Allagash trip

Planning a solo trip down the a Allagash in 2018. I will have about 1 1/4 seasons under my belt. At this time my plan is to paddle the entire 92 miles. I’m planning 8 - 10 days. Looking for thoughts, suggestions and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

While the Waterway is 92 miles long you will either paddle 82 or 102 miles. Thats cause the start of the water way is at Telos Dam and there is no vehicle access or boat launch there. It is a pretty spot so plan an extra day to paddle down to there and then back up Chamberlain… The main access is at Chamberlain Lake.

On the lakes paddle early paddle hard. They are oriented in the direction of the wind. You do not say when you will paddle the Waterway. It is very different in Sept than in late May.

I live fairly near there and paddle parts of it most every year. It is doable in eight days if you are a strong paddler with quite a bit of water time and can paddle in two to three foot seas ( its roughest in June). 10 days is better and gives you more fiddle and poke into history time and more leeway to avoid bad weather.

Gil Gilpatrick is the main Allagash authority and guided for many many years ( now retired) and wrote a very nice book so you don’t accidentally miss anything
http://gilgilpatrick.com/allagash.html

Thank you. I have read his book. I am not sure if it will be June or July. Thinking I will save Telos for another time. I’m up early any way so getting on the water early will not be any problem.
On another note, are you a paramedic?

@kayamedic said:
While the Waterway is 92 miles long you will either paddle 82 or 102 miles. Thats cause the start of the water way is at Telos Dam and there is no vehicle access or boat launch there. It is a pretty spot so plan an extra day to paddle down to there and then back up Chamberlain… The main access is at Chamberlain Lake.

On the lakes paddle early paddle hard. They are oriented in the direction of the wind. You do not say when you will paddle the Waterway. It is very different in Sept than in late May.

I live fairly near there and paddle parts of it most every year. It is doable in eight days if you are a strong paddler with quite a bit of water time and can paddle in two to three foot seas ( its roughest in June). 10 days is better and gives you more fiddle and poke into history time and more leeway to avoid bad weather.

Gil Gilpatrick is the main Allagash authority and guided for many many years ( now retired) and wrote a very nice book so you don’t accidentally miss anything

@kayamedic said:

Thank you. I have read his book. I am not sure if it will be June or July. Thinking I will save Telos for another time. I’m up early any way so getting on the water early will not be any problem.
On another note, are you a paramedic?

I was. June is blackfly season if that matters at all… But its good for moose viewing… My sweet spot is at Chisholm Brook

Once a medic, always a medic! Thank you for your dedication! Chisholm Brook was one of the areas I have thought about staying 2 nights at. Someone pointed out once the black flies go it is mosquitoes.

No. Come prepared for no seeums. Just wear neutral colored clothing and long pants and long sleeves… tuck pant cuffs into socks.
Get dirty. Do not wash with nice smelling soap.

EMS isnt a holy calling. Its a job.

Don’t plan on two nights anywhere. The lakes can knock you for a loop if you try to keep a schedule… Maybe they will and maybe they wont… No need to reserve campsites anyway.

Never heard about neutral colored clothing. I’ll keep that in mind when I am buying clothes. I don’t have much for synthetics. I know I don’t want cotton.

EMS still takes dedication and caring. Don’t discount what you did to earn the job and to do it.

I’m sure I will have more questions regarding kayaking and the Allagash.

Actually when it is hot a very tightly woven cotton is a good idea. You can soak it and it does dry… The weave is what matters… Twill is good… Jersey and denim aren’t. We will be taking cotton clothing ( like old mens dress shirts) to the Arctic… Just one shirt will do.

Yah t shirts and jeans never dry.

You really don’t need much for the Allagash… A long sleeve shirt, a wicking t and pants etc. One change…

One tidbit… Do NOT camp back in the woods. Some of the two or three cell campsites offer that option… In June wind is your friend.

Thanks again. I have camped for years. New to paddling. I am not packing much for clothes changes. Just concerned about layering for the cold times. When are you going to the Artic?

Here’s a few point for you

1. 120’ White Pines SE of the tip Pillsbury Island, Eagle Lake

2.There is a lot more to the Trans and Tramway, explore to the right side (if you enter from Eagle Lake) of the site you’ll even find a steam Lombard, foundations…

1. Check out the Cubb mounts where Soper Brk narrows off Eagle Lake

2. The view point of Katahdin, 1/2 mile trail from the left campsite @ Pump Handle on Eagle Lake thru an Old Growth Hardwood Forest.

3. Allagash Museum @ Churchill Dam

4. Don’t carry @ Long Lake Dam on the right, line it on the Left.

5. Check out the sites on the back side (east side) of Round Pond, less crowded, nicer sites

6. Check out the Lombards just up stream of Cunliffe Depot Site. There’s a Gas and a Steamer in there.

7. Two Rivers Diner in Allagash Village has great food but wait times for a group suck, a solo should OK. Otherwise Rocky’s down in Fort Kent.

8. Use Pelletier’s Cmpgrd to shuttle your car. http://pelletiers.mainerec.com

Lining Long Lake Dam ( its rotted) is tricky solo.It is fine with a group where you have someone to guide you or handle the other line. Its an old roll dam and strewn with rotten spikes… Never try to run it. The portage on the right is never a portage for me. I like that campsite.

So with that little tidbit I above I disagree. With all the stuff off river to see you really need to take more time or select one or two things to visit.
Plan on being at Chase before 12 noon. The faucet usually is turned off then

Thank you both. I will definitely err on the side of caution. I’m not much into history. More just being on the water and seeing nature.