Pfd question

Can you put a patch on a pfd without messing it up if so what’s the best way

Are we talking inflatable, or nylon material over some kind of foam? Maybe it’s neoprene? Is this a patch to repair damage or just some “bling” you want to attach to the PFD?

Your question is vague. Please provide more details. Pictures could help greatly as well.

Bottom line is that it has to stay on you and it has to float. Meet that criteria and I’m sure it’s all good.

@Sparky961 said:
Are we talking inflatable, or nylon material over some kind of foam? Maybe it’s neoprene? Is this a patch to repair damage or just some “bling” you want to attach to the PFD?

Your question is vague. Please provide more details. Pictures could help greatly as well.

Bottom line is that it has to stay on you and it has to float. Meet that criteria and I’m sure it’s all good.

its nylon over foam and its just some bling i have the astral sea wolf pfd a

use aqua-seal

I am still not clear as to what you are doing.

If adding a decorative patch, that should be fine. Sew it into the outer fabric, but even if it goes some into closed cell foam, not a biggie.

If patching a hole, and the hole is just a small rip in the fabric, that can be sewn shut or patched over. But if the foam is coming out, then you really need to get a new PFD.

@zbanks32@gmail.com said:
its nylon over foam and its just some bling i have the astral sea wolf pfd

I’m not big on decoration of my gear, but to each their own. I do attach things I believe to be useful, like reflectors and such, and if I were to attach something to my PFD I’d probably use an adhesive that cured quickly to avoid exposing the interior foam to the evaporating solvents for a long time. Sewing it on is probably the safest because there is no chance for unseen damage. Avoid heat (such as an iron-on patch) because I just can’t see that as being good for the longevity of the foam.

you will lose the coast guard approval status- jackets are approved as is from the factory and you are not allowed to modify them. That may be of importance to you or not.

It is a good idea to test your jacket annually to see how high it floats you since the foam degrades over time.

In general torn, faded or damaged pfds should be discarded.

If it is small ‘bling’, put it on your cap.

@tdaniel said:
It is a good idea to test your jacket annually to see how high it floats you since the foam degrades over time.

Anually? LOL… I test mine probably one out of every two times I go out paddling! Not specifically to test it, but I’m practicing new skills and keeping old ones fresh too.

Good point though for someone who doesn’t like getting wet when they’re paddling.

@Sparky961 said:

@tdaniel said:

Anually? LOL… I test mine probably one out of every two times I go out paddling! Not specifically to test it, but I’m practicing new skills and keeping old ones fresh too.

Good point though for someone who doesn’t like getting wet when they’re paddling.

Mine got tested today, several times in the pool. Hate chlorinated water, but have to admit that it cleaned up a few spots on my yellow PFD.

@Rookie said:
Mine got tested today, several times in the pool. Hate chlorinated water, but have to admit that it cleaned up a few spots on my yellow PFD.

I’m jealous… well, not for the chlorine, but it’s still a little early to have one’s head underwater outdoors! Don’t ask me how I know.