Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iso 14ft solo river canoe

currently own 16ft penobscot, great boat but more than i want to deal with solo. iso 14ft canoe = i like the penob design, but want it in a shorter boat without losing the high sides. i do NOT want a white water canoe, rapids are fun but most of the river is easy/flat and i'll want the canoe to track. always on a budget so used is best, royalex (or equivalent) a huge plus. any help/suggestions appreciated!

Tagged:

Comments

• edited April 28

solo will have less width (a good thing) and initial stability than your Penobscot (no big deal). IMO, a Bell Yellowstone Solo (aka wildfire in royalex from first few years) would be perfect. Where are you? There is a pricey Bell YS on Chicago craigslist now (not mine). In Houston there is a great looking Sawyer Coda 13 (not mine), which might work for you too, though it is a composite layup.

• thanks Kona - i like that yellowstone, seems like a fair compromise. now i just have to find a used one near new england.

• here's another boat i'm going to look for: http://www.novacraft.com/canoes/fox-14-solo/

• It is not widely known, but Old Town also made a 15' Penobscot which would be suitable for you. There was one for sale not long ago on Craigslist here in New England.

Peter

• pgeorg - interesting, i'll check it out! :smile: