Werner Corryvreckan Carbon vs. Ikelos

Anyone use both? Any opinions in differences? Thanks,

Close to your question but not exactly. The Ikelos is my usual paddle for most stuff & I use a glass Corryvreckan for surf and rock gardening. I chose glass partly for strength (perhaps a little more flexible and not brittle?) and partly because it’s cheaper so I won’t cringe at beating it up or cry as much if I break it. However my local dealer said she has beaten & abused her Ikelos and not broken it. I find the Ikelos smoother & easier in linking strokes and more forgiving of less than perfect paddle control. It also seems to “find” the surface more readily - almost automatically - for a roll setup. The Corryvreckan is a fine paddle that I like a lot, but if I could only have one I’d pick the Ikelos. But since I don’t have to have only one, I went with the combo I chose for my purposes.

1 Like

Ugh, those are some big blades, use them wisely or you’ll be dealing with some injuries.
If they still make it, I’d put a Lendal Xrange on the list as well, good combination of a large, light, strong paddle, with a really forgiving catch. Buoyant as well.
I have a carbon Coryvreckan one piece that is a monster. Enormous blades with a strong catch but squirrelly release, lots of power. A very stiff and unforgiving setup. Great for rock gardens and surf. Took it on a ten day trip and had to be very mindful the first few days of technique, was on the verge of getting some tendonitis, but a little vitamin I and a loose grip beat it. That was when I paddled a few times a week, and was in good “paddling” shape. I got a Lendal carbon Xrange 750 shortly after, and the Coryvreckan has been gathering dust ever since.
I destroy the Werner foam core paddles. IMO you need to baby them a bit. Although I did just pick up a Cyprus at an REI garage sale, to gear down a bit, which seems to be a theme as I age. I’ve had much better luck with Lendals for durability. But if you’re looking for a big light open water paddle, the Ikelos might work, although I might just check out a wing at that point.

Johny - I agree with you about blade size. Those paddles aren’t everyone’s cup of tea. The Cyprus you mention is a nice paddle too and deserves a look. Its non-foam brother the Shuna is my foredeck spare when touring, partly for the gear down concept if/when wanted.

I have a Ikelos 205 & 215 and a Shuna 215 and a Kalliste 215? I guess the glass Corryvreckan is not as smooth on the back as the foam core Corryvreckan . Some times I think a little more bite would be good. I read that the Corryvreckan flutters more I think it has less dihedral than the Ikelos. I use the 205 with my Current Designs Nomad/ Extreme and the 215 with the CD Libra XT. I use both in my CD Solstice. I wish I had a 210 Ikelos. Was thinking of a 210 Corryvreckan. Not may rocks in my travels or rock gardens just Sandy Long Island 95% of the time. Not really in a club to see if anyone has one to try and dealer doesn’t have one or they would let me try it. I guess I could buy one and sell it for 100 less if I hate it but I don’t think it’s a big seller. I am bad at selling I just stock things up.I do like the foam core paddles. Was going to try a wing but not sure if it suits my bracing skills. So many paddles so little time! I guess like my brick trowels even a 1/4" bigger around the blade and you really feel it. I have to many of them also depending on mood or type of work. Not sure I like the rib or spigot as they call it on the back of the Lendal. Ikelos is 691, Lendal 700, and the Corryvreckan 721. Thanks for the advice. More advice is welcome too.

To add comparable models to the mix would be the Lendal Storm (a bit less surface area feeling than the Ikelos) and the Lendal Cadence (less surface area than the Cyprus/Shuna but with good catch and wicked light) Now that they come in a high pressure formed FG shaft they have a bit of flex to them which makes it feel akin to a laminated wood shaft.

Johnny, you looking for an XRange? I’ve got one that needs a home on the water rather than the display rack.

Just some more options.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Thanks Marshall if I go for another paddle it will probably be for more area than the Ikelos.

215cm bent shaft?

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Replied in email thanks Marshall.

The Corryveckan has 30 sq. cm more blade area than the Ikelos, plus it has the “rib” on the back face of the blade, which increases drag. The Ikelos will definitely be the slicker, smoother-feeling paddle.

2 Likes

@Canuka said:
The Corryveckan has 30 sq. cm more blade area than the Ikelos, plus it has the “rib” on the back face of the blade, which increases drag. The Ikelos will definitely be the slicker, smoother-feeling paddle.

Yes you are right it say this about Corryveckan
Custom shaped, low profile, reinforcement spine allows for enhanced blade maneuverability when linking several strokes and provides blade stiffness and overall strength.

where as Ikelos says
Smooth back face makes for cleaner entry and exit of your strokes and an elegant feel on the water.

I was thinking all the Carbon F were smooth face backs. Thanks.

