Decent SUP Surf Movie with Kalama, Boehne and Friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=YPRLVT3Nz6o

Infinity waveski from Steve (not Dave) Boehne just arrived. In time. Surf’s up all along the east coast. Looking to be an active fall swell with pretty active tropical development in the Atlantic basin…

sing

@sing said:
Infinity waveski from Steve (not Dave) Boehne just arrived. In time. Surf’s up all along the east coast. Looking to be an active fall swell with pretty active tropical development in the Atlantic basin…

sing

Waves are picking up here this week from NW winter angle here. Turned off chilly in the mornings. May have to give up and bring out the wetsuit. Which model did you get? Length? I really like my short custom infinity stinger, had it for seven years now and still my favorite.

Got the 9’ version of the Infinity Stinger. Basically, want a sit down version of a SUP to catch smaller, sloppier waves that we get so much of around here and to round out my quiver of two J-Bays and mini Longboard from Island Waveskis. Rode 2.5’ remanants of Jose yesterday. Caught waves almost as much as the SUPers on a local beach break (some of these guys need lessons in surf ettiquette/how not to be a wave hog). I think it works pretty well. It’s “floatier” than my Island Longboard and pops over foam piles and breaking waves well because of the wider/thicker nose. Got incoming Maria swells for the rest of this week to further test ride. Still testing out the center fin placement and some outfitting.

sing

Wow… Just found another US based shaper. MacSki apparently has moved here from Australia. I would have been interested in this model:

http://www.macskisurfgear.com/legend/

I am so out of the virtual and real life waveski networks. Just noticed that the waveski forums seem mostly defunct. Guess we are quiety surfing our respective breaks. Heck, I have not seen a waveskier/surf kayaker in several years on my home break. Last time was about 3 years ago when I ran into a South African transplant who lived in the area. He must have moved away.

sing

I only pull my waveski out when the waves are really choppy or overhead. Still trying to get to the point of a competent SUP surfer. Problem is only surfing rough conditions or big waves on my waveski is really hard on my lower back. SUP surfing is pain free. Ian Macleod has been involved with a group here in San Diego, a fellow waveskier was involved in his business here promoting the Macskis but I am not sure that has gone very far. There are still a handful of waveskiers I see every now and then but I think it’s almost a dead sport in US>. There was a guy really struggling on a waveski a few weeks ago and I tried to give him some advice on how to paddle out and he got real pissy with me. Oh well, he was putting on quite a show getting thrashed.

" There are still a handful of waveskiers I see every now and then but I think it’s almost a dead sport in US>."

That’s too bad, if for nothing else than that we lose the interest of new shapers in the US to produce well designed, custom waveskis.

“There was a guy really struggling on a waveski a few weeks ago and I tried to give him some advice on how to paddle out and he got real pissy with me. Oh well, he was putting on quite a show getting thrashed.”

I still volunteer coach a MMA program. One of the folks noted that I have a “point of indifference” in my approach – that is I offer my advice but then I don’t seem to care anymore afterwards Hmmm… That is true. I feel an obligation to offer a suggestion (if the context calls for it) but than I know it’s totally “off me” on whether the advice is taken. Some folks need to learn the hard way (actually I’m sort of like that myself)… :slight_smile:

sing