What's your feather angle and paddle if you have a Euro?

I started with 15* 7 years ago then 30* now tending to use 45* tried 60* on my Werner ikelos 205 CM yesterday. Looked like 90* have to check tomorrow. Didn’t feel comfortable.

Never cared to feather a paddle - ever. No, not even in high winds. I don’t care if I lose a small amount of efficiency due to wind resistance. The last two paddles I purchased only have this one setting.

I think it’s very much a preference thing. Much like the rudder vs. skeg debate. It could get nasty. :wink:

I use a 60 on the Euro except in surf . Personally I prefer the Greenland.

Zero. Werner Cyprus 210.

I use 60 on a Werner Camano. Back when paddles went to 90 degrees, I used that. No judgement on who uses what, I’ve seen fine paddlers feathered and unfeathered
I’ve given the grandkids feathered paddles and within a half hour they are very comfortable with it.
Life is too interesting to get locked in to any one mindset!

I have used paddles with blade offsets anywhere from 80 degrees to zero offset. Back in the late 1980s, most high quality whitewater kayak paddles had an 80 degree offset. As time went on, 60 degree offsets became more common, then 45 degrees, then less.

I generally prefer a paddle with at least 45-60 degrees of offset. I find that this allows my wrists to remain in much better alignment throughout the stroke. Thirty degrees is as low as I would willingly go.

The idea that paddles with offset blades are good because they reduce wind resistance is largely hokum. This might be true when paddling into a headwind, but for any given degree of offset there will be a wind direction that is unfavorable for that paddle. Paddles with fully offset blades tend to catch a lot of wind on the upper blade during the recovery in a cross wind, and that can be much more difficult to deal with than resistance from a headwind.

But offset blades are easier to knife through waves than unfeathered ones. A good deal of kayaking lore in the US derived from European whitewater kayak slalom racers. Offset blades originated with slalom racers because the made gate pole touches with the upper blade less likely.

I started off with 45. However after a few seasons of rolling classes. I realized I need to know where that blade will be at all times. Have kept it 0 feather last few years.
Werner Ikelos 215

0 degree feather, ONNO wing paddles.

I see in USK video Wayne H. Has a paddle that goes to 90* it also has an index on the werner shaft it is a raised portion like if you taped on a 1/4" dowel.

0 degree. Generally 205 cm Werners, with my Shuna being my most common used blade.

Wonder why Werner stopped making 90* feather.? Maybe the design doesn’t allow it have to look at it in the morning.

@PaddleDog52 said:
Wonder why Werner stopped making 90* feather.? Maybe the design doesn’t allow it have to look at it in the morning.

I guess they ran out of white ink.

You can feather the paddle at any angle in 15° steps. There is just no printed scale for angles higher than 60°.

@Allan Olesen said:

@PaddleDog52 said:

I guess they ran out of white ink.

You can feather the paddle at any angle in 15° steps. There is just no printed scale for angles higher than 60°.

I it

Ok then I did have it at 90*

My favourite is a 210cm bent Werner Cyprus at 30°. I keep trying 45° but it just doesn’t feel natural to me.

My wife prefers her straight 205cm Cyprus at 0°.

60 right handed setting when paddling into wind from left quartering
60 left handed setting when paddling into wind from right quartering
(the above minimizes getting hit with spray off paddle)
0 other times
The brain has to make a mental ‘check’ of this, if there’s a chance of rolling.

I’ve tried it all over the place, then settled on 0 degrees for everything except into the wind–which is 60 degrees with all of my paddles. The odd thing for me is that I am right handed, but I use my left hand as the control hand when feathered. Is that legal?

I use 60 right most often and 0 less so. My Greenland is of course 0. I got started out with 60 so that seems natural to me now.

Once I started using Greenland paddles, I drilled my carbon AT to allow 0 degrees, it came with a single hole for 30. Seems better for old damaged wrists, but I use Greenland mostly, which is even better.

@magooch said:
Is that legal?
Don’t worry. Just avoid getting caught.