Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which kayak to choose?

I am looking to buy a sit on top kayak for under $1000. I would mainly be using it to fish out of, but I travel a lot and would love to try it out on some whitewater as well. I know I'm trying to blend two kayaks into one, but has anyone had any experience with this? Or have any advice?

I have done hours upon hours of research on this. So far, my favorite is the 10.5" Kaku Wahoo. Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• 10.5" Kaku Wahoo is good. Solid body and 66 lbs,great while traveling.

• You are trying to to do very different jobs - white water and fishing. But it matters what type of white water you are looking to do - do you have a white water class level in mind?

For sit on tops, there are only a few that are made for use in white water. The Pyranha Fusion has a sit on top version. And Dagger Torrent is a sit on top boat made for white water. You could take a look at them and see if they would meet your need for fishing. These boats don't come with bait wells, rod holders, gear tracks, etc. - things fishermen often like.

You may want to consider inflatable. Something like the Advanced Elements Strait edge Angler is made a fishing boat that can also handle up to class III rivers: https://www.advancedelements.com/kayaks/inflatable-kayak-ae1006ang/

Looking at the Wahoo, there is nothing in the specs saying that it can handle white water, nor does the design look like it. Most would be fine in class 1 (but expect to flip), advanced paddlers in class II (but this is true for most any kayak).

• If you're a minimalist fisherman as I am, you should choose a kayak that will work in the whitewater. That is, I'm not the kind of fisherman who carries several rods, a big tackle box, etc. I have almost everything I need on my Stohlquist fishing vest:

So I can use a SINK that isn't intended for fishing: