Polystyrene Shrike

Constructed in closed-cell 10 mm thick polystyrene. (Not the stuff that falls to pieces and gets riddled with static) Details and more photos here: http://cnckayaks.com/2017/12/14/alec-naneti-from-romania/
Nick.

Looks interesting, but your link didn’t work when I cut and pasted it.

It should work now.
Nick.

Cool. Not sure I could do that . I would like to have a shrike but my building skills are rather lacking . Plus the time would be a problem. Post some pictures when its all done.

Cool. Can it be transported as a sectional and assembled at the paddling site?

If you follow the link, at the bottom of the page you will find the link to plenty of photos of the construction, showing the 3-part disassembled.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNYCzuCh8_aiKaegAU4RKx0DcDy8gK6eubyVwSkmduwdXizzbspusn0c5nDHkqOGQ?hl=ro&key=MmF5dkZWdWN4UVhTSEJhUUJ5bWE3c3lDcEhpZHlB
Nick

Does he plan on glassing the cockpit inside?

@Yanoer said:
Cool. Can it be transported as a sectional and assembled at the paddling site?

Yes. Sometimes I do that and fit inside the car. Sometimes on the roofracks of the car. Sometimes 1 section inside the car and 2 sections on the roof. The assemble takes about 10-15 minutes.

@Overstreet said:
Does he plan on glassing the cockpit inside?

It is glassed inside and outside on the entire kayak. Polystyrene has no structural purpose. Glassing the both sides is a must.

@dc9mm said:
Cool. Not sure I could do that . I would like to have a shrike but my building skills are rather lacking . Plus the time would be a problem. Post some pictures when its all done.

I guess even a child can do that… And is fast.

I assume bulkheads are cut in, fillets applied, and glass installed to wrap the “outside” layer of the composite panel sandwich… We’ve had structures with two glass layers and foam core before in other systems. Some boat panels are similar. Some aircraft structures are similar. I’m not sure a theoretical engineer analysis would agree that the foam core has no structural value. But I understand.

How many layers of glass on the outside and inside? … weight fabric?

Do you form the foam over forms to get curves or maintain straight lines? On foam you could get a more shorter radius than say ply wood.

From the first link above:
“I glass coated the inside of the hull after I set up the bulkheads. The fiberglass was 300 grams per square meter. One layer of 300 grams fiberglass is enough.”

@Overstreet said:
I assume bulkheads are cut in, fillets applied, and glass installed to wrap the “outside” layer of the composite panel sandwich… We’ve had structures with two glass layers and foam core before in other systems. Some boat panels are similar. Some aircraft structures are similar. I’m not sure a theoretical engineer analysis would agree that the foam core has no structural value. But I understand.

How many layers of glass on the outside and inside? … weight fabric?

Do you form the foam over forms to get curves or maintain straight lines? On foam you could get a more shorter radius than say ply wood.

Yes, the foam have structural value. It is needed to be glassed on both sides.

One layer can be enough. 300 grams per 1 square meter. The need for a heavier fabric is to avoid the dent factor, otherwise you can use a lighter fabric.

On foam I used you could get a shorter radius than plywood but not by much.