Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fishing while standing on a kayak?

Hey guys, I am new to the forums and haven't bought my first kayak yet but I'm very close. I am interested in an inflatable kayak and was wondering has anybody tried fishing standing up on a 2-person inflatable kayak? Ofcourse I would create a stable platform to stand on. I was thinking plywood wrapped in an industrial carpet that would go in the floor of the kayak. I would love to hear about your guys' experience. Thanks!

Comments

• Check out youtube - there are a lot of review videos for stable kayaks for standing. I am a fly fisherman, so standing is something I was interested in - although I have not done it yet! Wilderness Systems and Old Town have very high ratings for stability. I have a Wilderness Systems Ride 115.

Not sure you would have room for a platform you describe, and most fishing kayaks are made with a molded, non-slip area in front of the seat for standing.

• Looking to try standing on a kayak while fishing as well. Going to take a look at those more stable kayaks.

• Since no one has addressed "the rest of the story"....
    The problem is not JUST standing in your watercraft.
    How stable will you be after you get a BIG STRIKE from a sizeable fish ??
    Just thought I'd throw that into the discussion.

• There have been times when I had trouble sitting in a stable kayak.

• I've seen fishing kayaks that have a bar to hold on to while standing. Don't know the brand.

• The most stable kayak to stand in while fishing is a CANOE ! That being said, if you hook up a big fish, SIT DOWN ! (it's hard to land a fish when your only support is a PFD!)