What model of canoe do I have? Old town

Got this canoe in trade. Judging by the serial number it’s a 2008. The thing is in absolute prime condition. I’m just wondering what model it is. I know there is someone on here who knows everything about old town canoes and would like to hear from them. I’ll post pictures if I can figure out how to do that. Anyway it’s 17 foot and has an expedition sticker near the bow. It’s green, has the yolk crossmember and another crossmember, molded seats, the front has a cup holder and other area for goods. I was thinking a tripper 172 but the tripper pics I see online has a tripper sticker, not expedition. Let me know what you think experts. Thanks in advance!

Trippers

– Last Updated: Nov-05-16 9:04 PM EST –

Do not have cargo storage nor cup holders
Post a pic to a photo hosting site and link it here
Expedition sticker could have been put on by anyone
I'm inclined to think you have one of the Saranac models
Intended for potteing around. Not a tripping ⛵️

Tripper
I posted some pictures on Pinterest. If you search the username ruger michael there is a canoe folder there. The saranac wasn’t in the old town 2008 product catalog though. In the 2008 product catalog the tripper does have contour seats with the front seat having both cup holder and storage tray. Page 18 at

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/uploadedFiles/Website_Library_Assets/Files/Catalogs/Old_Town_2008_Product_Guide.pdf

I figured since it’s listed in the tripping expedition section of the catalog, that may be why the expedition stickers are on it. Looks identical to the tripper 172 with the thwarts and seats. Just wondering why the expedition sticker and why I can’t find anything about it.

1 Like

Tripper
I just measured the boat. Exactly 16’ 9". It must be a disco not the tripper.

Expedition 169
Also just read a post on here regarding the expedition. Apparently bass pro sold disco boats with an expedition sticker on it, not discovery, bean sold the same exact boat with west forks sticker, and dick’s sold it with a guide sticker. All the same boat made by the same people with the same material. Just a different sticker.

1 Like

A disco by many names, but a Disco it is

Sounds right… so
its more a flatwater boat than the Tripper. Sadly discontinued… the Tripper… a real classic boat. But no one is taking real expeditions any more.

Disco 169
Actually Kim the 169 Disco is the Tripper Hull in three layer polyethylene. Mold was made from the Tripper dimensions, the poly just shrinks more when it cools. Same with the Disco 164 being the 17 Penobscot in poly and the 119 being the 12’Pack.

Bill

1 Like

I know this is way out of date. Sorry. And I recognize the Kayamedic name as a site common respected name… So, laughingly HARUMPH !! In 2016, I launched from Green River, Wyoming, in June, from Expedition Island. And 10 plus weeks later, I passed under the London Bridge , Lake Havasu City, Arizona. About 1,300 river miles. The only exception, at that time, was the 36 miles of Dinosaur Nation Monument, there was a screw up in the permit. I had to portage around the permit stretch of the river. I went back in 2019 and did that 36 miles starting again in Green River, Wyoming and hauling out at Green River, Utah.
In 2016 from G.R., WY to Lake Havasu City, Arizona, all the rivers and rapids between, except for portages around dams, and haul outs for repairs. No Expeditions, the very idea.
A few months ago, it was a second paddle down the Green from GR, UT to the Confluence with 4 friends. I highly recommend that stretch. I found this old post while looking for info on a boat for sale, an "Expedition, Old Town’
I will say, modern expeditions, I spent as many hours securing 11 consecutive, date specific permits, as I spent hours paddling. If I ever want to do that again, shoot me. Or restrict me to the Yukon or Mackenzie

1 Like

Discovery 169. Stop using slang terms all the time.
It is a baby Tripper in a different material. Great river boats.
I rented some on the Trinity River, CA. Very technical paddling and the Discovery 169s were up to it.

That is an Expedition 169. OT made them for Bass Pro Shops until about 2011. Its a Discovery 169 with a few bells and whistles. We raffled several of those off as fund raisers. People loved the built in seat back that came with.