Advice choosing Kayak Seattle

Male 5’8 185 Would like a Kayak that I could take on lakes, rivers, and the Sound. Would like to go Solo, with my dog and occasionally substitute my wife for my dog. Beginner to intermediate paddler. Ideas?
thanks
Steve

Two questions: How big is the dog? Have you thought about another kayak for the wife? Otherwise, you’re talking about a tandem, or maybe a canoe.

There are a bunch of boats that you could take the wife and the dog, but the ones I’m thinking about are sit on tops. Some are leg powered instead of regular paddles, or both, but I’ve never seen anyone paddling and using the flippers at the same time.

Wow, after checking the prices on those Hobies, I think you might want to consider a couple of kayaks and I just happen to know of a couple that would suit you just right. My sister and brother-in-law have a couple of Old Town kayaks they’ve hardly ever been used and they said they are going to sell them. One is a 14’ Dirigo and the other is a 13’ Cayuga. These boats have always been stored inside and like I said, they’ve been used maybe a half dozen times and are in very good condition.

We’re not in Seattle, but we’re not that far away–Kelso, Washington. Let me know if you’re interested.

A kayak that works for both 1 and 2 person (or 1 and a medium or large dog) usually requires a sit on top or recreational category boat (or a canoe). You can see the different categories of kayaks by looking at the article in California Kayaker Magazine on that subject in issue #10 at http://www.calkayakermag.com/magazine.html.

But you also had a wide variety of possible conditions - especially once you said on the sound. Protected water, as most lakes and slow moving rivers are, are appropriate for recreational class kayaks, but they are not appropriate for the sound, which can get more extreme conditions. Sit on tops can be used in the sound, but are not as popular in pacific northwest due to being exposed to weather and water more than in other types of kayaks.

I would suggest taking a class on kayaking and also renting a few times before buying. This will give you a lot more information that ill help you on your search, such as basic skills and chance to paddle a variety of craft to see what you like.

@Peter-CA said:
…I would suggest taking a class on kayaking and also renting a few times before buying. This will give you a lot more information that ill help you on your search, such as basic skills and chance to paddle a variety of craft to see what you like.

Ditto…

Get a tandem kayak if you wish to kayak with your dog or your wife, Keep the total weight in mind. As per the details i can suggest inflatable sea eagle 330 beginner tandem kayak. It can hold up to 500 lbs and is affordable and durable. It is only recommended for calm waters. If the weight of the kayak and transportation is not an issue then you can look for more. I won’t rate it as the best kayak. The seats are not as comfortable so you might have to replace them with Deluxe Inflatable Seats.