Necky Kayaks being phased out.

Saw this on the Necky Facebook page.

The time has come to say farewell to the Necky brand, but this isn’t goodbye! The journey continues with our OId Town genuine watercraft brand, as it is expanding to a more diverse line of products, including an all new lineup of touring kayaks, high quality paddles and PFDs (launching this summer)!
If you have any questions concerning your Necky products, feel free to send us a message, or you can email us at feedback@oldtowncanoe.com.
Thank you for the many years of love and good times. Happy paddling!
Old Town Canoes & Kayaks

I saw on another page, Johnson Outdoors is going to focus on Old Town and Ocean Kayak lines. They are phasing out Necky and Extrasport lines.

https://www.facebook.com/NeckyKayaks/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/johnson-outdoors-announces-old-town-sets-course-for-expansion-20170615-00136

RIP Necky…what’s left of your line.
My first kayak was a Necky (made in Canada)
A sign of the times, too many lines and models for a dealer to stock in a declining market.
Too bad the small innovative companies couldn’t stay independant.

My husband and I have a '68 Pontiac and a '69 Oldsmobile in the garage. Both are legendary marques that were left by the wayside. I guess I’ll add my Necky Rip 12 to the list of orphan brands.

Sad to hear. My first kayak was a 16 ft Necky Narpa. Had a lot of fun, and learned a lot about paddling in salt water in it.

The FB posts made by the company are so crammed with cutesy biz-speak cliches that you have to wonder if it’s a discrete cry for help from whoever they made write them. More likely, Johnson is just overrun with the sort of young MBAs who think that stuff is how a business is built. The problem is, they are abandoned a niche market, something small but enduring, and are chasing the trend by the Walmarts and Dick’s of the world for selling cheap boats. That fad will run out in a couple of years, and they’ll be SOL. Eventually they’ll revive the Necky name, licensing it out for cheap beer coolers and inflatable play toys, while patting their own backs for building “brand equity” and “aligning themselves with consumers”.

First kayak I ever used in whitewater was the original Necky Rip (planing hull surf boat)… Had a Manitou 13 and still have the Manitou Sport (my favorite all-around, ease-of-use, poly rec boat–Right size, right weight, durable plastic for anytime puddle jumping and lilly dipping.) Guess all good things must come to an end. Many of Necky’s original designs were shaped by hand, not computer. Farewell

Gosh, I just gave away my first kayak. A Necky Rip 10. Don’t know whether to feel bad because the line has now been discontinued or tell the recipient to hang on to it as a museum piece.

I will never sell my two Manitous (13 and 14). This is a loss to the sport

Very sad indeed. For the last sixteen years my go to boat was the Necky Looksha IV in kevlar. From Maine to Arizona to the Florida keys, she has served me well. I believe she will for years to come. Fine craft, great handling boat. I recently purchased a Manitou 14 for my old age “touring the country” boat. Well thought out design, superior (IMHO) hatch covers, wonderful seat. I have other boats in the fleet, but the Necky line will be fondly remembered.

@Old Whitebelly said:
The FB posts made by the company are so crammed with cutesy biz-speak cliches that you have to wonder if it’s a discrete cry for help from whoever they made write them. More likely, Johnson is just overrun with the sort of young MBAs who think that stuff is how a business is built. The problem is, they are abandoned a niche market, something small but enduring, and are chasing the trend by the Walmarts and Dick’s of the world for selling cheap boats. That fad will run out in a couple of years, and they’ll be SOL. Eventually they’ll revive the Necky name, licensing it out for cheap beer coolers and inflatable play toys, while patting their own backs for building “brand equity” and “aligning themselves with consumers”.

Johnson Outdoors quickly ran Lendal paddles into the ground shortly after acquiring them. In fact they never stocked Lendal in their Binghamton, NY Eureka Camping store which actually sits on the Susquehanna River.

Thankfully for Lendal it was “reborn” in Rochester, NY, where the paddles are now made.

With kayaking being so big these days no company should be going out of business, unless the government taxes the crud out if them to the point of death. To bad.

@DrowningDave said:
With kayaking being so big these days no company should be going out of business, unless the government taxes the crud out if them to the point of death. To bad.

Other than the $300 tubs being sold at big box stores what kayaks are big these days?

I see nice kayaks in every body of water. It used to be rare but not any more. Decades ago when I lived on the coast of Florida I was the only kayaker I ever saw but now they are everywhere. The lakes where I live always have kayakers on them. Even the ranger told me the other day the increase is amazing. He said that a few years ago and it was rare to see them.
I’m just saying, Necky should be able to make it today. Even put out some polypropylene SUPs. That’s a market that has really taken off too.

Rec kayaks are selling sea kayaks are suffering in sales.

Then Necky should use their facility to make more rec kayaks. A company should never put all their eggs in one basket.

@DrowningDave said:
Then Necky should use their facility to make more rec kayaks. A company should never put all their eggs in one basket.

Necky hasn’t been “Necky” since 1998 when Johnson Outdoors bought them and now has run them completely down.

Poor management with a lack of vision.

@DrowningDave said:

Necky is (was) part of Johnson Outdoors. Its plastic boats were already made at the same factory as Old Town and Ocean Kayak, 2 brands which are staying alive. Old Town makes mostly rec boats. Ocean Kayak makes SOTs. So they are in effect doing what you suggest, but just by dropping a brand name.

Thanks Peter. I still think narrowing your brands is not as good as growing them but I see your point.