What Happens if you Ignore This Advice?

I promise that I’m following this advice for kayak storage

but I’m curious as to what happens if you don’t. Does the kayak change shape? Anyone seen that happen?

The biggest difference is with poly boats and their bulkheads - especially when it’s hot. If you hang them with webbing straps around the bulkheads, everything stays nicely in shape, and the bulkheads stay sealed. If you rest them, and especially strap them tight, in the heat, and especially in the sun, away from the bulkheads, even a temporary change of shape will mess up your bulkhead seal. And somehow, they don’t want to re-seal themselves watertight. Supporting a kayak at the bulkheads is just supporting it at the most solid part of the boat. Nothing gives or mis-shapes when you store it that way.

And the wider the straps the better. Don’t use rope.
I use old school dive weight belt material.

http://www.austinkayak.com/blog/2013/11/kayak-storage/

I don’t get that drawing showing storing a kayak on its side is a no-no. That’s exactly how my thermoformed kayaks are stored over the winter at our pool…although I do insert short pool noodles under the bulkheads.

The last drawing looks like it is on the side on the floor. I guess you could get a flat spot over time but I don’t understand it either.

What happens if you ignore this advice? YOU WILL DIE!

Ok, I should explain this before people think I’ve completely lost it. Actually, this has nothing to do with kayak storage, but it’s a funny story anyway.

At the take out on a recent trip to Killarney, Ontario, Canada, we were near to a couple with two children, perhaps in their early teens or thereabouts. They had a tandem kayak and a canoe that had been rented for the trip. It seemed the boy and his mother would be paddling the kayak. The (assumed) father was explaining the ins and outs of kayaking to his (assumed) son. There’s a lot of assuming going on here, but I’m also thinking this is the first time such a discussion had taken place. The discussion went a little like this:

Dad: “Put this on, it will keep the waves from coming in the boat. This is a very stable boat. It won’t flip over. But if it does flip over, you need to pull the blue thing right away.”
Mom: “Are you listening? You could die!”
Dad: “People have been left to die in their boats if they didn’t pull the blue thing. But this is a very stable boat”.

Now, I may have paraphrased a little due to memory lapse, but I kid you not - this was how the conversation went. So, apparently that’s what’s going to happen to the very confused young man if he ignores the “sage” advice from his “expert” father.

Back to kayak storage, why would you want to store it any of the ways they say not to anyway? It’s so much easier to support a boat at the bulkheads. Every material and structure sags, bends, and warps over time. There are some that do it fast (like a plastic boat) and others that take millions? of years (like the earth’s crust?). Start out giving the boat the best possible chance and it will repay you by not getting out of shape. All said and done though, I doubt you’d die.

Are blue things related to grey things?

@string said:
The last drawing looks like it is on the side on the floor. I guess you could get a flat spot over time but I don’t understand it either.

“Balance of the paddling craft upon narrow thread is disallowed”

@string said:

What’s it matter if yours is a different colour than mine or theirs? Can’t we all just get along?

@string said:

I agree. I have one plastic boat that is stored this way and have not had any problems.

Mmmmmmm…hanging from the toggles, 3rd pic, I store one this way. During a recent surf session the hatches leaked. So…if you hang em from the toggles the hatches leak. :s

They are saying to put any weight bearing straps etc where there are bulkheads, which prevent the hull deforming. Except you don’t have bulkheads, so none of the above are quite right for you.

I would still hang it on its side or its hull using two points as in the top 2 photos. But I would add a thick layer of minicell foam or plumbing insulation to cushion it more, since there aren’t bulkheads to help prevent deformity. That should take care of it.

I do this nice wide straps

Your garage looks like mine. Why waste the space on cars?

@Sparky961 said:

@string said:

What’s it matter if yours is a different colour than mine or theirs? Can’t we all just get along?

You may not be aware of the grey thing’s history.

@string said:

@Sparky961 said:

@string said:

Nope, apparently not. Enlighten me?

@Sparky961 said:

@string said:

@Sparky961 said:

@string said:

Nope, apparently not. Enlighten me?

https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/438612/x

The grey thing was before I joined, but the above link was posted not long ago. But I don’t think it includes the entire thread.

@Several The grey thing was the term used by a poster some years ago who got a rec boat - Pamlico something - and spent considerable time in posts on pnet making it clear he knew almost nothing about paddling and being pretty obnoxious about any who had a sea kayak. One of his earliest posts included a question about what “the grey thing” was in his kayak (the built-in minicell). That would have been a chuckle that went away had he not then touted his red Pamlico over every other boat anyone else had, including emailing a few folks privately to continue the fight. I suspect I am not the only one who had to block him.

I don’t think it was ever totally decided whether this was a real person or a troll. He went away in any case, so maybe it was a kid who grew up a bit when he got to college age.

No doubt he is now in his mid 20’s. Lived in Fort Collins, CO, and his first name was Robert and last name started with a D. I often wondered what became of him. He was an annoying twit!

@Peter-CA said:

@string said:

I agree. I have one plastic boat that is stored this way and have not had any problems.

I stored one this way outside at my old house. A poly boat it has been stored on its side, drug 100 yards on gravel, tumbled in the surf and knocked off the truck by a light pole. It still paddles great, dosen’t leak and looks good. They are tougher than you think.

Of course was this a general question or a question on a specific model of light weigh boat with light structure and thin skin?