Obstruction Height Indicator

OK it was an old discussion where the question was had anyone invented a device that could tell you if you were going to clear an overhead obstruction. Parking garages, drive throughs, trees, bridges, etc. that kind of stuff.

Well yes they did invent something… How about a height checking radar unit?
giraffeg4.com/

Or perhaps the up-beat version.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ACriQJTn468

Telescoping wand attached to front bumper perhaps? Set a few inches taller than roof load for margin of error.

That Giraffe is pretty cool technology but it just tells you how high the obstruction is and not how tall you are. :o

I guess it’s useful if bridges, etc., are unmarked or marked incorrectly.

@kfbrady said:
That Giraffe is pretty cool technology but it just tells you how high the obstruction is and not how tall you are. :o

Read all the instructions and you have to measure the antenna installation height to calibrate the unit. It also tells you to measure the height of the vehicle. The whole purpose of the post is to inform the original poster that there is another method to check for overhead clearance which they were asking about.

@Overstreet said:

@kfbrady said:

Read all the instructions and you have to measure the antenna installation height to calibrate the unit. It also tells you to measure the height of the vehicle. The whole purpose of the post is to inform the original poster that there is another method to check for overhead clearance which they were asking about.

Yes it’s certainly an option.

If I owned an RV I would probably buy one.