Paddling in South Florida

I am looking for suggestions on kayaking in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. Will be in the area Dec2017/Jan2018. I am looking for advice on a place to rent a good quality kayak for 1 - 2 days. Thanks!

See if you can make contact with the Miami Bush Paddlers. bushpaddlers.org/ They are a club in the area.

Check the Florida Paddle Trails Association, FPTA, web site and look for clubs and outfitters in that area. floridapaddlingtrails.com/ They also have a facebook page. Log on there and ask the question.

It’s not my area of operation.

read: Florida Keys Paddling Atlas (Paddling Series) BURNHAM
try outfitters near the flats
if renting freely with a low wind forecast, a lap around Flamingo’s front yard is excellent. Follow the channel then circumnavigate islands. See Florida Bay in Google Images.
If capable, paddle channel 5.
Camping is tight…motel also, Possibly space at the KOA.
Deep sunglasses and sunscreen. Hat

A ploy for camping: locate Long Key State Park, Curry Hammock SP. Openings may appear for Monday n Tuesday. Flamingo is always open. Buggy at night: head net DEET cotton gloves. If equipment is on hand camp kayak camp is doable.

If you don’t mind heading a bit further south, check out Frank and Monica’s Florida Bay Outfitters in Key Largo. Fine folks. I’ve never been to Miami, and I’ve only been to Lauderdale to scubadive.

@datakoll said:
A ploy for camping: locate Long Key State Park, Curry Hammock SP. Openings may appear for Monday n Tuesday. Flamingo is always open. Buggy at night: head net DEET cotton gloves. If equipment is on hand camp kayak camp is doable.

Long Key State Park is recovering from Hurricane Irma. Florida State Parks is working hard to reopen the park as quickly as possible. At this time the park is closed to campsite reservations through December 31, 2018.

Like many parks in the Keys.

goo.gl/iSCCw5

goo.gl/9UKKir

https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/flamdirections.htm

Outfitters touring the flats, KOA are maybe open. All else closed reported here including Flamingo’s campground and marina store.

I fled to Ely, Yellowstone, and Tetons before Irma who went over my garages at Fort Myers Beach. I’ll tour down this month. Bing and friends at NHC gave me a Bing Homepage for correctly predicting Irma’s path over the Naples Eddy, the area of columnars n thunderstorms Seen from the Mantanzas bridge in my backyard at FMB …thus evacuating Naples. Other than that I’m very pre Irma n pre Condo from 2008. I’m on dirt beach.

I’m the big lizard with one eye. If the poster connects with an outfitter I’m sure they’ll be happy to see you if you have 3 eyes.

I expect the new edgewater houses are washed out. Very fragile environment for man bird and insurance agents. Even Burnham’s book’s map info altered thru tide n wind. Was said after the previous storm…Katrina ? dead birds were flattened against the woodline going into Everglades City …also closed.

I wish I was paddling in South Florida right now.

If you want a great guided experience in the Everglades, book a tour with Evergladesareatours.com. The Mangrove Tunnel Tours are a great experience, with lots of photo opportunities.