PLB Shopping

Following my comment on a thread from a little while ago (http://forums.paddling.com/discussion/comment/2934653/#Comment_2934653), I’m quickly becoming convinced that my radio doesn’t offer near the level of “last resort” safety that I originally envisioned. This comes after I finally tried hailing the Coast Guard yesterday from near the Cape Croker lighthouse, Ontario, Canada. My plan was to hail them and get a radio check. No go. I tried twice with about 2 minutes between attempts, and nothing. Now, admittedly, my sample size of “1” is not very scientific. But this place is not what I’d call “very remote” either. There are three factors I can think of that may have played into it: 1) Being behind the high cliffs of the Niagara Escarpment, 2) Maybe they don’t monitor CH16 at this time of year, and 3) There was a large unidentified communication tower nearby, which may have provided signal but I was so close that I was inside the signal dead-zone at the tower. The long and short of it being that if I were in real trouble I’d have been on my own. I checked my phone for reception as well, and again - nothing.

So, I’m revisiting the idea of carrying a PLB. I would be intending to attach this to my PFD for kayaking and be able to swap it to a backpack for hiking in more remote locations.

With a quick Google search, I’ve found one short review of four devices:

• McMurdo FastFind 220
  • SPOT Gen3
  • DeLorme inReach Explorer
  • ACR ResQLink+

http://www.canoekayak.com/gear/4-personal-locator-beacons-reviewed/#FB7ORaZWjX7cQHEs.97

Although the idea of having two way communication is a good selling feature for some devices, I don’t like the subscription fee or that they go through a private network rather than the nationally (internationally?) supported 406 MHz SAR satellite constellations.

Why the heck can’t they put this feature into a marine VHF radio? I’d still like to carry one for local Securite calls and/or Mayday calls with other boats around. Marine weather on a longer trip is also a reason to still carry one, but for a short trip (3 days or so) the forecast prior to leaving is probably going to give enough information.

I was hoping for some personal accounts of device practicality, durability and lifespan. Any links to reviews, good product description web pages and videos, and other options to consider that I haven’t mentioned above would be appreciated.

One of the requirements of the WaterTribe is that a SPOT, handheld VHS and a PLB must be carried. http://watertribe.com/PDF/MustRead/WaterTribeRequiredEquipment.pdf

These are the folks who do very challenging self-supported adventure expeditions. http://watertribe.org/

I follow their events and lurk at their forum because it’s a great classroom. Recently a new Triber asked about PLBs. Greg Stamer’s (KayakVagabond) post included a nice photo comparison of PLB sizes.
http://watertribe.org/forums/topic/what-epirb-for-ec

I have one more thing to add to the discussion. For those of you with more than a little grey hair that traveled into remote regions solo or with small groups, what did you do prior to the availability of current two-way satellite technology? I know sat phones have been around for a long time, but I have to assume they weren’t practical for the average backcountry trip.

It’s a tough call for me whether technology is the answer or not. I’m not the kind of person that’s likely to require rescue, but I’m also not the kind of person to think it could never happen.

I decided to check out where the nearest CG radio station is, and look at the signal path to that location. There are four stations around where I was located: Tobermory, Wiarton, Meaford, and Pointe au Baril. Most of these can be ruled out immediately due to their distance.

Wiarton was the closest, so I used Google Earth to look at an approximate signal path between myself and the station. There are better tools for this but Google Earth was quick and easy, not to mention after looking at the analysis it’s clear that the antenna height at the CG’s peripheral radio station would have to be astronomically high to make this work.

Looking at the above, I’m located at the far right. The signal would have to travel through the cliff directly to the west of me that’s 54m (177’) above my position, then through the two bluffs that rise 114m (374’) above me. All of this at a distance of over 26km (16 miles). Even with a much more powerful radio and a considerably taller antenna, not going to happen.

The signal path to Tobermory looked more feasible… if I’d have gone a bit farther north around the bluff, the CG tower in Tobermory was very tall, and my radio actually had the power to reach 60km - which it doesn’t… oh, and of course the curvature of the earth couldn’t be in the way - which it is. :wink:

I wish there was a more accurately detailed coverage map, such as you find with cell phone towers and internet providers. This would show topographic “shadow” areas not reached at average antenna heights.

