Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fishing while standing on a kayak?

Hey guys, I am new to the forums and haven't bought my first kayak yet but I'm very close. I am interested in an inflatable kayak and was wondering has anybody tried fishing standing up on a 2-person inflatable kayak? Ofcourse I would create a stable platform to stand on. I was thinking plywood wrapped in an industrial carpet that would go in the floor of the kayak. I would love to hear about your guys' experience. Thanks!

Comments

  • Check out youtube - there are a lot of review videos for stable kayaks for standing. I am a fly fisherman, so standing is something I was interested in - although I have not done it yet! Wilderness Systems and Old Town have very high ratings for stability. I have a Wilderness Systems Ride 115.

    Not sure you would have room for a platform you describe, and most fishing kayaks are made with a molded, non-slip area in front of the seat for standing.

  • Looking to try standing on a kayak while fishing as well. Going to take a look at those more stable kayaks.

  • Since no one has addressed "the rest of the story"....
    The problem is not JUST standing in your watercraft.
    How stable will you be after you get a BIG STRIKE from a sizeable fish ??
    Just thought I'd throw that into the discussion.

  • There have been times when I had trouble sitting in a stable kayak.

  • I've seen fishing kayaks that have a bar to hold on to while standing. Don't know the brand.

  • The most stable kayak to stand in while fishing is a CANOE ! That being said, if you hook up a big fish, SIT DOWN ! (it's hard to land a fish when your only support is a PFD!)

  • @Voyageur47 said:
    The most stable kayak to stand in while fishing is a CANOE ! That being said, if you hook up a big fish, SIT DOWN ! (it's hard to land a fish when your only support is a PFD!)

    Like to see that canoe have a picture?

  • edited April 3

    @tracker12 said:

    @Voyageur47 said:
    The most stable kayak to stand in while fishing is a CANOE ! That being said, if you hook up a big fish, SIT DOWN ! (it's hard to land a fish when your only support is a PFD!)

    Like to see that canoe have a picture?

    Pretty much any tandem recreational canoe. Pictures all over the internet. Or was that a rhetorical question coming from disbelief?

  • There are the plastic 'kayaks' with the 2-part articulated stern, you split the stern and it becomes a sort of tripod boat, they would probably be fairly stable. Some have the upright grab bar as well... Looking for a picture...

    Well there's one of much better design where a 2-section stern simply wings out creating a y-shape, can't find it. Looked a little like these:

    https://gearjunkie.com/icast-fishing-2015

    https://bluewavekayaks.com/trident-motorised-fishing-kayak/

  • @gobble-d-gobble said:
    Hey guys, I am new to the forums and haven't bought my first kayak yet but I'm very close. I am interested in an inflatable kayak and was wondering has anybody tried fishing standing up on a 2-person inflatable kayak? Ofcourse I would create a stable platform to stand on. I was thinking plywood wrapped in an industrial carpet that would go in the floor of the kayak. I would love to hear about your guys' experience. Thanks!

    I don't think that inflatable kayak would be the best option if you wanna fishing with it, standup fish thats not the wise decision, its really make the kayak unstable and the fish would go away, especially if you got the bigger one...

    if you wanna go fish try to look something like Vibe Sea Ghost 110 or something of this type!

Sign In or Register to comment.
Message Boards Close

Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!