Video from mar 18 shark attack in Monterey, CA

It was previously reported about a SOT kayaker who was attacked by a shark just off of Monterey back on March 18. Turns out that a person on shore got video shortly after the attack started, and it shows the shark continuing to attack the kayak (the kayaker had already been separated from the kayak).
https://youtu.be/XQQZifTGY1Q

Edit - not a SOT, but a Necky Looksha SINK.

Commentary on this attack from http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm
Monterey — On March 18, 2017 Brian Correiar was kayaking in Monterey Bay a little past 4:30PM. He recalled;“I had paddled from the Breakwater ramp to Shell Street in Pacific Grove and was on my way back. I was hit off the end of San Carlos Beach about 100 yards or so off the Monterey Bay Inn - probably over Metridium. Suddenly, I heard a loud bang as my kayak and I flew into the air. I landed outside my boat, look back to my horror saw a large great white shark no more than three feet away had my kayak in its mouth. I could clearly see its 2-inch teeth and its black eye that looked lifeless. I scrambled away from my boat as fast as I could and started kicking towards shore. After five minutes I pulled out my Nautilus Lifeline and called in a mayday to the coast guard. They were having trouble hearing me. I spotted a sail boat and started frantically waving to them with my right arm as I operated the radio with my left hand. While this was going on, the shark was using my boat as a chew toy. I saw it spin with the boat at least three times. It started pushing the boat towards me and then left the boat and headed for me. Suddenly it dove. I put my face in the water to see if it was under me, but I couldn’t see anything. I looked up and saw the sail boat approaching me. After some very quick explanations I said that I needed to get into the small boat. There was no ladder or transom. I had been in the water for about twenty minutes. I was wearing a 3-mil, but had forgotten my booties and my feet were numb and I was running on nothing but adrenaline. I could not get up into the boat or stand up on their motor. I asked them to call 911 and ask for coast guard assistance. The coast guard showed up 5 minutes later and pulled me into their boat. All my gear was floating and was recovered. They took me back to the Breakwater. According to witnesses the shark was as big as my boat, which is 14 feet in length. Bite marks show that it had the whole girth of the boat in its mouth. My boat is covered with bite marks from end to end with multiple punctures. People told me that they could see the shark slapping the surface of the water with its fins as it mauled my boat.”

these are supposed to be pictures of the damaged boat…https://smugmug.com/gallery/n-gTMjCB/

and the story from the guy in the sailboat…my.nps.edu/-/nps-doctoral-student-plucks-kayaker-from-the-jaws-of-a-great-white

I half expected to see one of those carbon fiber boats with the fish scale weave pattern. We’ve had a number of attacks and that pattern on the boat 2 attacks, and Werner paddle 2 attacks seem to be related.

Wow. Think I’ll stay content with paddling what we call the Fresh Coast.

This statement from the paddler (posted on YouTube) makes me wonder about the helpfulness of a VHF for emergencies:

“Thank you for calling 911! The Coast Guard told me that your call was the first local report that they received. I was calling them using my marine radio while I was swimming, but I had reached the San Francisco CG base and they did not understand when I gave my location as being off the Plaza Hotel.”

How did that happen when there’s a USCG station in Monterey Bay?

Polyethylene
in a porker’ s snout
is a taste confusion
when one’s thrashed about

as if a red seal’ s poured
over sauer kraut
fermenting in no. 2 oil
tossed with seed of doubt

and least there’s one thankful
Sharky’s Diner shake 'n bake shakes free
that soul-stir of mistook main course
from killer of kayak kimshi

Just put all my kayaks on eBay

Yeah, this doesn’t do much for my already fading appreciation of a VHF radio’s usefulness. I still carry mine but figure it’s only good for nearby boat-to-boat communication and weather radio. Even the weather radio has become pretty crappy. No more MAFOR codes in many of the areas I paddle. Instead there’s a robotic lady’s voice in a loop that lasts over 10 minutes, but it’s still too fast when giving wind forecasts to get it all written down. I’ll be game for a better option when it comes across my path.

PD52, do you sell your cars when there is a bad wreck reported?

@Rookie said:
This statement from the paddler (posted on YouTube) makes me wonder about the helpfulness of a VHF for emergencies:

“Thank you for calling 911! The Coast Guard told me that your call was the first local report that they received. I was calling them using my marine radio while I was swimming, but I had reached the San Francisco CG base and they did not understand when I gave my location as being off the Plaza Hotel.”

How did that happen when there’s a USCG station in Monterey Bay?

This really wasn’t what we could call a VHF, so not sure his experience reflect our use of a VHF.

He was using what he called a Nautilus Lifeline (http://www.nautiluslifeline.com). Not clear if that was a discontinued radio Nautilus made, or the more current device that is similar to a PLB they currently make. These are made for SCUBA divers (so extremely waterproof - to hundreds of feet).

These devices likely lose some functionality to be made so waterproof. And because divers generally aren’t boaters, they simplified these as much as possible. No channel changing on radio, etc. They want a device to easily call for help should something happen (they come up and boat is gone, currents drive them to sea, etc.). The discontinued radio device was like a SPOT that worked over VHF channels - 3 button options only. You were talking into a small area while bobbing in the water. Not sure if you also have to extend antennae to make it work.

SF might be the dispatch for the area , so calling there may not be the wrong thing to expect.

@Peter-CA
Thanks for that clarification. I wonder if Brian will replace it with something a bit more efficient.

Was the shark playing with the kayak or trying to eat it? At 1:47 in the video, there looks like some commotion by the paddle,

He’s one lucky dude.

I got two words for you Shark Shield! - https://sharkshield.com/

Wow, curious little feller.

Cowabunga. “Just keep filming, Dear–The You tube video is more important than phoning to get any help.”

Jeez, and they got a beach house with a view too. It’s well over 2 minutes into the vid before the guy says “Call someone.” He had the situation assessed as a shark attack within 30 secs.

I been “bumped” a couple times by sharks in the Atlantic, but never did one take their cues from Spielberg’s JAWS.
Let’s see: Shoreline’s within sight–Do I swim hard for it and make myself a moving lure of human chum? Or do I try to stay close to the yak and somehow climb back on board and hope for the best?

Lucky is the word.

I think he should re-label (name) his Kayak Lookshark.

My paddling waters have a lot of crappie which are good to eat and they don’t eat you.
(Theirs a joke in their somewhere but I can’t quite nail it down.)

I knew there was another reason I much prefer fresh water. We do have to deal with sea lions, but I’ll settle for that over sharks any day.

@magooch said:
I knew there was another reason I much prefer fresh water. We do have to deal with sea lions, but I’ll settle for that over sharks any day.

Bull sharks love fresh water.

As long as they have an inlet from the salt.

And I read that Bulls have a higher bite rate than Great Whites.