Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For sale - Placid Boatworks RapidFire solo pack canoe - NYC, NY, will deliver in region - $1600

Carbon/Kevlar with cherry rails, 33 pounds on my scale. Always stored inside. Three seat options. Very good structurally but thoroughly scuffed up. Many pictures and details on Manhattan Craigslist. I will include a 46-inch bent-shaft paddle if you want the option of paddling single-blade. Happy to answer questions in the comments or by personal message. I wrote about the boat a fair bit on paddling.net as nycmhandy. Why I'm selling: I have busted my knee for good this time, and I have to give up kneeling for long periods and become mainly a kayaker. I welcome feedback on the price; I can't find much data on sales of these used boats.

Comments

• Can someone comment on whether they see my screen name or email address on this post? My profile says I have a screen name (MarkH) set up, but I am seeing my email address.

• I'm seeing your email address.
    Sorry to hear about your knee. I assume that you already tried sitting on one of the bottom mounted seats in the Rapidfire.
    If going to a kayak, I suggest the lightest SOT that you can find - they are easier to mount and and dismount than a sit in kayak for my wife, who is very stiff.

• Thanks for the info, Yanoer. When I got the RapidFire, I expected I would switch between the kneeling seat and the bottom-mounted seat all the time, but it turned out that I much preferred to kneel. I like a boat that is on the narrow side relative to my (large) size. My preferred kayak is 20.5 inches wide, so the 28-inch RapidFire feels way too wide when I paddle her as a kayak. I will let her go to someone who will use her as per her design, and I will look for a canoe that I can use happily when I don't want to kayak -- either a sit-and-switch boat or a C-1 that I can play in for a short while, before my knee starts complaining.

• edited December 2016

Specs on RapidFIre.. 24 inches at gunwale, 27.5 inches at widest point ( the shoulder) and 23 inches waterline.. Which makes it in the league of many sea kayaks,
    Just so potential buyers are aware its a different league than the Old Town Next...

Sorry to hear you cant kneel anymore.. I just had a kneel replacement and its going to be some time to desensitize it for kneeling.
    The Placid Boatworks Shadow is leaner. It usually blows away most kayaks.

http://placidboatworks.com/shadow.html

Sale price.. if it does not get attention at your price try bringing it below a two grand. That is a psychological hangup for some buyers.

• Thanks, kayamedic. I am trying to edit the post to lower the price, but I don't see a way to edit! I will comment on the instructions-for-classifieds post.

• Update: Kevin at paddling.com has made it possible to edit posts, including the title. I have now edited the title of this one, to show a lower asking price.

• Bump: lower price.

• Bump: lower price.

• Mark: I am an avid solo canoe/freestyle paddler so I am interested in knowing how your boat paddles when seated on the cane seat. Have you paddled any other solo boats that you could compare it to? Thanks

• @mvanderlaan I replied to your private message that had the same text as your comment here.

• Bump: higher price. I'm feeling optimistic. (When I was buying the boat from Charlie Wilson, and I complained about the price, he said, "Our prices will be going up, not down." It worked for him, so I'll try it, too!)

• So much for optimism. Lower price!

• Another price drop -- the last one!

• Get thee or it to the Western PA Solo Canoe Rendezvous. About 200 people attend. All canoe and pack Canoe heads that know a good boat when they see it.
    http://www.wpascr.org/

Yes its about seven hours from NYC but a good weekend of camaraderie. Camping is nominal the event free.

• Thanks, kayamedic, I might just do that, though not for the economics of selling, since it would cost me a few hundred dollars to rent the car and lodging. Plus there is always the danger that I would buy a boat I don't need, like maybe a Dragonfly....

• Still available? Am new to this forum and would like to communicate off-line but see no way to do that.