Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Classified Ads Section Input

We're looking for your input as we develop a permanent home for the Classified Ads section of paddling.com and look to move them from the Message Boards:

• What are some tools/features you'd like to see in a Classified Ad section?
  • Would you be willing to pay to enhance a listing?
  • Would you be interested in being a Beta tester?

Please let us know your (constructive) thoughts on the matter!

Comments

• edited January 19

I'm more of a buyer/window shopper than a seller so from that aspect I can say when I see a used boat advertised for sale, it's important to know its location, length, beam, make, model, age, weight, and of course, condition and asking price. Photos important, Contact info too, as sometimes that's overlooked.

Having separate sections for boats, paddles, PFDs, accessories, clothing, etc. would be nice.

Don't know what enhancements would be offered, so pass on that one.

Sure, I'd be happy to be a Beta tester.

• Totally agree with the above! Pictures sell. Details sell. People who have ads should respond to potential buyers. Many times, they do not. Yes, the enhanced ads are worth the extra, but, as a member, it is nice to have the privilege of posting with a picture and being able to have free ads with annual membership. Thanks for all you do for our sport! Yes, I would be a Beta tester.

• Good to be able to sort by basic commodity as indicated by Rookie. I do like being able to see the most recent posts (regardless of commodity) as is possible now, so having that sort option is also good . Other recommendations above echoed by me on more details and photo.

• Brian - I've bought and sold boats on the old and new classified section successfully for years. The only breakdown I've experienced is in contacting the seller so I would encourage you to have direct contact info to the seller for buyers to easily see. I realize there are risks in that but it will get the job done.

I've always liked and have contributed a donation to the SailingTexas site when I've sold sailboats though them. They ask for a donation but don't require it and I hope sellers comply with the request. They are a great resource to the sailing community as you are to kayaks and canoes - you should be compensated by sellers.

I think having separate sections for gear etc is helpful. Beyond that I agree with the suggestions of others - especially those of Pattiwak the Cadillac.

I would be happy to be a beta tester - whatever that is.

• need a form of some type where people can fill in the basic's. One kayak I was interested in had no price. Person never responded to questions either. Basic info should be price, location, condition. Pictures are good to. Kayak listing should be separate from other accessories . Possibly break accessories in a couple of sections as stated above. Also as Rookie said dimensions of boat or link to web site if boat is still made. Age is also good info but many don't like to list it. I have found some composite kayaks 15 years old in really great shape but it's nice to know. Serial number also.

• edited January 25

I concur with jhtjr, direct contact info would be great. In addition to most of the other comments on content, I'd like to see a dedicated section on repair/refinishing history (because I forgot to ask a seller that question last week & wasted a 200 mile round-trip drive). Buyer mistakes aside, the direct contact info would supersede all other content requirements. Eye candy is nice when we are shopping, but when I see a boat I'm looking for, the shopping is over. I need to be able to contact the seller reliably. On that note, I've been using the site all winter for reviews, and yesterday I accidentally stumbled upon the classifieds. I found a canoe I'd like to buy, and became a member in order to contact the seller. However, now that I'm here, I'd be happy to participate and/or contribute to the community.
    Take-home message: The classifieds section increases membership!

• Liked the old classified format for used canoes as one click and all the canoes are listed.

I look at this format and see a fraction of the canoes listed on the previous version.

why is that??

Price should be mandatory with an OBO qualification if the seller wants to include that. A photo.should also be a requirement with the expectation other photos would be provided upon request.

Location is a must.

Would be a neat sticky to have a gallery of each and every model of canoe ever made to help people identify their boats or potential new used boats. That would halp to resolve that often aske question in the forums

No problem with a minimal donation by seller.

thanks,
    Joe
    winterbearrising.wordpress.com

• I know things change, but the way in which the previous buy and sell page was searchable by state, type of boat, etc., was much more convenient. I have bought boats from your previous iteration of the service you provide as well as have sold items on it too. I subscribe to Paddle Perks and the use of the buy sell page is one of the reasons I renew my subscription each year. I think I may have read a few months back that you were not done with the new design of your web site and maybe you will once more format the buy/sell page in a different fashion. If you are done with this page (service), please reconsider how a visitor to this page uses it. I appreciate any web site that has the time the user needs to locate what they are looking for primarily in mind.

• I really thought your old classified ad set up was great. The only thing about it was folks did not always put a price on the item which was aggravating. There should be a need for an asking price of some kind before it is posted. I am waiting for the the new and improved site to post a boat I want to sell.

• Good comments and suggestions! Please keep them coming. We are starting to flesh out what the new Classified Ad section would look like and these posts have played a part in helping us in the process.

1. divide by type (canoe, kayak, paddle clothing (wet suits/ dry suits/dry tops), gear) - sellers should select the category they want the ad to appear
    2. separate by state and regions (Washington/Northwest)
    3. provide option to contact person posting the ad
    4. provide seller with opportunity to post pictures
    5. sort functions are also great (newest to oldest/price high to low/etc...)
  • @Moderator_K said:
    We're looking for your input as we develop a permanent home for the Classified Ads section of paddling.com and look to move them from the Message Boards:

Did not finish comments in my last post. On Craigs list, they absolutely require location, all specs on the boats, year model, and condition. Also, price is a requirement. If we could have all of this info, it would be much easier to determine whether or not to respond to the sellers. So, there could be a form which listed these at sign up. The ads were so inconsistent as they were in the past, requiring all sellers to give important info would make the classified ads more educational and less frustrating for all.

• It was also nice on the old pnet reviews page that you could contact someone on a boat review if you had questions regarding a particular model.

• edited February 5

@Pattiwak said:

@Moderator_K said:

Did not finish comments in my last post. On Craigs list, they absolutely require location, all specs on the boats, year model, and condition. Also, price is a requirement. If we could have all of this info, it would be much easier to determine whether or not to respond to the sellers. So, there could be a form which listed these at sign up. The ads were so inconsistent as they were in the past, requiring all sellers to give important info would make the classified ads more educational and less frustrating for all.

The above should be a minimum. I hate seeing 15 year kayak listed as used twice or never. Newbies are entitled to a year of the craft although I have purchased some like new boats at 15 plus year old that have been great. People should be able to list a price & make offer. Nothing in life is free so a small fee would be OK by me for a six week listing

• I agree with above comments, especially absolutely that PRICE should be a requirement. It was always amazing to me as a used ("certified pre-owned"?)boat buyer, that someone would go to the trouble of listing a myriad of other details(including pictures) about their boat, and yet leave off the most important selling detail. Why waste someone's time as well as their own? :#

• old system was just fine. i miss it. both for purchases, sales and interesting reading. dennis

• I find this classified section so, so much harder to use. Sniff, sniff, so sad.

• edited February 15

@spiritboat said:
    I agree with above comments, especially absolutely that PRICE should be a requirement. It was always amazing to me as a used ("certified pre-owned"?)boat buyer, that someone would go to the trouble of listing a myriad of other details(including pictures) about their boat, and yet leave off the most important selling detail. Why waste someone's time as well as their own? :#

There was one boat listing here who did that all the details but just forgot the price when I inquired. He added it quickly.

• I really had interest in this boat but it was a dead end no response at all. https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/2934256/seaward-passat-double#latest

• @PaddleDog52 said:
    I really had interest in this boat but it was a dead end no response at all. https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/2934256/seaward-passat-double#latest

We have removed the post. The user had not been active since the time of posting the ad... Thanks for letting us know!

• I much prefer older system, location and simple search for kayak, canoe or gear. This is very tedious. I only want to see what is available in my state by category.

1. Ability to search by classification (kayak / canoe / gear - seller should select category when posting);
    2. Ability to filter by oldest to newest and price low to high;
    3. Ability to contact seller via email (hidden) or text (at seller's discretion) so correspondence can be maintained without having to find the original post or share email and text information publicly in order to establish communication.
    4. I would be willing to serve a beta tester.
  • Any updates on this? Please mandate that the seller list location, and add a map feature too!

• Don't need to look at boats from all over the country. Fancy solution would be a map and the potential user clicks on the states they would potentially visit to buy a boat. Less involved would be subforms for mid-atlantic, new england, southeast, Florida, Texas, rest of gulf coast, California, Pacific northwest, interior, Alaska and HI. Not sure how to handle sellers who are willing to deliver to other states.

• I agree with others who have suggested a filter allowing the ability to isolate the object in question. Hidden and secure email address was also a positive suggestion.

Also, including necessary detail such as:
    *Make & Model
    *Age and/or condition
    *Dimensions
    *Weight
    *Price

A combination of the above would serve to expedite the process while providing a more informed and pleasant shopping experience.

(I would be willing to pay for an extended add.)

Thank you for the opportunity to suggest improvement.

• @Monkeyhead said:
    Don't need to look at boats from all over the country. Fancy solution would be a map and the potential user clicks on the states they would potentially visit to buy a boat. Less involved would be subforms for mid-atlantic, new england, southeast, Florida, Texas, rest of gulf coast, California, Pacific northwest, interior, Alaska and HI. Not sure how to handle sellers who are willing to deliver to other states.

I like to look even if it's other side of country to see what's there and gives me idea on prices people are asking.

• Maybe a suggestion is in order that there's no need to include five or more monster sized photos of a boat and accessories, A recent one took so long to load I had to bail out of the site.

• large photos are good for sale. What service do you have that it takes so long?

• @PaddleDog52 said:
    large photos are good for sale. What service do you have that it takes so long?

Our high speed business account. Yes, photos are good. But are 18 photos really necessary to sell one kayak and a couple of paddles?

• A category for kayak type would be great so that I don't have to go through the low-end recreational ones if I'm looking for a fast sea kayak.

I would be happy to beta test (it's my full time job anyway :) ).

• edited March 15

@Rookie said:

@PaddleDog52 said:
    large photos are good for sale. What service do you have that it takes so long?

Our high speed business account. Yes, photos are good. But are 18 photos really necessary to sell one kayak and a couple of paddles?

If I was buying it yes it shows more detail. When I am here I'am here to relax so if it takes 3-4 seconds more no big deal for me. I bought a kayak on ebay with 5 photos and not ones that were the big ebay type a bit unclear. When I bought the kayak I see it was really just in need of a cleaning and waxing. If the guy had bigger detailed photos I probably would have paid few hundred more. Hard sometimes to know whats permanent to the kayak and what's removable with smaller photos. When travaling 3.5 hours each way nice to really know what you're getting.

• this ad took a flash to download with the pictures https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/2934845/for-sale-used-delta-15-5-expedition-1-500-ann-arbor-michigan#latest quarter of a second or even half.

• @Moderator_K said:

@Moderator_K said:

Keeping the State listing so you can easily search for boats in area only.
    being able to put in type of boat and show a pic without paying would be nice too.

• Hmmmmm I like what y'all are thinking about doing. that is why I really came your site, looking to buy a kayak. No classifieds in my area besides craigslist. I have a buddy that ran across this site www.kayaksnearme.com. It is like the airbnb of kayaks, but I think they allow you to sale on there as well.

I will be a beta tester. Sign me up

• Back in December when I inquired, you told me "about a month". You've received lots of suggestions. You can't please everyone, but anything would be better than what you have now. How much longer?

• I found the "old" classifieds to be very workable with one exception. Being able to edit/modify my posts directly would be a very good thing in that it would allow error correction and for changes in price or description in response to questions and comments from potential buyers.
    I always paid the annual fee in order to be eligible for free pictures and would continue to do so if that feature becomes available again.

• @Moderator_K said:

• What are some tools/features you'd like to see in a Classified Ad section? Sort for canoe/Kayak, flatwater/whitewater
    • Would you be willing to pay to enhance a listing? No, I would go to another site.
    • Would you be interested in being a Beta tester? No.

• please have a "drill down" feature on the for sale/adds page. it's soooo much easier if you can narrow the list to your state/region. even size/type of boat or gear. it's a feature you used to have for classified adds :) thank you!

