Tips for Cleaning/Rinsing Inside of Sit-in Kayak?

When I take my Perception Sonoma fishing, it gets dirty inside. There’s not drain hole, and the company advised me not to drill one.

The only good way I’ve found to clean it is to hose the inside, then pump the water out with my bilge pump.

Do you have any tips on how to do this in an easier and faster way?

Thanks.

Well…if this is a troll, ya got me. But…put kayak on saw horses or your kayak stand of choice. Spray cockpit. Invert to drain water. Repeat as needed. Sponge out residual water.

The problem is that with the shape of my kayak, inverting isn’t that effective. That is, there’s still a lot of water in it after I do that.

What kayak is it? Do you have bulkheads?
I wash and or rinse and roll my kayaks over. Then sponge or pump the last half gallon or less out .

Does your kayak have two sealed bulkheads? Couldn’t find any specs. If not, add flotation bags and anchor in securely. Then you can rinse the kayak, lift up the bow and turn it over so the water streams out of the cockpit. Set it back down and sponge up whatever’s left.

I’m guessing no bulkheads. If that is the case then you should be able to roll the boat up on it’s side to drain much of it out then back & forth upside down with one end then the other on the ground until enough water is out that you can pick it up & finish the job. The first is classic OC1 process after filling up a bit in a rapid. Sit in the water with the gunnel on you thighs & tip slowly until most of the water is out. The rock back & forth upside down is how & drain the skin-on-frame kayak (air bags but no bulkheads, 17’ long). It’s kind of roll & lift slowly then repeat from the other end until enough is out for the time being.

What they said.

I’ll add that you should be sure to get any dead shrimp out from under the seat any way you can. Believe me, it is important.

1 Like

Even get the live shrimp out.

1 Like

To folks above. It is a rec boat, and has been very discussed lately about how to carry and self-rescue.
To PianoAl - upside down, rock it back and forth then finish with a sponge to get to the smaller bits of water. A big sloppy one that’ll hold a good bit of water.

Okay, got it.

It’s this boat, and the entire stern is filled with NRS flotation bags. Soon, I’ll do the same for the bow.

Remove dead and live shrimp. Check. :wink:

@Overstreet said:
What they said.

I’ll add that you should be sure to get any dead shrimp out from under the seat any way you can. Believe me, it is important.

I tried using shrimp as bait, based on your comment. It worked pretty well.

But I laughed when I dropped one, and it went under the seat!

Every once and a while deflate the bag and rinse it and the inside of the boat. As I recall you stay in sweet water. The mess should be less.

Shop vacuum the rest out, although salt water might be hard on your shop vac.
Or let it dry completely then vacuum it out.
Otherwise I would just install a drain plug at the stern to use that to drain the majority of the water, and sponge out the rest.

I haul my kayaks upside down on the roof rack, rather than hull down. Several reasons for this, among them better aerodynamics on the highway, less chance of oilcanning the hull on hot days and no worries about rain getting into the hull on long drives in storms. It also means that the boats drain completely while I am driving. And when I have gotten a lot of muck and/or sand in the boat(s), I stop at a drive in car wash on my way home and use the high pressure rinse to blast up into the cockpit of the inverted boat to flush it out. Then the rest of the drive home usually results in the mess draining out and the hull drying out due to air flow.

I recruit anyone I can find, turn it over and rock it side to side and back and forth.

After almost every paddle (in fresh water), I turn the boat on edge and let a substantial amount of water into the cockpit. Then I slosh it back and forth for a while before heaving the bow up into the crook of my elbow (this is in about 1-2 feet of water) and draining it. Every couple of times out, I’ll open the hatches and rinse one at a time, draining it the same way. Not all of the water escapes and a I use a bilge pump and sponge for the remainder. I always have a clean boat to grab and take paddling somewhere on short notice.

I bought a small-sized shop-vac that handles water. Wash the inside, vac the water out and sponge what the vac misses.

When out in the wild, I use that drain-plug I added despite the manufacturer’s thoughts.

Drill a hole in the nose. Cover with duct tape until needed to use

You can buy drain ports and plugs.

I just pump mine out turn on it’s side and sponge out.