Nor'east Winter and Surf, Finally...

First winter storm for us in MA. About 6" of snow, No biggie… More important, first post nor’easter surf with beautiful head high (6’) swells this AM, with strong offshore winds (15-20 knots) to clean up and steepen the wavefaces. Quickly dug out and got out to a local break. Would have been happy with maybe a foot less height in the waves for the first winter session. First outing in winter wetsuit, booties and mitts took a bit to get used to (also, clearly need more interval training) as the paddle out was more challenging and tiring then I expected. Thankfully, the roll was working and no bailing out needed in the washing machine breakzone.

Anyway, glad more normal NE winter pattern has arrived. Looks like another coastal disturbance this coming Tuesday and then Friday, each bringing another shot at some good paddle surfing. :slight_smile:

Mahalo. Bring it on. :slight_smile:

sing

Glad you got out. Wish I could have paddled this weekend, but I spent Saturday and Sunday putting up Christmas decorations at church. Same thing next weekend. Someday my soul will be glad, but it was kind of a bummer this weekend. :wink:

:slight_smile: We were supposed to be primitive camping on a barrier island last weekend. Weather forecast was 40 +/- and rain. Wife said, “It will be alright we can just warm up in the hot showers at the camp ground.” Wrong camp dear.

Happy that you are enjoying the winter weather.

@eckilson said:
Glad you got out. Wish I could have paddled this weekend, but I spent Saturday and Sunday putting up Christmas decorations at church. Same thing next weekend. Someday my soul will be glad, but it was kind of a bummer this weekend. :wink:

Hey you got a bunch of runs in this fall. Good to do something to give back. Karma. :wink:

sing

Happy Surfing Sing. Nice to hear you are still at it . We’ve had kind of flat conditions for a bit now with the offshore winds and fire. I got sidelined by the flu and an allergic reaction to meds. Hoping to get out next week.

@SeaDart said:
… I got sidelined by the flu and an allergic reaction to meds. Hoping to get out next week.

They got something here with flu systems that doesn’t act or react like normal flu. They’re calling it “fake flu”.

@SeaDart said:
Happy Surfing Sing. Nice to hear you are still at it . We’ve had kind of flat conditions for a bit now with the offshore winds and fire. I got sidelined by the flu and an allergic reaction to meds. Hoping to get out next week.

Get better soon, Val. I actually came down with something myself. I was going to take the flu shot but didn’t given the reported 10% effectiveness. Oh well.

I was out for a conference in Monterey last month, next to Asilomar. Each day, beautiful shoulder to head high waves coming in in full view from the conference space. Pure torture. I walked the beach and saw this woman catch one from way out and rode it all the way in (about a 100 yards) to the dump on the beach. Watching her ride, I couldn’t help myself. I started hooting and giving a high shaka. She looked over with the “huh?” look. I screamed, “Great RIDE!!!” She smiled and paddled back out. Made my day. B)

sing

You have to remember when anyone starts yelling at you while surfing in California it usually isn’t going to be a good thing .

Our winter melted away. Paddling great. Surf On! Coming to Boston next month.

@Chuck von Yamashita said:
Our winter melted away. Paddling great. Surf On! Coming to Boston next month.![]

When are you coming east, Chuck? I will be back in the Bay Area, week of Jan 22. If timing works, let’s meet up.

PS. Love the DD mug. :smiley:

sing

@sing said:
When are you coming east, Chuck? I will be back in the Bay Area, week of Jan 22. If timing works, let’s meet up.

Jan 24-Jan 31

Good to hear you’re getting out. I got sidelined with a nasty chest cold and have been taking things easy, need to start moving again. Happy holidays!
There’s a new Facebook page for kayak surfing in New England if you’re interested.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/136749086925014/

“Slurpee Waves…”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/01/03/slurpee-waves-again-wash-ashore-nantucket/5FFaPS2vWU9QzzupirhnTP/story.html#comments

Ok. I am officially a wuss… I’ve been bike commuting through this deep freeze. But, haven’t been able to get myself up to brave the waves with the current negative windchill.

Blizzard tomorrow with great waves and subzero windchill on Friday. Think I’ll pass again. :wink:

sing

@sing said:
“Slurpee Waves…”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/01/03/slurpee-waves-again-wash-ashore-nantucket/5FFaPS2vWU9QzzupirhnTP/story.html#comments

Ok. I am officially a wuss… I’ve been bike commuting through this deep freeze. But, haven’t been able to get myself up to brave the waves with the current negative windchill.

Blizzard tomorrow with great waves and subzero windchill on Friday. Think I’ll pass again. :wink:

sing

Good choice.

A slurpee wave. Looks lethal but great material for CWD poetry.

As ye wish.

A bombo genesis whirled-in twenty-one-eight
a new hot topic for some frozen fate,
where surfers sledded their frosty-freeze heaven,
the slushee salt slurpee (News at 7 'n 11.)

Then ice fisherman out on a great lake
were purgin’ their sturgeon for Atlantic fled hake,
whilst cod put on capes as their demons’ deaths dawned
cold-blooded end flash-froze megalodons,

and twitter-twit fog-horned his blast of great blarney,
“Stoke furnaces up!” No warming chilly con carny,
but folks nevertheless buzzed how it’s quite strange,
these mood swings of whether or weather at change,

So thus we reflect on what lies ahead
if to spring so afar we must weather stark dread,
for now blue-eyed monster stares us benumbing.
THE ICE KING IS HERE! Winter keeps coming!

Dude, if you’ve been bike commuting through this misery, you’re f%$*ing hardcore! I can’t imagine getting out on the water in this cold, maybe a flatwater paddle if it was sunny and calm, let alone surfing. Or a sunny 20 degree day I might be game, would feel balmy at this point.
Been busy with a 4 year old, and all dad bodied out, hardly got out at all this season. Need to start some type of exercise other than shoveling. Still looking for a good boat as well, stuffing myself into boats built for 5’8 skinny dudes, not so comfortable and doesn’t leave much room for cold weather gear.
Cheers.

@canoeswithduckheads
Fun read. Thanks.

@Johnnysmoke said:
Dude, if you’ve been bike commuting through this misery, you’re f%$*ing hardcore! I can’t imagine getting out on the water in this cold, maybe a flatwater paddle if it was sunny and calm, let alone surfing. Or a sunny 20 degree day I might be game, would feel balmy at this point.
Been busy with a 4 year old, and all dad bodied out, hardly got out at all this season. Need to start some type of exercise other than shoveling. Still looking for a good boat as well, stuffing myself into boats built for 5’8 skinny dudes, not so comfortable and doesn’t leave much room for cold weather gear.
Cheers.

The bike commuting helps keep me acclimated to outdoor activities in the cold. :wink: Given a tinge of frostbite on my nose this past week from biking, it was a good barometer that even if my body is comfortable in the 6/5/4 wetsuit, my exposed face ain’t going to stand too well to the subzero windchill out in the surf.

I feel you on the fatherhood thing. But, take your time and enjoy it. It flies by quick. My little baby boys are now 28 and 24. The time just flew by. However, an empty next does have its advantages in terms of what I able to do with my freed up time. :slight_smile:

Well… Got to go out and shovel some more. Did six hours yesterday. Looks to be a several more today. Afterwards, will have to get out my snowshoes for a walk in the local reservation this weekend.

sing

Out in the slush your yak you might mush,
your scurry in slurry to fall,
no rudder nor skeg redirects your last leg,
nor paddle guide beast from froze stall,

So how will you roll cross frozen atoll,
and how will you roll in those waves?
You can wear a drysuit (saves ‘em baggin’ soon moot),
in pickle icicled sea-bathed.