Need help picking a kayak.

Hello
My name is Patrick Catalano. I have been fishing from a sit inside kayak for about 4 years now (perception sound 10.5) and now I have decided to upgrade to a sit on top kayak. I have about 5 kayaks picked out that have I liked.

Feelfree lure 10
Perception pescador pro 10
Vibe seaghost 110
Ascend 128t sit on top kayak

I like these kayaks because they have comfortable seats, can easily put a fish finder in them. They are wide and stable when standing on them ( I am 5’9" and 169lbs and still growing) , and most of all under $1000. I need help finding which of these kayaks are the best. They all are good but I don’t have any kayaking stores near me to test them out. I really appreciate it.

Patrick

Look at Wilderness Systems Tarpons. They are listed as touring boats but are great for fishing.
Look at going a little longer, like 12’.

What type of water are you fishing? Ponds? Rivers (and if so, is water moving)? Large lakes? Open water/ocean?

@Peter-CA said:
What type of water are you fishing? Ponds? Rivers (and if so, is water moving)? Large lakes? Open water/ocean?

Peter, I will be fishing in rivers on the tributarys on Lake Michigan and small to medium sized lakes.

@Patrick Catalano said:

@Peter-CA said:

Peter, I will be fishing in rivers on the tributarys on Lake Michigan and small to medium sized lakes.
I forgot to say, water moves slow except in spring.

I think you should search for best kayak reviews before deciding. I prefer Perception pescador pro 10 as i had more than i was expecting. There were little things that i found impressive like rod holders and hull access were better. Keeping the cost of this kayak in view while comparing it with others i will totally vote for pescador pro, Also, you can do some upgrades to if you like.

I haven’t paddled any of those, but have seen good reviews on the Pescador and the Feel Free. I’d look at weight if you will be loading this kayak on a roof rack by yourself. Some fishing kayaks are quite heavy. Also look at what kind of outfitting comes on the kayak. More built-in outfitting means less aftermarket stuff you need to add afterwards. If you see yourself doing longer distances or overnighter camping with this kayak, then look at longer kayaks.

I used to do a bit of fishing from an Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 configured as a solo. I mounted a milk crate behind the seat with PVC pipe sections zip-tied to it for rod holders. My tackle went into the crate and everything had a leash on it so it wouldn’t be lost if I flipped the boat. I spent many a day on the ocean on that boat. Then I paddled a regular sit-inside kayak and never went back. I just sold the sit-on-top after building my first stitch and glue boat. Paddling a sit-on-top is like paddling a snow plow. That’s why most fisher folk go for the Hobies with the pedal drives. You might want to rethink your budget or, at least, try out a SOT before you spend your hard-earned cash.

My concern when choosing a Kayak is staying comfortable. Feel Free would be my choice, the seat and space on a Feel free Lure is ideal for me.
My personal recommendation would be an Atak 120 (not in your list) or if you want to be mobile go check out an inflatable kayak.