Big Guys and Kayaking

First off, Hello world! I’m a newbie to kayaks and am looking to get my feet wet. So I’m here for a little education.

I’m a big guy, 6ft and 320 lbs. with bad ankles and worse balance. I’m a fisherman and scuba diver based in Florida and researching kayaks that will work as a platform for both of those hobbies and not break the bank.

I’ve seen a number of posts about kayak recommendations for big guys. Most of the time recommendations are for Hobies, Jacksons, Natives, etc. Pardon my ignorance, but while the rigs look amazing, I don’t understand why folks spend $2000-3000 on a kayak when they can find small power and flats boats in that range.

So my question is to the budget minded newbie big man. Are there decent options out there that are well under $1000 and in that 500+ lbs weight capacity? Thus far my research has turned up the likes of the Eddie-gear Stingray XL, the Vibe Sea Ghost 130, the Perception Striker 11.5 and a couple of the Perception tandem boats. Any one out there have any input or recommendations?

First, make sure the boat you want can handle a good 50 pounds more than you weigh,. They may say a certain max load, but when you approach it, you often find that performance/speed/stability/etc. varies.

Florida, many people use sit on top kayaks. Of the boats you listed that I know, does look like you are also looking at SOTs.

You are going to do best with longer boats. The 11.5, and even the 13, mentioned would have to be very wide to be able to handle your weight. Better to look at longer and narrower (all relative - you are still looking at 30"+ width).

You may want to consider one of the doubles out there that can be used as a single (so seat can be moved to middle position). Ocean Kayak Malibu 2XL comes to mind. Maybe the Malibu 2 also.

_ @brandonwanner@comcast.net said:
First off, Hello world! I’m a newbie to kayaks and am looking to get my feet wet. So I’m here for a little education.

I’m a big guy, 6ft and 320 lbs. with bad ankles and worse balance. I’m a fisherman and scuba diver based in Florida and researching kayaks that will work as a platform for both of those hobbies and not break the bank.
_ _Pardon my ignorance, but while the rigs look amazing, I don’t understand why folks spend $2000-3000 on a kayak when they can find small power and flats boats in that range.
__>

You are looking for a boat that does the work of a skiff that fits the description of a kayak and doesn’t cost much. I can understand the confusion. Look at it this way. There are beach cruiser bicycles and there are Tour de-France bicycles. One cost more than the other. Boats are that way too.

A 320 # paddler is a bigger than usual paddler down here. It can be like putting a 3/4 ton load in a 1/4 ton pick up. It might work for a little while, then…

You are in Florida. It is a big state. However, there are outfitters all over the state renting kayaks for paddling and guiding trips. How many have you been on? You say “worse balance”. Perhaps the question is would you rather spend $1000 on a boat recommended by people you’ve never seen and find it won’t work… or … spend $40 on a trip and find you like/don’t like kayaking and try a boat on for size with no long term financial responsibility. It is a particular skill set. Work on getting used to kayaks and paddling them then work on all that other stuff. Also in kayaking it is said that you _put on _a kayak you don’t ride on it.

I have no idea how “worse balance” would do a water re-entry/self rescue to a SOT kayak with dive gear on and not loose it to the bottom. Work on one thing at a time.

Here is a web site devoted to fishing kayaks in Florida. See what they say…

jaxkayakfishing.com/

If you are in NE Florida try Meet Up group , Kayak Intros.
meetup.com/Northeast-Florida-Kayak-Intros/
The truth is they are a code name for their sponsor Black Creek Outfitters. They have a try it day and put a bunch of boats out back in the pond and give some basic instruction and let you get used to the boats. They can fit the boat to the paddler.

blackcreekoutfitters.com/

If you are in Tampa/ St Pete look up Sweetwater Kayaks. They can sell you a $4,000 kayak or put you in a $500 kayak. The difference is that they are concerned with the sport and will endeavor to put you in a boat that fits your style and size.

sweetwaterkayaks.wordpress.com/

PS>>>…
It has been said and frequently demonstrated that a kayaker getting into a kayak that tries to keep his feet dry will likely fall into the water and get all wet.

