Advice for Spring Rec Kayak Purchase

Hi, we are hoping to add another sit-inside rec boat to our small fleet. I know that many of you consider recreational kayaks to be pool toys and Tupperware. You will want to recommend going with an upgrade in our equipment. I will give you a little history so you don’t waste your time with this.
We currently own 4 recreational kayaks: Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (sit-on-top) , Perception Sport Pescador Angler 12 (bought used on Craigslist), Wilderness Systems Aspire 105 (bought on Craigslist from someone who had only used it twice) and an Emotion Spitfire 8 (selling). I started kayaking before my husband and dragged him into it. He now enjoys it so much, he likes to invite friends and family members along, so we need at least 4 boats. We want to have a pair of sit-insides and a pair of sit-on-tops. We have sold a couple of starter craft already as we refined what we wanted. We cannot go beyond 12 1/2 feet as we keep the kayaks in our storage shed and that’s all the room there is on the available wall. We want something with a large open cockpit because my husband (age 59) has rheumatoid arthritis and getting in and out of a confined space would be difficult. He also likes to be able to shift around when we are on the water for a long stretch of time. He is 6’2" and about 220 lbs. The deck would need to clear his size 12.5 shoes. We are limited in our budget because we have a daughter in college; when she graduates, we expect to start planning a wedding to her long-time boyfriend. Also, we have other expensive hobbies (motorcycle, ATVs, two classic cars in the garage…). My husband really likes the Aspire and we could probably get away with just buying another one of those. I would like to hear if anyone has a better suggestion that we should consider.
We live in central Maryland. We enjoy taking our boats with us on vacations. They have been used on the sound side of the Outer Banks of NC, lakes and rivers of West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Maryland, including tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay. We are not planning to go into the ocean or on any overnight trips. We appreciate features such as bulkheads and a comfy, adjustable seat. I tend to research the heck out of most things I buy so I want to be ready when spring paddling season rolls around (as well as sales or another sweet Craigslist deal). Currently on my list are WS Aspire and Pungo, Old Town Loon (heard questionable things about older models), Necky Rip, Jackson Tupelo (what’s the deal with their warranty?) and Current Designs Solara. I am not sure if we have an Old Town dealer anywhere nearby to try out a Loon. Dealer for WS, Necky and Current is in Annapolis but is operating out of a temporary storefront since a fire in the fall. If we want to go cheap, we could buy L.L Bean’s brand of the Perception Prodigy. They have great sales and guarantee everything forever but really wanted a few more upgrades this time. Thanks!

How far are you willing to drive? I just found highly reduced Solaras, a bunch, at Patuxent Adventure Center in Leonardtown. According to their web site they are still for sale, and while they may have been rented out they look to be in good shape from the photos. About $450. May be able to get them wet as well, albeit may involve a fee. They list a wharf in Leonardtown.

Annapolis Canoe & Kayak is back up and running.

I have a pair of Perception Swifty’s 9 and a half foot that I will never get rid of. Loaned them out to 12 yo and 73 yo. My size 12 ft can wear big rubber boots no problem. No bulkhead, no cargo hatch, seat is not the greatest but I see the deluxe models have a different seat.

There is also an 11 and a half. It may have a bulkhead. Since it has a cargo hatch.

I have sea kayaks and touring yaks but there is definitely a place on the water for big open rec yaks!

@Celia said:
How far are you willing to drive? I just found highly reduced Solaras, a bunch, at Patuxent Adventure Center in Leonardtown. According to their web site they are still for sale, and while they may have been rented out they look to be in good shape from the photos. About $450. May be able to get them wet as well, albeit may involve a fee. They list a wharf in Leonardtown.

We don’t mind driving, but if I buy a boat that’s from a rental fleet, it’s going to have to be cheap. Generally speaking, I’m a big fan of manufacturers’ warranties. I’d rather pay a little more for some peace of mind, especially with a company I’m not that familiar with.

I think all your choices would be fine as rec boats. I used the Necky Rip on Martha’s Vineyard and enjoyed the heck out of it.

I have an Old Town Vapor 10’ and have owned the 12’ version. Both are excellent rec kayaks with plenty of room. stable and track good, and not too heavy. The seats need additional padding