Lots of Paddling Around Kansas City

If you’re in the Kansas City area, check out our Paddle KC paddling club at www.bit.ly/paddlekc. We have many paddling outings every month - daytime, weeknights and weekends. Recreational, touring, and whitewater kayakers and SUPers are welcome. This is a great way to meet other friendly paddlers while enjoying time on the water exploring a wide variety of paddling spots.

You might also try the Ozark Wilderness Waterways Club (OWWCKC.ORG). Based in KC with 18-22 Ozark trips and 25 close to KC activities.

RIP cant really join this as I don’t have a kayak :neutral:

@cybervision said:

They won’t let you paddle with them if you have an inflatable. Something about inflatables being slow and unable to keep up.

Well ya, inflatables are crap. I’m just a high school student with a huge interest in kayaking but no chances to ever paddle :expressionless:

@cybervision said:

Hey, Cybervision. Yes, Paddle KC is a paddling club and we do require members to own the gear required to participate in paddling outings. We cross-post some demo days and events with rentals with the Active Kansas City group at www.bit.ly/activekc, but don’t have any paddling outings scheduled there at the moment. If you do get a kayak, SUP or canoe I hope you’ll join us on the water.

@Chuck von Yamashita said:

They won’t let you paddle with them if you have an inflatable. Something about inflatables being slow and unable to keep up.

Hi Chuck. We have many members with inflatables, and even had one member do our recent Missouri River day trip in one. He made it 11 of 24 miles, but had to take out early because he wasn’t able to keep up and was exhausted trying. I called him before to make sure he was aware of the greater difficulty in an inflatable and he was up for the challenge and had a great attitude, which we love! We’re all about having FUN, regardless of what kind of kayak you use!! We all had a great time, and he now is looking at buying a regular kayak. Another inflatable user attended our Paddlepalooza weekend (SO MUCH FUN!!!) but also was exhausted trying to keep up. We don’t paddle fast, but we’re also not going to make the whole group wait on someone who uses an inflatable. Sadly, the reality is that inflatables are slower and more of a safety risk if there’s any wind.

In our experience, inflatable kayak users don’t participate (for whatever reason), or show up once and then have such a hard time keeping up with regular kayaks that they don’t come out again. Because of this, we do now require inflatable kayak users to attend an event within the first 30 days of joining. Our focus is getting out on the water frequently, and enjoying paddling at a variety of locations with Paddle KC members. Anyone really interested in paddling will be happy to show up and participate. If they joined just to lurk and not participate, they may not be happy with our participation requirement. :wink:

We’d be happy to have an All Inflatables float - join us and let’s make it happen! We have a LOT of activities on the schedule, but can make time if you’re really interested. The more, the merrier!

BTW, we’ve have 10+ paddling outings every month this summer and many more planned all the time. LOTS of great memories with a very cool bunch of paddling pals! If you are an active paddler in the Kansas City area, join us! www.bit.ly/paddlekc

Examples of activities this year…

• Multiple paddles each month on local lakes and rivers, Missouri and Kansas side
  • Underground Kayaking (camped AND kayaked in a cave - sooooo awesome!!!)
  • 10 day trip for Mardi Gras in New Orleans and Swamp/River Kayaking
  • Kayak DIY Upgrades Clinic & Cookout
  • New Paddler Clinics & Raffles
  • Kayaking Safety Skills Clinics
  • Buffalo National River Kayak & Hiking Weekend
  • Current River Weekend with Music & Dance
  • Dog Paddles (with Pooches!)
  • Full Moon Paddles
  • Mulberry River Weekend
  • Kayak + Bonfire Night Paddles
  • Missouri River Day Trips
  • Paddlepalooza III Weekend (4 Day & Night Paddles, Cookouts, Winery Visit, Fireside Restless Spirits Distillery Tasting, Camping fun)
  • Meramec River Float
  • Hands-On Kayak & SUP Demo Days
  • Kayaking Games Day
  • 4th of July Fireworks on the Water
  • Kayaking Clinics with REI and LL Bean
  • Whitewater Weekend (Rafting, tubing plus urban fun)
  • MR340 River Race
  • Solar Eclipse on the Water
  • Kayak Camping on the Eleven Point River
  • Stockton Lake Paddling & Sailing
  • Annual Fall Float Trip (We rent out a whole Ozark rustic resort)
  • Fall Color Paddle
  • 2018 trips to very cool paddling destinations for long weekends or week at a time
    … and more

We’ve been busy - ha!! We host a lot of unique events, as well as regular local paddles. Again, we’re all about getting out on the water and sharing fun experiences with active paddlers. :slight_smile:

Hey, Chuck. Christy here. So nice to “meet” you. Paddle KC is all about getting out on the water and having a great time, regardless of boat type. We welcome those who participate in a positive way with a good attitude.

I had an injured shoulder last year and was barely able to paddle, and I also am often “sweeper” at events so that may have something to do with your negative comment. Not at all concerned about speed or competition other than generally keeping together as a group… just out to create and share fantastic times on the water with nice people, and spread the love of paddling. We all go to the water for different things, but negativity doesn’t factor into the equation with me or our paddling club. I’m very thankful to connect with so many like-minded paddlers all the time. Enjoy your time on the water!

@Chuck von Yamashita said:

@cybervision said:
Well ya, inflatables are crap. I’m just a high school student with a huge interest in kayaking but no chances to ever paddle :expressionless:

Maybe you should try a good one before making such idiotic statements. I have paddled my inflatables in Alaska, Okinawa and China.

Well you have a point, the only inflatable I have used was a very garbage one

I’ve been a member of Paddle KC for almost 2 years now. This is one of the best paddling groups I have ever been in. This group is so awesome because of its organizer, Christy. The time and energy she puts into this group is amazing and I, for one, really appreciate all her efforts. I love this group and plan on doing many more fun adventures with them!

@pljoseph99 said:
… This is one of the best paddling groups I have ever been in.

Might be. They have a better looking list of activities than my two clubs.

Thanks, Overstreet. We DO have a great time. We’re hitting the water again this Saturday and Sunday mornings. Hoping for the first pelican sightings of the season on Sunday.

If anyone is in the Kansas City area, join us on the water! Hope you all enjoy some time paddling, wherever you are.