Brandon, another thing. The general rule about kayak design is … Long and skinny kayak usually means fast and “tippy.” Short and wide usually means slower and stable.

You are a fisherman and a scuba diver. Sit-on-top kayaks are far more suited to fishing than sit-inside kayaks, and you can anchor a sit-on-top kayak and dive from it. Sit-on-top kayaks are also safer than sit-inside kayaks, because if you end up in the water, it’s easy to climb back onto a sit-on-top kayak, but much harder to get back into a sit-inside kayak, even with the help of a couple of other kayakers.

But before you spend money on a sit-on-top kayak, I suggest that you determine if you can climb back onto it from the water. You may never flip over your kayak, but if you do, and you can’t climb back onto it, you could be in a lot of trouble. So try climbing back onto a sit-on-top kayak in a pool or next to a dock. Your scuba diving experience should help you. Go with an experienced kayaker or salesperson so they can help you with the technique of climbing back onto a kayak. If you can’t do it, I suggest that you forget about kayaking and get some other watercraft. To kayak safely, you need to be able to climb back onto a kayak from the water, and you need to practice that skill so you can do it quickly and easily if you get dumped out of your kayak.

Here’s how to climb back onto a sit-on-top kayak: Grab the gunwale with both hands. Kick your feet so you’re lying horizontal in the water. With one fast motion, pull the kayak underneath you, and then quickly push forward until your head is sticking over the other side of the kayak. Then roll over on your side and sit up. Practice until you can right your kayak and climb back onto it in about 20 seconds. I snorkel and speargun for pike in Montana from a sit-on-top kayak while wearing a drysuit, about 15 pounds of weight on my body, and about 3.5 pounds of weight on each ankle, and I climb back onto my kayak many times a day using this technique.

Floating vertical in the water and trying to chin yourself on the gunwale of a kayak won’t work; you’ll just pull the kayak over on top of you. I don’t find rope stirrups to be at all helpful, and you can spend a lot of time in the water deploying them, but some people use them. If you don’t have any gear in the rear cargo area of your kayak, you may be able to pull yourself up on the stern of the kayak and work your way forward. Because you are a big guy, it will be easier for you to climb back onto a large and wide kayak like a Hobie Pro Angler.

If you want to fish from a kayak, consider getting a pedal kayak, which will leave both of your hands free for fishing, eating lunch, putting on sunscreen, sending pictures of your fish to facebook, etc. Pedal kayaks tend to be more expensive than paddle kayaks, but they have some huge advantages for fishing. And you aren’t going to be able to buy much of a motorboat for the cost of a brand new pedal kayak.

Thanks you for the great info and expertise.

I definitely plan on getting out there and trying before I buy, As you mentioned it’s possible kayaking won’t be a thing for me right now, but one never knows until they try. I’m in Tallahassee FL, we have a couple rental options nearby, and I’ll be taking advantage of their services soon. Got a couple great local kayak shops also willing to do gear tests. Looks like it’s time to get wet!

I am familiar with being on the water and know better than to get in over my head without knowing how or rather if I can save myself first. Thanks for the tips on getting in the kayak, that will definitely be one of the first things I work on. Last thing I want to do is get fall overboard and get swept out to sea in a rip current.

I have been drooling over the pedal kayaks, and would love to have one. That shiny new Pescador Pilot sure looks pretty in the store window, but the wife’s reaction to the price tag was less understanding, lol. You know what they say. Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Since you weigh 320 pounds, you’re going to need a big kayak. Take a look at the Hobie Pro Anglers. They are sufficiently big that most people trailer them, but they can handle your weight, There are a lot of used Hobie kayaks for sale on the Hobie Kayak Fishing Facebook page.

If you show your wife the difference in price between a used pedal kayak and a motorboat, or even just a motor, she may realize the financial merits of letting you buy a pedal kayak.

