory. Its the last 3 numbers as others have stated.