Hullavator gas spring replacement

I replaced my worn out Hullavator gas springs with a pair of Bansbach force 130, I bought from Grainger (item #6EYH9) approx.$120 shipped. They work great for my 70 lb. boat. It wasn’t easy, so be carefull.

How old…
…were the originals?

I’d like to know what I can expect from my 3 year old ones.

Lifetime
Thule Lifetime Warranty was enacted in 2007 I believe. You won’t have an issue with your 3 year olds. Keep your receipts to provide proof of purchase and Thule will surprise you in the support of their product. Might take some patience on hold though.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection

Good to know!
Thanks for the info.

Thule Hullavators: purchased 2 pairs in early 2008 and used for 30+ outings per year with 50 lb kayaks.
One (original) gas spring failed (no resistance) mid-2016.
Located replacements: Gemini Gas Springs Inc., Vernon B.C. - contact: Henk Blok, very helpful guy.
I sent him a (still working) original for measurements.
(Note that both ends of the original springs are threaded and unscrew - no drilling/cutting is required!)
Specs: Ø8/19 rod/cylinder stroke 250MM, extended length 555MM, M8x1.25 threaded ends, force 500N (115 lbs).
Cost less than $25 (CAD) per spring (plus shipping) - replaced both.
Prompt and helpful.

Redboat can you PLEASE describe how you replaced these gas struts. I bought the same exact pair you did and that 130 lb force seems impossible to compress. Which pin or pins did you drill out and replace and exactly how did you compress and install the struts. Thanks tremendously for your help.

@RedBoat said:
I replaced my worn out Hullavator gas springs with a pair of Bansbach force 130, I bought from Grainger (item #6EYH9) approx.$120 shipped. They work great for my 70 lb. boat. It wasn’t easy, so be carefull.

Hello guys, I’m trying to replace my struts on the hullavators. Do you guys have photos of the rivets/screws or what ever you used to replace the drilled out rivets?(are the screws / heavy duty rivets available in local stores like Home Depot/lowes?)

And yah, how did you compress / replace such a strut? I was thinking you put the struts while the hullavator was in open (strut in extended) position?

Please let us know for future reference for the public.

I can tell you that I had to use a hydraulic press and then used coathanger wire to hold it in the compressed position. Then I drilled out the rivet on the base of the Hullavator. I positioned the gas strut and began carefully threading it into the end pieces while the coathanger wire twisted a little. After I got a few rotations, I replaced the rivet with a stainless bolt and nut. Carefully removed the wire and finished threading it on. It was exceedingly difficult and something I never want to do again.