Some sources…

1. Don’t know these guys but they are members of Florida Paddle Trails Association , FPTA

http://www.floridapaddlingtrails.com/upload/partners/florida_kayak_school.jpg
989 Parkview Drive
Tallahassee, FL 32311

Tommy Thompson

Phone 850-445-3236

Note too they sponsor a meet up group…(likely run it too)
meetup.com/Paddle-Tallahassee-and-North-Florida/

1. Paddle Florida usually uses The Wilderness Way Outfitters for their Dam to Bay trip. PF outfitters are usually pretty good.
    The Wilderness Way
    3152 Shadeville Road
    850-877­-7200
    http://thewildernessway.net/index.html

2. And I’m familiar with these folks from the Florida Paddle Rendezvous every year. They can be good information. http://www.clubkayak.com/ackc/default.asp
    https://www.facebook.com/ApalacheeCanoeKayakClub

Next Club Meeting:
Meetings are the 3rd Wed. of each month
Apalachee Canoe and Kayak Club
Join us at Beef O’Bradys at
1800 Thomasville Rd, Tallahassee,
Dinner at 6pm, Program at 7pm.

Thanks y’all.

I’ve been to wilderness way and they seem like good folks, very knowledgeable. I’ll check into the clubs, I’m all about getting involved in a community like that.

So if I’m reading right, your opinion is that the max weight ratings are not a good guideline? I was using that as a primary determination, so maybe I don’t know what I’m looking for. I assumed it was as simple as get the biggest, widest thing I can afford with the largest max weight rating I can find and as long as it is light enough for me to heft onto a rack, I’m good to go.

Also, whats the whole business with paddles? Everyone I’ve asked or have read seems to have a different idea on what paddle everyone else should be using. What shape, how long it needs to be, if the blade should be flat or curved. It’s a bit intense. Then again, maybe I just read too much, lol.

I’d suggest you chat with the folks at ACK …austinkayak.com
They are all about kayaks and fishing. Take a look at their website and send them an email about your needs and price range. I’m sure they have outfitted many paddlers in your size range. I bought my first SOT kayak from them and they have always been quick to answer all my questions.
Here’s a couple that might be a possibility.
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/10271/Feelfree-Moken-14-Angler-Kayak.html
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/22215/Ocean-Kayak-Prowler-Big-Game-Angler-II-Kayak.html

The advice I got when I started paddling was to buy the best paddle I could afford, and that was good advice. Your paddle is your motor and if it’s cheap & heavy you won’t be happy. You don’t have to buy the most expensive paddle, but don’t cheap out either. The length of your paddle will be determined by the width of the kayak you choose, coupled with your paddling style. Here’s some links to help you.
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/kayak-paddle.html
http://www.wernerpaddles.com/fit-guide/
https://www.aquabound.com/kayak-paddle-sizing-guide

@brandonwanner@comcast.net said:
Thanks y’all.

I’ve been to wilderness way and they seem like good folks, very knowledgeable. I’ll check into the clubs, I’m all about getting involved in a community like that.

So if I’m reading right, your opinion is that the max weight ratings are not a good guideline? I was using that as a primary determination, so maybe I don’t know what I’m looking for. I assumed it was as simple as get the biggest, widest thing I can afford with the largest max weight rating I can find and as long as it is light enough for me to heft onto a rack, I’m good to go.

Also, whats the whole business with paddles? Everyone I’ve asked or have read seems to have a different idea on what paddle everyone else should be using. What shape, how long it needs to be, if the blade should be flat or curved. It’s a bit intense. Then again, maybe I just read too much, lol.

Max weight tells you what the boat was designed for. If it is designed for 300# max weight and you get in with your equipment, cooler, lunch, anchor, etc. performance will not be per specification.** Max weight is a good thing. ** But not the only thing. Specifications that list paddler weight range and max weight are an excellent thing.

Max weight includes paddler, safety gear, equipment, lunch etc. It is a balancing act. All those factors add up to capability and “cost.” If all you want is to car carry it to a fishing spot, launch, paddle a real short distance and fish in good weather short and wide will likely fit the bill. If you want to go with a group, put in up stream and “drift” downstream one way then short and wide is probably good. But don’t sign up to paddle one of those on a 20 mile, 3-4 mph average paddle, in 10 - 15 mph winds with some serious sea kayakers. For your purposes maybe, " the biggest, widest thing I can afford with the largest max weight rating I can find " is suitable for what you intend to do with it. There isn’t a kayak that is good for all things no matter what people say. Remember you put on a kayak. Think clothes. You put them on. What I wear you might not wear. But what you wear suits your purpose.

