Smith River in Montana - Trip report with photo tour

I did a raft trip on the Smith River June17-20. I’ve heard that it is a fun one to do in kayak, but we didn’t see any. I think you would need to have flows of at least 500 cfs. Has anyone ever done it in kayak or canoe? Here is the trip report: https://bigskywalker.com/2017/06/22/smith-river-float-with-the-hhs-outdoors-club/

Thank you for sharing! Lovely river!

Thanks for the trip report. I’m one of the 9,365 who applies for a Smith permit with no success so far. Is it doable in a kayak or canoe? It looks like it would be.

I ONLY do it in a canoe. Would never be caught in a raft floating like a dead fish. Need to engage and be a part of the flow. The Smith is great in a canoe! Have not done it in a few years. The LOWEST flows I’ve done were 143 CFS ! Last week of March! NOT recommended unless you have a Royalex canoe! The last time I paddled it the flows were about 800 CFS! Perfect!!! I think anywhere from 250 cfs to 1000 would be a dream. Canoe Canoe!

thanks - that whets my appetite - have a July 13th launch date and just hoping water levels are good enough for our 3 canoes - currently just a bit above 200cfs - need rain!

We got suckered into doing this, despite extreme low flows. group of 6, before we left for Canada had decided to do the Smith on our way back only if flows were at 200cfs or better. Got back from Canada and checked the flow - at @ 125 cfs - but we thought, what the heck, wer’e in MT, so lets call the office and see what they say. Get a recorded message - “Not Recommended” - so we decide to “pass”, but one guy calls the shuttle and they say it should be fine for canoes - hmnn? (and he got $400 from us for that advice) so we call the Smith park office - they say it should be ok in canoes, so we just decide to go for it. Get there, and the ranger says the gauges may be squirrely - upstream reads 125cfs, down is reading 93? - but he says we are still ok in canoes, except for maybe the first day. So we go. BAdddddddddd! dsecision. Just checked the upstream gauge near Ft Logan a minute ago - the upstream gauge near Ft Logan was reading 80, 65, 55, 65, 50 for the 5 days we were walking the river. At least time wise, we spend half our time walking, and 90% of the other time bouncing over racks, hitting rocks, and semi-trashing my PakCanoe - one of the Rx boats flipped in a tight corner and almost wrapped a rock, but luckily just has a big crease. Saw Royalex material on many, many rocks in the river.

So no matter what anyone tells you, don’t go unless the flow is at or above 200 cfs unless you want to hike the river instead of paddling it. There was a rafter party putting in on the same day - they had their difficulties too.

@Mattt said:
We got suckered into doing this, despite extreme low flows. group of 6, before we left for Canada had decided to do the Smith on our way back only if flows were at 200cfs or better. Got back from Canada and checked the flow - at @ 125 cfs - but we thought, what the heck, wer’e in MT, so lets call the office and see what they say. Get a recorded message - “Not Recommended” - so we decide to “pass”, but one guy calls the shuttle and they say it should be fine for canoes - hmnn? (and he got $400 from us for that advice) so we call the Smith park office - they say it should be ok in canoes, so we just decide to go for it. Get there, and the ranger says the gauges may be squirrely - upstream reads 125cfs, down is reading 93? - but he says we are still ok in canoes, except for maybe the first day. So we go. BAdddddddddd! dsecision. Just checked the upstream gauge near Ft Logan a minute ago - the upstream gauge near Ft Logan was reading 80, 65, 55, 65, 50 for the 5 days we were walking the river. At least time wise, we spend half our time walking, and 90% of the other time bouncing over racks, hitting rocks, and semi-trashing my PakCanoe - one of the Rx boats flipped in a tight corner and almost wrapped a rock, but luckily just has a big crease. Saw Royalex material on many, many rocks in the river.

So no matter what anyone tells you, don’t go unless the flow is at or above 200 cfs unless you want to hike the river instead of paddling it. There was a rafter party putting in on the same day - they had their difficulties too.

Matt-- Bummer…So you didn’t listen to my advice above posted 3-weeks before you went eh! What a nice hike you went on.
Ouch!

I have always wanted to paddle the Smith. Not that easy to get a permit.