Epic V5 Composite Surf and Sea Trial

First and foremost: I am an Epic Expert for Southeastern, NC. I make videos to attach to my emails so folks can learn more about the kayaks they are interested in testing. Please check out my latest offering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-jLe8_m6Ms&t=4s

Thanks for the video. Looks like a nice boat.

I sure wish there was a variation with the Trackmaster Plus rudder that my 16X has (our V6 has the non-retractable version). I prefer to car top my kayaks backwards and upside down, so I like being able to retract the rudder into the hull.

I don’t paddle in surf, just recreationally on inland lakes. The old GPX sit on top would probably work well for most of my uses.

Nice video Jim. The size and weight, should make a good seller.

@Medawgone said:
Nice video Jim. The size and weight, should make a good seller.

Exactly! Chris in the video is 69 years young, and she was wary of testing the ocean in a 70 pound plastic sea kayak. The 27.5 pound weight was tailor made for her. She can finally lift a kayak over her head to take it on and off of her van.

Hmm. I paddled the Epic V7 during the Michigan paddle relay. Fun ski. This one looks like more fun because it’s lighter.

The V5 lightweight is a clear winner in every respect except that the price puts it up against the Stellar 16 ski that is much less wampum and also stable, light and fun ski.

@magooch said:
The V5 lightweight is a clear winner in every respect except that the price puts it up against the Stellar 16 ski that is much less wampum and also stable, light and fun ski.

Stellar 16 is much less wampum? On what planet? Not according to the Epic and Stellar websites.

The light weight (27#) V5 Epic is $3395. I was just looking at the 16", 35 lb. Stellar at a dealer for $2700.
My only point is that the V5 Epic isn’t without competition on this planet.

Epic shows a price of $1445 for the rotomold version of the V5. Not bad, if the higher weight (46 lbs) isn’t a big deterrent.

I really enjoy how simple it is to slide my little WW kayak in the truck bed.

How well could a roto V5 be transported upside-down on crossbars? I’ve seen Prijon Barracudas transported that way without any deformation. And I was envious.

Dayumn, and here I thought I was done buying boats for at least a few more years.

For some reason this has reminded me that folks who sometimes are seeking a kayak that is easy to transport and store but are unsure about inflatables and such, there are some sectional rigid boats that might be the solution. A while back I remember one that I think was plastic and was held together by a band, or strap around each joint. Assembly and disassembly was quick and easy.

I guess this is somewhat off topic, but still related in a way.

@magooch said:
For some reason this has reminded me that folks who sometimes are seeking a kayak that is easy to transport and store but are unsure about inflatables and such, there are some sectional rigid boats that might be the solution. A while back I remember one that I think was plastic and was held together by a band, or strap around each joint. Assembly and disassembly was quick and easy.

Not related at all.

@pikabike said:

How well could a roto V5 be transported upside-down on crossbars?

Should be fine. I carry our V6 that way.

@magooch said:

The sectionals are too wiiiiidddde.

I’ve always thought that any maker of outdoor gear that makes the company name THE most prominent feature of every product they sell ought to sell those products at substantial discount. If I were in the market for such a boat, the first thing I’d do after buying one is get rid of that obtrusive logo, since surely Epic wouldn’t offer to pay me to flaunt it for them. Anyone who knows how lucrative it is to install a huge and ugly billboard on their property would probably agree.

:wink: