"Water Resistant" cell phones and kayaking

I have one of the new Samsung galaxy phones that is supposed to be water resistant. I am reluctant to throw it in my pfd pocket without a waterproof bag or something… it it would be a lot more convenient. Anyone do this and not have issues? I roll a lot so it would get wet.

If you do carry your phone this way do you have a way to tether it?

Thx
Matt

There are different degrees of resistant…

My phone is supposed to be waterproof up to 3 feet for 30 minutes, but really–who would even think of purposely getting their phone wet? The phone stays in the stern compartment, so that I’m not even tempted to get it out while on the water.

Water resistant is not water proof. When kayaking/paddle boarding/camping, I switch my sim from my Moto G4 to a cheapie Kyocera Hydro: http://www.kyoceramobile.com/hydro-reach/ It’s one of the only phones I have seen advertised as water proof and can be found for under $50. unlocked.

I have Samsung 5, which is supposed to be water proof/resistant. if I am carrying it on me, I keep it in a dry pouch with a lanyard, which provides both extra water resistance and also a way t keep it attached to me. Even when in dry bag in hatch in boat, I usually stick it inside a second dry bag or zip lock, just in case.

I guide a lot for local outfitters. We do tell people we don’t advise bringing phones, yet many still do at their own risk. They aren’t rolling, so perhaps a bit different case than you have. But a few phones a year are lost, and the normal failure mode is dropping and the phone sinks. Second most common failure mode is rinsing gear after [addle with phone still in pocket. haven;t seen any where they got wet and ruined on water, but I guess it may take some time for the water to get in, so the short would happen after the trip is done.

@bowler1 said:
I have one of the new Samsung galaxy phones that is supposed to be water resistant.

Does the warranty cover water damage?

Samsung Galaxy S7 was not covered: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2524137/water-resistant-samsung-galaxy-s7-phones-not-covered-for-water-damage-angry-brits-discover/

True that water resistant and waterproof are not the same. Theoretically the 1 meter for 30 minutes standard should be sufficient for rolling. However I don’t know if I really buy their claims which is why I asked the question.

I believe my GPS and marine radio have the same water resistance rating. I get them wet regularly.

But good point on the warranty

@bowler1 said:
True that water resistant and waterproof are not the same. Theoretically the 1 meter for 30 minutes standard should be sufficient for rolling. However I don’t know if I really buy their claims which is why I asked the question.

I believe my GPS and marine radio have the same water resistance rating. I get them wet regularly.

But good point on the warranty

1 meter isn’t much when you are moving in the water - or water is moving around you. The speed difference between you and the water will create a dynamic pressure which can easily be higher than 1 meter of water column.

When our radios and other equipment survive, it is probably because they can withstand a much higher pressure than 1 meter of water column. The “1 meter for 30 minutes” just happens to be the highest standardised water resistance (IP_7) , and it seems that some vendors do not go beyond that in their published ratings of water resistance.

There is an IP_8 too, but it is not standardised. Or rather, the standard more or less says “anything better than IP_7”.

(The “_” in the ratings above can be anything. This is just a rating for dust resistance. But it will usually be 6 or X as in IPX7 or IP67.)

Pelican box attached to the boat.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seattle-sports--e-merse-large-dry-padded-cell-phone-case-yellow--14384671?recordNum=1

I put mine in one of these.

I guess I will keep using a case. Would be convenient not to and be nice for using the camera but probably not worth risking it. I was hoping someone else may have already tested it out with positive results

The Lifeproof case for the Samsung is waterproof to 2m for an hour.

https://www.lifeproof.com/en-us/galaxy-s8/fre-for-galaxy-s8/lpfr-sam-gs8.html

My Kyocera Brigadier lives in a mesh PFD pocket, tethered. It is a rare day that I go kayaking and come home dry. My phone rolls and swims with me and no problems probably two years now.

@Sparky961 said:
My Kyocera Brigadier lives in a mesh PFD pocket, tethered. It is a rare day that I go kayaking and come home dry. My phone rolls and swims with me and no problems probably two years now.

That’s good to hear! I recently ditched my Microsoft phone for this one. I haven’t taken it on the water yet, but good to hear that it really IS “Waterproof,” as advertised.

@wildernesswebb said:
That’s good to hear! I recently ditched my Microsoft phone for this one. I haven’t taken it on the water yet, but good to hear that it really IS “Waterproof,” as advertised.

Indeed. Try to keep the seals of the covers clean and in good condition. I’m very careful with them.

I expect I’m probably pushing the “advertised” waterproofness, but if I quickly killed it with my wet usage I’d have simply searched out another better one.

As I’ve been known to say in the past, this isn’t the fastest phone, nor the lightest, nor does it have the best screen or camera, but it is certainly a good companion on the water and in in the back country. I don’t know what other phones are sporting for batteries these days, but this one seemed huge when I first looked at the specs. I can make it last at least a week with very judicious use of the camera and GPS.