I’ve done many solo trips relying on nothing except my own naivete and good bones (the kind that resist breakage). Now, I’m older (soon to be senior) and my bones aren’t so tough. I bought a McMurdo FastFind a few years back. One thing I’ll advise, most “deals” are for units that have been on the shelf for a year or more. The battery life may be dubious. Since most can only be recharged by sending them to the factory, that can be a problem.

McMurdo and ACR are true PLBs. They have a different term for the SPOTs and InReach devices.

If true last resort emergency contact is what you want, get a true PLB. Supposedly their satellites are more reliable/more coverage (though not likely an issue where you are - more of an issue if you are away from civilization). And they don’t have the monthly fees that the other two have. I went with the ACR. Don’t remember the exact reason why I chose it over McMurdo, but I am sure cost was a main factor.

Keep in mind, the current PLBs do send a GPS signal, which speeds the information up. But, they only send when a satellite is in range, and supposedly you should expect a half hour before it triggers )the non-GPS ones we used to use were hours, and that only got them to within a mile or two). Then there will be time as the office in Colorado starts tracking down who owns it and gets info (calls numbers you have listed) to determine what the issue may be and who to call out, and then they have to respond. Won’t be better (but maybe not worse either ) for SPOT or InReach - just something you need to keep in mind. Wear clothing and bring supplies needed to survive a few hours.

I paddle the coast of British Columbia and there are lots of areas where you won’t have radio reception. Ditto for cell. Sat phones work but they seem overly large and put you in touch with anybody you may or may not want to talk to. Think about it. I personally choose to be out of communications while on trips so I don’t want too much technology that allow non-participants to set unreasonable expectations . Call me selfish.

I carry an FM radio for weather reports and communications with partners / shipping traffic, a Spot so that folks back home can see where I am and a ResQLink+ in case I really need help. The FM is in my PFD pocket. The Spot and PLB are easily accessible in the sleeve pockets of my drysuit.

I used carry an ACR TerraFix 406 which was the size and weight of a brick plus it didn’t fit anyplace comfortably so it was on my backpack ditchbag that I could only access if both of my arms were functional. The smaller/lighter/floating ResQLink+ is a better tool for me since it is small, light, floats and is easily accessed if thing go bad.

When I am paddling none of these tools are distracting. They work for me.

Jon
http://3meterswell.blogspot.com

I picked one up after becoming a dad. Piece of mind for the wife, and I’m not getting any younger. I got the floating ACR ResQlink+, attaches nicely to the life jacket with a heavy duty velcro strap which is included. If I were to buy again I’d consider the non-floating model, because it’s slightly more compact and lighter, and get the optional floating case for it to attach to my life jacket. I carry it on the few weekend trips I can get out on nowadays, but had visions of spending more time in Maine and Newfoundland when I purchased it. If I was still getting out and paddling solo in the winter season I’d carry it as well. I’ve been taking it backpacking in the northeast, but adding it in with a current smartphone starts to up the weight and bulk. Will probably start leaving it home for weekend hiking trips, and keep it for on water excursions. If I was hiking out west or something more remote I’d drag it along.

https://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/resqlink-plb/#sthash.aGhVZLT4.dpbs

I purchased the non-floating ACR ResQlink+ back in early 2012. As Johnysmoke mentioned the non-floating model is more compact and at the time I ordered it ACR provided a slip-on neoprene case with lash tab. I have my PLB tethered to an internal pocket in my PFD. I’ve tested it annually, but never had to use it. Per documentation from ACR the battery is good for five years and mine will ‘expire’ next month. The battery can only be replaced by an ACR approved service center. The cost is approximately $112 + shipping. I will likely ship mine off in early March.

Thanks for the input so far. A few general questions/comments:

Regarding the floating neoprene cases, are they somehow attached to the unit or do the just slip on the outside? The pictures I’ve seen make it look like it just slips in, and thus could just slip out too. My thought would be to tether it. I suppose you could argue that it it gets away from you in rough conditions on the water you’re not going to find it whether it floats or not.

Seems like the ACR is more popular so far. It certainly “looks” nicer, but more importantly it looks like it would fit in a pocket better with no sharp-ish corners. I do like what McMurdo does with their antenna much better. It seems like its tucked away in a much safer place. After doing a lot of reading on my own, I don’t think 2-way messaging is the way to go in my case. Fate may prove me wrong at some point, but if I’m ever to the point of activating one of these I really do need someone to come and help me.

I think it’s going to come down to cost in the end, with some definite consideration to form factor and weight. My go-to source for outdoor equipment (MEC) doesn’t list ACR products, so it might be harder to find a good vendor. Lots online, of course, but sellers are often from the US and it gets to be a real pain. It would be nice to somehow know when purchasing how long it has been sitting around for.

I’m amazed that the puny little radio signal from these things can be picked up by a satellite. Just think, among all the rest of the radio noise around us it can pick out this one little signal and lock onto it. Of course, I like the idea of always having the option to press the “rescue me” button just about anywhere I go. But I can’t help but think about the number of people that will just pick up one of these in lieu of any real planning and skills development for wilderness travel. I wonder if the frequency of rescues will (or already has) increase(d) because of the dropping cost of PLBs.

One comment - another consideration for getting a signal out depending on location could be the DSC feature in newer VHF’s. You could get a few with this feature last year and it should be much more common by this spring. Obviously it still has to be picked up, but it can get picked up by any craft within range rather than waiting for a satellite as is needed with some other kinds of devices.

“DSC is a paging system that uses data signals to automate the transmission and reception of calls on VHF marine radio channel 70.
A DSC message is a brief burst of digitised information transmitted from one station to alert another station or stations. The DSC message automatically indicates the identity of the calling station and the priority/purpose of the call.
Every DSC radio has a unique number, which you use to call other radios, just like a mobile phone. However, unlike mobile phones, DSC allows you to call every other radio in range at the same time if you are in trouble.
Following an alert by DSC message, communications are established between the transmitting station and the receiving station(s) by radiotelephone on a different channel to that used for the DSC call.
DSC is used by ship and coast stations for sending and relaying distress alerts and for other urgency and safety traffic. It can also be used for routine calls.
DSC also offers the ability to send and receive GPS positions - all DSC radios can be connected to a GPS receiver.”

Mostly I paddle off the Maine Coast and Lake Superior in Ontario…
While cell and VHF radio is useful in Maine my remarks are geared toward more wilderness territory.

My VHF radio is only good for weather in the latter area… Not much commercial boat traffic nearshore between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste Marie… Cell phone is of course useless in this area.

There are some marine dealers in Canada …I looked up Brewers Marine supply in Hamilton
You might check White Squall in Parry Sound… If they dont carry PLBs they can undoubtedly point you in the right direction.

I have my ACR PLB in a little mesh bag binered to my PFD.

@Celia said:
One comment - another consideration for getting a signal out depending on location could be the DSC feature in newer VHF’s. You could get a few with this feature last year and it should be much more common by this spring. Obviously it still has to be picked up, but it can get picked up by any craft within range rather than waiting for a satellite as is needed with some other kinds of devices.

Not a DSC user here, but from my understanding all DSC does is send GPS coords out with the signal. Given that the original poster was worried about not getting any response to his radio test calls, having DSC likely wouldn’t help this at all. Sending the GPS signal out doesn’t do anything if no one is listening.

If he did have contact with coast guard or ship equipped with DSC receiver, the DSC would make the finding of him much faster.

My personal side on why I don’t use DSC - it seems that VHFs have much shorter lives than I like. In 10 years I have gone through quite a few VHFs (Icom, Uniden, and Cobra brand ones). So I have learned to expect it, and stick to less pricey models. Might as well pay as little as possible if they aren’t going to last. Latest strategy was to buy from West Marine and pay for their extended warranty so I can hopefully just go in and have them replace when it dies. We shall see how that works.

@kayamedic : I hadn’t considered White Squall for this, but I’ll check into it. They tend to be a bit pricey for some things. Thanks for the suggestions.

@Chodups : Well put. I don’t think it’s being selfish though. If it is, then count me in.

@Celia / @Peter-CA : I opted not to go for DSC when I purchased my VHF for simplicity’s sake. It’s hard enough to try to even use the PTT button on the radio while paddling in challenging conditions. Forget trying to navigate a menu on the device and make selections! Although true that a repeating digital signal with error correction (DSC) will get through a weak transmission link better than analog audio (voice), there was no chance my signal would ever reach the GC in the above example, DSC or not.

So, with the ACR ResQlink family, I’m a bit confused. Are there just two models - the ResQlink and the ResQlink+ ? Is the only difference between the two that the ResQlink+ floats and is a bit bulkier because of it?

