One last trip as winter turns to spring

Snow, ice, strainers and rocks pretty much describe yesterday’s trip on my local river the Branch in RI. With enough water, the Branch is a fun quickwater stream with a couple of easy class II rapids. Yesterday the river was low, so we spent most of our time bouncing off rocks. Still, it wasn’t a bad way to end the winter paddling season. On to spring!

Glendale Rapid - Erik and Bill

Few more pictures here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/sets/72157679877668330/with/32710907813/

Nice. Everything up this way is still mostly locked in ice.

Stuff here is southern New England is wide open - we just need water. Dam releases start on April, so I know I will get at least a couple of good runs. They are even doing a spring release on the West River in VT. (You’ve been there right?)

I imagine avoiding those rocks must add to the fun. Looks like another great trip. Drove further north today to check out a new Lake Michigan launch site. Going to be a while…

The picture makes that run look like it was very boney, E. Great you got out paddling nevertheless. Nice pic.

~~Chip

@BoozTalkin said:
The picture makes that run look like it was very boney, E. Great you got out paddling nevertheless. Nice pic.

~~Chip
It was really low, but it is a local tradition to paddle this river on the 3rd weekend in March. For many years, my local club ran a down-river race on that weekend, so we try to keep the tradition going. Yesterday the river was at 150 cfs - here is what that rapid looks like at 500 cfs.

Much more fun. Trouble is that it doesn’t hit that level very often.

@Rookie said:
Drove further north today to check out a new Lake Michigan launch site. Going to be a while…

Keep the faith Rookie - spring starts today…