I also see Powerhouse Carbon or is that strictly for white water? Seems smooth back 720 CM or is it not?

thanks

1 Like

Or am I beating a dead horse on performance and just stick with the Ikelos.

1 Like

I have not taken a close look at the Powerhouse. They classify it as a whitewater paddle and has a slightly different shape, but that doesn’t mean it won’t work for touring, surfing, etc. I guess you’d have to try it and see how you like it vs. the Ikelos and Corryveckan. Unfortunately, it’s nearly impossible to test before you buy unless you have friends in a paddling group who let you try out theirs.

The Corryvreckan does flutter if you’re not careful, that’s the thing I remember about it, and it’s super stiff. The big spine doesn’t bother me, and it’s not as buoyant as a foam core paddle. The Lendal Xrange 700 to me is a good combo between the Corryvreckan and an Ikelos, has foam core construction, a little bit of a spine on the back makes it smooth but strong. I’ve broken two or three of the Cyprus blades, never had an issue with the Lendals.
If you could find an original Lendal Nordkapp you might like that, looked like a huge spoon from back in the day, no longer made though.
I use a Cutback in fiberglass for surfing, huge blade, but not sure if Lendal NA is still making them. One of those in carbon might work well for you. Might be worth calling Lendal or a dealer, and ask if they can put a carbon Cutback blade on whatever shaft you want.
A wing is probably the next step if you want more power.

Was hot for a wing while back but for 3% as I read in gains not worth it for my bracing skills. I assume it not as easy with a wing.

Joined a club but never made it out. I like to just go when I want and where I want and the speed I want. Had a friend here and we were a good match called went out and hammer each other most of the time darting from here to there. Did meet up with the group once on the water but they go 5-7 miles and take forever to launch & load up to poke around. Not saying I never doodle at times I do but I like cruising around at 4.5 -5.5 mph. Need new thread on this. Ikelos just seems small at times like I could pull more. May be it will tear up my shoulders if I go bigger but I want to try it. Funny the Corryvreckan is stiffer than an Ikelos I would think the same with same CF construction but I never tried one. Thanks for the tips. Guys in club all have smaller paddles from what I saw. One Ikelos but they just putter along wouldn’t matter what he really had. No dealers around here to even see Corryvreckan I guess because most people don’t use them and it would hang on the rack.

That was pretty much Greek to me.

oh well

@PaddleDog52 said:
Joined a club but never made it out. I like to just go when I want and where I want and the speed I want. Had a friend here and we were a good match called went out and hammer each other most of the time darting from here to there. Did meet up with the group once on the water but they go 5-7 miles and take forever to launch & load up to poke around. Not saying I never doodle at times I do but I like cruising around at 4.5 -5.5 mph. Need new thread on this. Ikelos just seems small at times like I could pull more. May be it will tear up my shoulders if I go bigger but I want to try it. Funny the Corryvreckan is stiffer than an Ikelos I would think the same with same CF construction but I never tried one. Thanks for the tips. Guys in club all have smaller paddles from what I saw. One Ikelos but they just putter along wouldn’t matter what he really had. No dealers around here to even see Corryvreckan I guess because most people don’t use them and it would hang on the rack.

Once things warm up, maybe see if there’s a surfski club in your area, you might find a different caliber of folks to get out with. I think that’s where you’ll find people who are willing to crank and challenge each other. Or start drinking the bcu cool aid, those people like to get out in the bump, and get some miles in as well. They’re often interested in working on paddling skills and hitting some challenging venues.
So I don’t know if the vreckan is physically stiffer than the Ikelos, it’s just not as smooth, and probably less forgiving. And I haven’t actually used an Ikelos, so I’m just guessing and being an internet expert. But I’d expect the Ikelos to be smooth and buoyant like my big foam core Lendal, while the vreckan is just stiff with that big spine, and can flutter a bit if you don’t plant it well. But it does have a rock solid catch. I bought a straight shaft 1 piece 210 carbon vreckan, when Lendal was transitioning owners, but haven’t used it the past few years. The Lendal Xrange is my go to, a little softer and more forgiving on the catch, but still has plenty of power. So that might be another reason why I think the vreckan is a stiff paddle, because the one I own is a 1 piece carbon monster.

Thanks for showing me the back of it. I looked all over the net and had trouble finding picture of the back Similar to the FG Shuna I got when I purchased my used Solstice. Don’t know of any surfski club around but I will look. I have only seen one guy in a ski on the water the last 9 years and he had a Epic V-10 and Epic wing paddle. I know in Massachusetts there are some. Yes Ikelos is very smooth and buoyant. I like it because it floats also. I guess if I do buy one to play I might just get it in fiber glass because CF is not like the Ikelos paddles I have. Many thanks.