Georgian Bay (Carling Township) Public Parking, NO MORE!

There used to be a free public parking lot at Snug Harbour just north of Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada. This gave great access to Georgian Bay near the bottom of Franklin Island. I found out this weekend that the public lot has now been changed into a “Carling Residents Only” lot. There is still parking at Gilly’s for a fee, but their parking space is severely limited.

I’m a little torn on this one. On one hand, a lot of novice “yahoos” leave from this point and camp on Franklin Island because it’s Free Crown Land camping and relatively easy to get there with a somewhat protected crossing. In recent years there have been reports of many bear problems in the area, almost certainly resulting from the actions of these people. From this perspective, I’m happy to have the access a bit more limited. On the other hand, I think that easy access to these places should be an unobstructed right for anyone that wants to go and enjoy them. It bothers me greatly when I see public parking and access close down.

That said, there is still a public dock there, so launching/landing your boat can still be done without penalty. Looking at the Carling Township link below, you should notice that almost all of the water access sites they list offer no parking for non residents. I guess they aren’t interested in having paddlers around.

Some info on the subject:

http://www.heartofstonephoto.com/photos/important-parking-notice

http://www.carlingtownship.ca/index.php/township-information/points-of-interest/670-points-of-interest

The site is appropriately named for passing on the news that kayaks are to buzz off: Heart of Stone.

Launch fees? For an itty-bitty kayak?

Too many people everywhere…
When ones lifestyle gets invaded or overcrowded, restrictions designed to slow or limit these changes are enacted. Get use to it it will only get worse.

@grayhawk said:
Too many people everywhere…
When ones lifestyle gets invaded or overcrowded, restrictions designed to slow or limit these changes are enacted. Get use to it it will only get worse.

Indeed. Even in the last few years I’ve noticed this. I have to go farther and farther north to get away from people when I want solitude and (mostly) undisturbed nature. That, and extending my outdoor tripping into early winter and late winter/early spring has certainly helped as well.

What about paid parking?

Yes, there is at “Gilly’s”, the marina at Snug Harbour. The price was fair last I checked ($7 CAD). I’ve paid and parked there before when the public lot was full. The problem for me is that it incurs the hassle of them having to be open, the time for them to figure out how to squeeze you in to maximize the weekend’s parking revenue, and the distinct possibility that they’re all full before you arrive.

I’d probably just go somewhere else. But I live in the land of water everywhere. Sounds like an opportunity for an outfitter, tow truck operator, boat dealer, farmer, etc with remote parking to shuttle people to the public launch and pick them up later. .