Which is the paddle thing. A lot of it is personal preference. I suspect with the elbows at 90 degrees and paddle horizontal over head you’ll need a fairly long paddle. Most beginners paddle with a wide, sweep style of stroke. It is what the outfitter will tell you to do. Likely a 230cm paddle with plastic blade. Big guy, wide boat likely means long paddle. A 230 is pretty common straight shaft with a “European blade” (slight spoon), approx. $100.
Now if you decide to be an expedition seakayaker and paddle the CT then you’ll need the best marriage between you and the paddle and the boat since you’ll be paddling 10 and 15 hour days for weeks and months at a time.

Good luck and good paddling.

You’ve all given me so much to thing about and have been so generous with our knowledge. Hopefully I can pay that forward. I have a lot to chew on, which is almost as much fun as the boating itself. Hope to catch y’all on the water sometime.
In the meantime, Thank you.

@brandonwanner@comcast.net said:

Max weight is a good guideline, but unfortunately not all manufacturers treat it the same. Some list a weight at which if you exceed you will change the performance significantly. Others choose a weight above this, at which point the boat will almost sink (the performance change occurred at a lower weight). Unfortunately, you can’t tell which they use, so the safe thing to do is make sure you aren’t that close to the max weight rating.

There is variations in paddles based on what people like. but with the boats you are looking at, you will likely want a longish one - at least 220, but probably no more than 240. A basic mid-level (about $150 price range) touring paddle would probably do you fine. I wouldn’t get bent shaft, wing, or greenland paddle at first (if at all). Long term, it is good to have a spare paddle, so if you do find the mid-level one you got wasn’t exactly what you wanted, you buy another and keep that one as the backup.

I was told by someone who works for Ocean Kayak that a good rule of thumb on weight capacity is 65%-75% of the listed capacity. Beyond that, you’ll have water up through the scuppers & performance will suffer. Most SOT kayaks have scupper plugs that can off set that a little bit. Ocean Kayak makes some really nice ones that keep water out, but still allow water to drain. However, they still have a max out point, where a little water comes in. I am not a small person, and there are some multi-day trips where I have to carry my drinking/cooking water. I start the trip kind of “barged” out at about 75% capacity, but that goes away as the water is used.

That Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game Angler II would be a good fit, with a 600 pound capacity. For a 320 pound person, that would give you a 390-450 range. For fishing & scuba, the OP’s stated purpose, that would be a be a nice kayak. He’s just got to convince his wife on the $1400 price tag.

Are there certain features, brands, etc. I should avoid either because of quality concerns, or known problems? i.e. something I should be wary of?

I’ve looked at dozens of SOT kayaks from big names to small shops, and all have small variations on the same theme. I’ve had kayakers tell me stay away from box stores, but I see some box store kayaks sitting in my local kayak shop. I’ve had salesmen claim outside of the drive system there’s nothing you can get from a Hobie you can’t get in a Wilderness or Kaku for $1000 less.

The options make my head spin. I expect throwing a kayak or seven in the water will help. However, I intend to start that endeavor with a short list, but an open mind.

I’ve got a tandem Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL. It’s listed as 400lbs max weight and going out with one of my sons we are probably pushing 360-370lbs and we do get water up through the scupper holes. I installed scupper drain plugs that allow water out but not in. That helped. Definitely take weight ratings with a grain of salt.

I hope my latest take on the topic helps:

http://paddlingandsailing.blogspot.com/p/kayaks-for-fat-paddlers.html

nice blog! I was impressed with the quality of the comments and quanity of the boats that you reviewed. Thanks for keeping it real.

cobra fish n dive will handle up to 600 lbs and has an aft space setup for scuba tank storage. I have a used one for sale with a new electric motor and fish finder for $600,