Nova Craft Fox Solo

Curious if anyone here has tried the new Nova Craft solo canoe, yet? Very interested in seeing some pics or hearing opinions. I plan to test paddle one in about a month when I hit Rutabagas on my way to the BWCAW, but curiosity is killing me! Thanks.
http://www.novacraft.com/canoes/fox-14-solo/

Looks like a nice boat, but I would prefer a little rocker. I guess it doesn’t matter for me anyway because the only Nova Craft dealer in New England is way up in northern Maine, or out in western NY. You would think there would be at least one dealer in the New England/Metro NY area.

@eckilson said:
Looks like a nice boat, but I would prefer a little rocker. I guess it doesn’t matter for me anyway because the only Nova Craft dealer in New England is way up in northern Maine, or out in western NY. You would think there would be at least one dealer in the New England/Metro NY area.

I usually do to. My favorite solo was the Bell Starfire which had 3" in each stem. But, as I recall, the Mohawk Solo 14 had very little rocker, yet still turned readily? I’m always a sucker for wanting to try a new boat. And since I no longer have a true solo boat…,… Rutabagas in Madison, WI has some and I intend to test one out in a few weeks as we head north.

@eckilson said:
… the only Nova Craft dealer in New England is way up in northern Maine, or out in western NY. .

If anyone googles Appomattox River Company (they’re in Virginia), they will see Nova Craft canoes in stock there… Also. Amazon.com offers Nova Craft canoes and quotes delivery prices, as well. Still a ways from New England, I know. But for some it may be more convenient than Maine.
regards,
Mark L.

@wildernesswebb said:
But, as I recall, the Mohawk Solo 14 had very little rocker, yet still turned readily?

I have and old Mohawk Canoe video that shows Mark Molina doing freestyle moves in a Solo 14 (or maybe a 13) - either way, he sure made it turn!

@eckilson said:

@wildernesswebb said:
But, as I recall, the Mohawk Solo 14 had very little rocker, yet still turned readily?

I have and old Mohawk Canoe video that shows Mark Molina doing freestyle moves in a Solo 14 (or maybe a 13) - either way, he sure made it turn!

I had a Mohawk Solo 13… It was boxy looking but deceptively well mannered. It was a fine budget boat for entry level FreeStylers as is did have significant and symmetrical rocker. Difficult to get to the rail as it was very stable but many people loved it.

@kayamedic said:

@eckilson said:

@wildernesswebb said:

I had a Mohawk Solo 13… It was boxy looking but deceptively well mannered. It was a fine budget boat for entry level FreeStylers as is did have significant and symmetrical rocker. Difficult to get to the rail as it was very stable but many people loved it.

You know, Kim, that’s Margaret’s boat of choice now; she loves her Solo 13. She’s tried a half dozen solo boats probably and had settled on the Flashfire. I bought her the Solo 13 and she lost interest in the Flash. Go figure? Last summer I let my nephew try out a few canoes and kayaks. He too settled on the Solo 13. Maybe Mohawk will come back from the dead with the advent of T-Formex? There are a lot of folks who would be tickled

If your favorite solo is a Starfire then I think you might fall in love with a Swift Shearwater since it is also a super stable boat that also turns really well yet it maintains the advantage of being a true solo for just cruising around. Just my two cents. Tom

Here’s my wife’s Solo 13, bought for a song, and not going anywhere in the near future; except for paddling.
Also pictured are 2 of my favorite “go to” boats; Bell Wildfire, and Mohawk Odyssey.

BOB

I looked one over at a dealer yesterday. Interesting boat, and I’ve always felt like NovaCraft puts out some good canoes. The one thing that I noticed is that the seat is set well back of center, presumably so that you can put your gear in front of you where it is easily accessible and have that trim the boat.

Well, in a nutshell, I would say it’s a low volume Supernova? Rounded arch, but not enough volume to get my size 11-12 feet under the seat and it’s DEFINITELY a “Kneeling” boat. My nephew, who loves the Mohawk Solo 13 tried to tame the boat, but ultimately lost the battle! DEFINITELY the kind of boat that would be entertaining to watch novices paddle, ESPECIALLY if they added their pooch (LOL)!