Best part of a trip

I decided to take last week off and do a multi-day paddle-trip.
So I contacted a bunch of paddle-buddies and got responses from: “great!” to “I wish” to “I’ll ask the boss”.
My plan was to circumnavigate Apache Lake, moving camp every night, living out of my kayak. Then I saw the expected temps! 115 and rising! So switched to Blue Ridge which was smaller with fewer campsites but was in the mid-80s.
Spent a week planning, choosing gear, going over menu’s, making maps. Hauled out everything I wanted to take and thinned it out a bit. Searched for Geocaches in the area.

Then the trip. Four of us driving 5 1/2 hours to the lake. Looking for a spot to set up. Then moving to a better spot the next day.
Yes, Odile was afraid that we’d be struck by lightening. Yes, the chipmunks chewed my x-pot into ruin. Yes, Shawna spilled her hot coffee onto her bare leg. But the trip was fun and relaxing and worth the drive.

Then the drive home. Stopped in Phoenix for lunch and it was a blast furnace.
Got home, unpacked the gear and spent the rest of Sat and all day Sunday washing boats and gear. Seperating the stuff that needed repair from stuff that was ready to pack away. Trying to find my hard-case with my wallet in the mess and where did my other zori go? Back-flushing my water filter and modifying gear that could be improved.

Then back to work

I LOVE the packing and planning. I HATE the clean-up afterwards.

I like the first shower , cold beer and that feeling of Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Cleanup is anticlimactic!

Just skip the clean-up step. My multi-day gear stays pretty handy during the prime tripping season. My paddling stuff is very accessible year round.

But yes, of course there are some things that can’t be avoided. Let me know if you figure out that part.

It is a lot of work, but very, very worth it!

Rent a cabin nearby. Go here, paddle there, chill on the porch as the sun sets.

@string said:
Rent a cabin nearby. Go here, paddle there, chill on the porch as the sun sets.

Agreed. That way someone else cleans the cabin.

We place the RV in a park near the paddle for the dog. He keeps it ready for us with AC on and drinks cold. Twenty minutes to the RV or two hours to the house. Closer to Ahhhhhhhhh. Of course there is the RV to clean up and put away back home as well as the kayaks…but those three day base camp paddling weekends are nice.

My parents graduated from tents to campers to RV. I never liked those trailers but I like the sound of 3 day excursions.

@string said:
My parents graduated from tents to campers to RV. I never liked those trailers but I like the sound of 3 day excursions.

This is my plan in a few years, maybe decades. Whenever I get tired of sleeping on the ground.