I did notice on some eBay listings that there was a warning about units being programmed for use in the USA only. Odd considering they should work worldwide. Maybe it’s just the coordination centre that first gets the notification? Regardless, I’ll have to watch out for this if purchasing online.

Mine is supposed to work worldwide… I really never go by descriptions on E bay… Often the seller is foreign or in the gray market or has no idea…

https://www.acrartex.com/support/faqs/personal-locator-beacon-faqs/#q-4676

Units are registered in your home country . They can be used worldwide.

@Sparky961 said:
Thanks for the input so far. A few general questions/comments:

Regarding the floating neoprene cases, are they somehow attached to the unit or do the just slip on the outside? The pictures I’ve seen make it look like it just slips in, and thus could just slip out too. My thought would be to tether it. I suppose you could argue that it it gets away from you in rough conditions on the water you’re not going to find it whether it floats or not.

Seems like the ACR is more popular so far. It certainly “looks” nicer, but more importantly it looks like it would fit in a pocket better with no sharp-ish corners. I do like what McMurdo does with their antenna much better. It seems like its tucked away in a much safer place. After doing a lot of reading on my own, I don’t think 2-way messaging is the way to go in my case. Fate may prove me wrong at some point, but if I’m ever to the point of activating one of these I really do need someone to come and help me.

I think it’s going to come down to cost in the end, with some definite consideration to form factor and weight. My go-to source for outdoor equipment (MEC) doesn’t list ACR products, so it might be harder to find a good vendor. Lots online, of course, but sellers are often from the US and it gets to be a real pain. It would be nice to somehow know when purchasing how long it has been sitting around for.

The neo case stays on the unit via a Velcro flap. I simply use the case to protect the unit rather than for its buoyancy. Whether or not the case is on, I still have the PLB tethered directly to my pfd. The ACR has rounded corners and easily fits into two pockets on my Astral Sea Wolf life jacket. Instructions indicate that the front of the unit requires an unblocked view of the sky to acquire satellites. So the case would have to be removed before the PLB is deployed/activated. I believe that either the floating or non-floating ACR ResQlink+ will have to be manually “aimed” by the user at the sky. If you put the floating one in the water with the antenna deployed it’s just going to put the PLB over so it’s not aimed in the correct direction. If I was to actually use it I would leave the PLB tethered; lay on my back in the water; deploy the antenna and point it toward the sky with one hand or something to that effect.

So, with the ACR ResQlink family, I’m a bit confused. Are there just two models - the ResQlink and the ResQlink+ ? Is the only difference between the two that the ResQlink+ floats and is a bit bulkier because of it?

That is correct. The only difference between the two ACR ResQlink+ units is that bit of flotation they put around the perimeter of the unit. It looks like a plastic ‘roll cage’. It might be of benefit if you are not going to tether the unit, but if conditions are truly rough I don’t see it as a major advantage.

UPDATE:

I decided eventually on the Ocean Signal PLB1 due to the small size and because I couldn’t get over how much I didn’t like how the antenna wrapped around the outside of the ACR units. I ruled out the McMurdo early on because I didn’t like how they did their cover or antenna either. Not to mention both ACR and McMurdo were considerably larger and heavier.

It arrived in the mail yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised at how small it is! The antenna pulls out fairly easily using one hand to hold the unit and the other to pull it out. The extended length is about 12". I suspect that I’d be able to pull it out with my teeth if the need arose. The knob to wind the antenna back in is small for my hands, and requires some effort to turn. If you let go of the knob it will spring back a turn or so while winding. The spring-loaded safety flap over the activation and test buttons comes open fairly easily once you get a finger under the edge. It seems like a good compromise between avoiding inadvertent activation and making it easy to activate when you need it.

There were some extra goodies in the box that I didn’t realize I’d be getting with it. There’s a pouch, which I have to assume floats but I’m unlikely to use it. There’s also a plastic clip and rubber strap for mounting on whatever you can think of. The clip fits very securely, though I’m not sure I’d trust the rubber strap with keeping the PLB attached in the worst situations. I’m more comfortable with the PLB inside a pocket and tethered with a lanyard.

