Cars for Paddling

Not pressing any opinions here, just sharing a factoid that some may find interesting. I was out at a local Toyota dealership today picking up a couple of coupons for things and felt that I should let a salesperson talk to me since I had just gotten a $10 Visa card and a coupon for a Butterball turkey just for registering and showing up. I am one of those drive it into the ground types, so hardly was expecting to get talked into a car with my Rav4 still a bit under 60,000 miles…

But I did get something useful out of this trip. Toyota packaging of their options had made it tricky to get the Rav4 I am currently driving set up with what I wanted. I managed it but it took more work than what I was used to with how Ford and Subaru package their add-ons.

The news is that Toyota has an new “Adventure” version of Rav4 for for 2018 that is a strong match for the Subaru Forester as well as, IMO, Subaru Outback in its features. Including 18 rather than the 19 inch tires that their Limited edition, heated cloth seats, uncoated black roof rails. Still more features than the basic cars, but put together to accept some manhandling rather than impress the grandparents.

Nice goodies just for showing up! Toyota’s a super brand. Had they continued the Matrix, I would have bought another. While I like my Honda Fit, I wish the front passenger seat would fold forward and flat, like my Matix seat did.

I bet a car would be hard to paddle.

Speak roughly to your little car and paddle it when it wheezes.
It only does it to annoy and when the coolant freezes.
Cough! Cough! Cough!
Cough! Cough! Cough!

I would prefer an Amphicar for paddling (but currently run a Subaru Impreza)…

@gstamer said:

Someone in my area owns one and has brought it to the lake a few times this summer. Only in early evening when there’s no wind. Always tempted to launch a kayak and race it.

Probably not the greatest thing for the water, but neither are the trucks loading/unloading power boats when they back into the lake and the vehicle is half-submerged.

@gstamer said:

I use to see one around Tampa Bay back in the late 60s.

I love my Subaru Impreza when it comes to car topping my boats. My Yakima rack is at shoulder height, and my overall millage is just over 30mpg. I don’t live in a city, but I have a boat on top for at least a 1/3 of that millage. It is low to the ground, but I seem to manage alright if I pick my way when off the road.

@pikabike said:
Speak roughly to your little car and paddle it when it wheezes.
Cough! Cough! Cough!
Cough! Cough! Cough!

My dear fine lady would you be so kind as you turn key my ignition,
to remember what I node as spark plugs die hard chargin’ sears in my cognition.
Cough! Cough! Cough!
Give a jump and don’t scoff!
Die Hard chargin’ sears in my cognition.

Thanks to castoff for finding a photo of an amphib car. We had little red one in the area years ago that, if you were out on a local lake, would be seeing motoring around with a fishing line hanging out of it after work many days. I just didn’t have time to go find a photo, the first thing that occurred to me after String’s post.

I would love to take credit, but it was Greg Stamer that posted that fine photo.

I tried to search on “amphicar” and each time I typed “am” Amazon slammed onto my page. Only after several attempts and then typing “mphicar” and quickly inserting the initial a did the correct result show up.

Hmmmm! I have not ordered from the goliath in many years and I hate them.

@pikabike said:
I tried to search on “amphicar” and each time I typed “am” Amazon slammed onto my page. Only after several attempts and then typing “mphicar” and quickly inserting the initial a did the correct result show up.

Errh? Do you browse the Internet from a HAL9000 computer?

“I can’t let you do that, Pika.”

Or in other words: I have never heard about a browser which takes so much control that it wants to correct your spelling in the middle of typing a search term. So what on earth are you doing?

I was doing the same as I always do, nothing different.

Amazons!
In Amphicars!
Cruise away from my cyber reach.
What the heck!
Damn textual check
resorts to make life beach!

And damn that Hal!
He ain’t no pal
with type entry I implore!
And it ain’t just Dave
his spaced-out deprave
unhinges at mother ship door!

@gstamer said:

Before a certain local service station (the old-fashioned kind) changed owners a few years back, local Amphicar enthusiasts would stop in at the place and chat with each other, since the head mechanic worked on those things. I was surprised to find that in a town this size, there are actually quite a few of those cars still running.

And yes, I don’t think they dealt with rough water very well.

Get the Volkswagen Schwimmwagen and you won’t need a boat or paddle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lXV3p_c5PU

Question: is that a fleet, a convoy, or a school?

Wife had a six wheeler at the farm. She loaded it too heavy with pond chemicals once and almost sunk it.

It ist und Volfpakken! (Note zee SW-“U”### ont vun oof thost vaterbuugs inst zee schvimm.)

https://media1.britannica.com/eb-media/76/130776-004-EF7CF8A7.jpg

Iron-clad DUKWeee,
you’re so fine.
Them bayou gators,
gonna lose canines!
Iron-clad DUKWeee,
I’m awfully fond of you!

“Schwimmagen!!?”
Damn these tippy canoes!

I like your course of thinking Celia…quite often the quality of water we choose to paddle in is dictated by the route we have to take to get to it…