A Canoe Poling, Paddling and Sailing Day

Deciding it was time for a little weekday play, I blew off work early to catch what was left of the late afternoon sun. Sometimes when you want to go paddling, there’s a little too much wind. And sometimes when you want to sail, you end up paddling anyway…And maybe even poling a bit. It was that type of early Spring day when the weather didn’t seem to know what it wanted to do and neither did I–So I tried all three: Poling, paddling, and sailing on the Batavia Kill (“Kill” is an archaic Dutch term for “creek.” New York State was once called New Netherlands, ahem.) The stream is along a Catskill mountain top area that’s a couple thousand feet above sea level. So vegetation up here hasn’t really come into bloom as of yet. But all the water levels are up, up, up! I managed to annoy a fly fisherman-friend just enough to snap some pics for me, in between whipping his funny stringed stick all around…He didn’t catch anything today–Whereas, I caught some really fun rides! :wink: Air bags are on order…

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNZCBFTQqn90MqjuglKn7s7FFvt7pwpYP8hahxhMLOz8tusju0yi3q0fC1S0aKxpw?key=MUhMbm8zbmRUYi1KOEJDRlNTMzczY1ROc2QtZjBn

Paddlers are always smiling, and fishermen are always annoyed about something - usually the paddlers :wink:

Looks like fun - I need to get out.

Sure do like that sail design!

Henrik Hudson I fear your ghost,
has tumbled in Batavia’s clutch,
where some lug’s riggin’ a piracy boast,
datin’ danger when the pole is go’n Dutch.

And whatever doesn’t kill ya doesn’t thrill ya with its flow.
Sometimes her heavin’ hull needs paddle’s touch,
when wind/wave of the Catskill from its spring is on the go,
and the Half Moon shines on rivers made of such.

(lateen sic “lanteen” edited to “lug” to correct my spelling and assailed geometric deficiencies)

@eckilson said:
and fishermen are always annoyed about something - usually the paddlers ;)"

–Ain’t it da truth.

@Rookie said:
Sure do like that sail design!

I borrowed it from one of my other boats…

@canoeswithduckheads said:
where the lanteen riggin’s a piracy boast

It’s a lug sail, not a lateen–Other than that, fantastically beautiful poetry!

That has to give smiles to everyone on shore. Unless you’re about to plunder them.

I never raise sail when I plunder, as plunder requires the element of surprise–Only when I pillage. For plunder to work best, it demands complete paddling stealth! >:)

@spiritboat said:

@eckilson said:
and fishermen are always annoyed about something - usually the paddlers ;)"

–Ain’t it da truth.

Jet skis…

@Overstreet said:
Jet skis…

Even worse.