Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The BEST WILD HORSES encounter ever at the Salt River, they are everywhere!

We had the best encounter of wild horses yet, and I had to share it! A video is the only thing that will come close to doing it justice, so.. enjoy!!

https://youtu.be/yQAv3Q_OcXc

Comments

• I've done this many a time.
    One trip, we did the Salt by moonlight (midnight paddle) when someone called, "Horses on river right". We looked over to watch, by the light of the Full Moon, a herd of mares and colts grazing in the river.
    Then someone yelled, "STAMPEDE!" and the rest of the herd charged across from River Left to join the mares. They ran between and some jumped over our kayaks!
    I just ducked and hoped that the hooves would miss my head.

• Where is this Salt River? Clearly it's not the one I know!

• The Salt starts in NE Arizona and flows through the Roosevelt Lake system into Phoenix, then west to eventually reach the Colorado River.

The stretch we are discussing runs from Steward Dam at Saguaro lake (home of the 12' catfish) in Northerm Phoenix, along the border of phoenix for about a dozen miles.
    It is a popular tubing and day-paddling area with a number of wild horse herds along the shores.

• Thank you! I'll make it out there again someday!

• We've encountered herds while rafting on the Green River/Desolation Canyon several times. A few years back we had some really close, similar to the video above. Happy to say, none within hoof distance like RikJohnson's encounter.

• These wild horses are part of a herd I have encountered on numerous occasions.
    I was NOT using a telephoto lens when I took these photos.
    I've found that if you move toward them at an angle (very slowly) instead of a straight line to them, and you don't make eye contact, you can get very close. I've been as close as 9 foot from some of them on several occasions.
    Young colts are prone to walk up to you, if not controlled by the adults.
    Brave or foolhardy colts make for nervous adults.

!

I do not tell the herd's location, due to harassment by drunken "river dorks" I've observed.

BOB

• I have put-in and taken-out at Butcher Jones Beach and found herds of horses and donkeys grazing among the pick-nik area.
    They are so used to people they generally keep watch and leave if anyone starts trouble, otherwise they graze and poop!

• The ranger at Cumberland Island used to tell visitors about the tourist with camera running down the road with a wild stallion hot on his heels nipping at the photographer's back. Seems he tried to get a good picture and got too close. The rangers at Yellowstone tell similar stories of tourists trying to get similar pictures of bison often with deadly results.

Be careful with your stalking for photos.

• NPR this morning had a segment on “wild horses”
    There has been DNA testing done
    There are feral horses but no genes of wild horses
    Bummer

• NPR this morning had a segment on “wild horses”

There has been DNA testing done There are feral horses but no genes of wild horses <<

Really?
    ALL wild horses in America are descended from domesticated horses. The native Americans exterminated the American Horse long before Columbus so the only horses in the US today, be they in a corral or the Wild ARE domesticated so all are feral!

• So they are feral