• This new "format" is torturesome! Why are you re-inventing the wheel? For years I could easily find things that I wanted in your old format. Today, I gave up after looking through 6 pages of your classifieds. Everything is jumbled together. If I am looking for a canoe, then I do NOT want to search through kayaks, accessories, etc.

• @jcamry98 said:
    This new "format" is torturesome! Why are you re-inventing the wheel? For years I could easily find things that I wanted in your old format. Today, I gave up after looking through 6 pages of your classifieds. Everything is jumbled together. If I am looking for a canoe, then I do NOT want to search through kayaks, accessories, etc.

As previously mentioned, this current format for the Classified section is temporary on paddling.com. We do not plan to house them in the Message Board area forever and are working on a better system than what was on paddling.net. Unfortunately we do not have an ETA on completion, but rest assured we know this is not ideal and do not plan on keeping it.

1. I think being able to contact the seller directly is far better than the way things are now.
    2. I do not think people should be allowed to make negative/disparaging comments in someone else's for sale thread, particularly concerning the price. The fact that such conduct is tolerated here amazes me.
  • @c2g said:
    1. I think being able to contact the seller directly is far better than the way things are now.
    2. I do not think people should be allowed to make negative/disparaging comments in someone else's for sale thread, particularly concerning the price. The fact that such conduct is tolerated here amazes me.

If you see an objectionable post or comment, please flag it and we will take a look and delete it if we feel it is harmful or unnecessary.

• @Moderator_K said:

@c2g said:

If you see an objectionable post or comment, please flag it and we will take a look and delete it if we feel it is harmful or unnecessary.

I reported a post a while back that said that seller was asking about double what a reasonable price would be. No action was taken, so I assumed the moderators had no objection to it.

I was a bit surprised since that type of thing is not acceptable on other forums I belong to. Expressing that opinion in private contact with the seller would be tolerated, but not posting it in their sale thread. Since I have often received very low offers on items I have had up for sale on other forums, I have developed an appreciation for being able to handle those distasteful interactions in private.

But, at the end of the day, it is your forum and your rules. Thanks for allowing me to express my opinion.

• It seems that spring is the busiest season for buying/selling paddling gear, so I had hoped that the current classifieds would be improved by now. I'd like to see categories of gear (canoes, kayaks, paddles, etc.) to search rather than wading through page after page of gear that does not interest me.

• Being able to isolate my search to a state or mile radius(ex. 300 mile) would
    save plenty of time and frustration.
    Also the ability to "private message" a seller, safely and securely to exchange personal information.
    Craigs list is a simple format for buying and selling. Good model to adopt.
    Good luck and thanks for wanting our input!

• @mrpg72

FYI, private messaging has been available since the switch from Pnet to Pcom. See the message board instructions and features.

• edited April 26

@Moderator_K

I could build this over the weekend, seriously that is what I do. Just contract me and I can do it for a pretty fare price. I built; www.kayaksnearme.com and can change the setting to allow for selling by: type, price, location with a radius, pictures, comments, rating, able to directly contact seller ,etc. Everything that was mentioned in the above section. Get your people what they want and are begging for before they go find it somewhere else.

Contact me:
    Jeremy

• Just go back to the system you used in your old site that worked fine, this one not at all, I hardly ever go here now, I checked the old site out several times a week.

• I agree with Connecticut Yankee, jcamry98, and others -- the old Classifieds were much better. We don't need useless avatars. The old site presented a nice, tight list with many more listings per page. In fact, the whole paddling.net site was easier to use. And why is it taking so long to generate the new Classifieds? I think we're all tired of this message board. Please either bring back the old Classifieds, or start the new one and get us out of this limbo. Thanks for listening.

• Miss the old classifieds. The search features were excellent. i was always willing to pay for paddle perks largely because of the great resource that the classified ads were. I have had a boat listed on this new format for months and have only had one person contact me. It is no longer the "Go to" place for used boats. I miss the old classifieds!

This discussion has been closed.
Message Boards Close

Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!