The lanyard itself was a bit funny. It seems to be high quality cordage but it’s just a generous length supplied with raw cut ends. There’s no knot, no loop, no crimped ferule, nothing. I guess they figure if you’re going to be going places you need a PLB you should already be able to tie some decent knots. :wink:

I lost count of how many times “THIS UNIT DOES NOT FLOAT” or similar was written on the PLB or in the manual. I’m thinking they’ve had some issues with this. Also of interest is a note on the bottom of the unit that reads: “Compass safe distance: 0.5m” I’m not sure if that means any time or just when it’s transmitting. If it’s any time, that would mean you couldn’t safely wear the PLB and use a compass comfortably in your hand. Maybe at full arm extension.

One small disappointment was that my unit’s battery will expire in October 2022. By my calculations, that’s 5-1/2 years remaining. On the front of the box they advertise 7 year battery life. Same thing on the web site where I purchased it. I haven’t yet decided whether I should complain to the place I purchased it about this little fact. Thoughts?

I’ve registered this unit with the Canadian Beacon Registry, as there are plenty of notices in the box that tell me to do it. Registration was very straight forward and allowed for lots of free-form data that may aid in some future rescue situation. Everything is easy to update when things change in the future. On the FAQ it mentions that using the beacon “TEST” function after you’ve registered should result in an email being sent to you to confirm the test. Though it only confirms the signal, not the GPS coordinates of a GPS test. I haven’t tested it yet, as I figure I’d give their database a day or two to propagate to whatever servers need the data.

Here are some photos showing how amazingly tiny this thing is:

With a Clif bar and credit card equivalent (3-3/8 in × 2-1/8 in)

In my hand, which is admittedly larger than average

Box contents, excluding the manuals and inserts

@Sparky961

Like you, I’m very happy with the size and light weight. It’s like a feather compared to the floating ACR I initially purchased.

The pouch doesn’t float. It’s for attaching the PLB to a belt or maybe a backpack.

I had read a warning about checking the battery expiration date, which was the reason I went to West Marine instead of buying online. That was the first question I asked when initially purchasing the ACR and then exchanging it for the PLB1. I was told they will not sell a unit without the full advertised battery life. Mine expires in 2024. If I were you, I’d complain as you didn’t receive what you ordered and paid for.

I did my online registration with NOAA/SARSAT and in today’s mail was the registration sticker required in the U.S. to be affixed to the PLB. The accompanying letter stated it’s good for two years; they send out a registration renewal reminder two months in advance.

I attached the PLB and clip to my PFD tonight, as I’m leaving early in the morning for Lake Michigan/Sturgeon Bay. Also used the lanyard but didn’t like the setup so removed everything and will carry the PLB in my drysuit sleeve pocket. Did test the signal tonight; Ocean Signal recommends doing that once a month. No emails sent here in the U.S. Just a green light and the strobe blinks on the PLB.

The GPS test I haven’t done yet since the manual advises to do that only once a year and warns that the GPS receiver is limited to 10 tests over the lifetime of the battery. Maybe tomorrow from the beach as I’ll have a very clear open sky.

Do you have a warning in your manual to do the tests only within the first five minutes of the hour?

@Rookie said:
The pouch doesn’t float. It’s for attaching the PLB to a belt or maybe a backpack.

What was that?.. “THIS UNIT DOES NOT FLOAT” :smile: Good to know.

If I were you, I’d complain as you didn’t receive what you ordered and paid for.

Without making it an entire day, going somewhere to purchase in person wasn’t feasible. I’d have preferred it too. I think I’ll at least call and talk to them about the reduced lifespan.

Do you have a warning in your manual to do the tests only within the first five minutes of the hour?

I was going to say “no”, but after re-reading it my answer is “yes”. The issue is with the transmission burst on 121.5MHz, which is used for short range position homing on the aircraft distress channel (as I’m sure you also read in the same manual). I scanned the Wikipedia page on PLBs tonight, and I’m guessing this would be treated similarly to what is said for ELTs. Under the heading “Operation Testing”, is the following paragraph:

According to the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration, ground testing of A-, B-, and S-type ELTs is to be done within the first 5 minutes of each hour. Testing is restricted to three audio sweeps.[10] Type I and II devices (those transmitting at 406 MHz) have a self test function and must not be activated except in an actual emergency.

(From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_position-indicating_radiobeacon_station)

Since the modern PLBs we’re interested in use digital signals, they can indicate to the satellites on 406MHz that it’s only a test, but the 121.5 MHz signal is just an analogue tone/warbler. As I understand it, the older devices were not able to generate a separate distinguishable test signal. Hence the period of time allocated that you can activate it for testing without causing a false alarm.