Looking For Advice on Canoe

Looking for a bit of feedback. Looking at getting a 15-16’ square stern canoe… not having any experience with them I have a couple concerns. Looking to use it for small to moderate sized rivers to some bigger lakes. The lakes are fairly unpredictable, so weather can definitely be an issue. With a bit of common sense are these boats fairly safe or can I plan on taking a swim?? The other concern I have, the one I am looking at is rated for up to a 4hp outboard. Is that generally enough to push these boats upstream at a decent pace?? Sorry for the barrage of questions, just trying to figure out if this is going to be a good fit.

@MtRiverviking said:
Looking for a bit of feedback. Looking at getting a 15-16’ square stern canoe… not having any experience with them I have a couple concerns. Looking to use it for small to moderate sized rivers to some bigger lakes. The lakes are fairly unpredictable, so weather can definitely be an issue. With a bit of common sense are these boats fairly safe or can I plan on taking a swim?? The other concern I have, the one I am looking at is rated for up to a 4hp outboard. Is that generally enough to push these boats upstream at a decent pace?? Sorry for the barrage of questions, just trying to figure out if this is going to be a good fit.

I’m curious. If you are looking for a powered hull and concerned about stability, what led you to choose a canoe? Have you considered other hull designs?

@Pagayeur said:

@MtRiverviking said:

I’m curious. If you are looking for a powered hull and concerned about stability, what led you to choose a canoe? Have you considered other hull designs?

Ability to maneuver through smaller rivers… kind of hoping that can cover more than just one application.

@MtRiverviking said:

@Pagayeur said:

@MtRiverviking said:

Ability to maneuver through smaller rivers… kind of hoping that can cover more than just one application.

Have you considered a John boat? Or a friend of mine owns Santee Boats, which is a nice glass small fishing boat.

In regard to Pagayeur’s comment, when it comes to ability to maneuver through smaller rivers, a 15- or 16-foot semi-V boat can do anything a square-back canoe can do, except squeeze through narrow openings among fallen timber. If the maneuverability you desire includes the need for a narrower boat to squeeze through tight spots, the square-stern canoe might be what you need.

As to performance on bigger lakes, it will be no contest. A 15- or 16-foot semi-V will remain safe in waves much steeper than what the square-stern canoe will handle. Semi-Vs will generally have far more freeboard and lots more flare at the bow, giving you more margin of safety in large waves.

Four horsepower is more than adequate to drive a square-stern canoe against any current where the boat is safe to use in the first place (in other words, don’t make a habit of doing this in fierce whitewater, but you probably don’t plan on that anyway). Better than me or anyone here suggesting what to expect, search YouTube with keywords like “motor”, “horsepower”, and “canoe” and you’ll find lots of videos that people have posted showing how fast their canoes go under motor power. None are speed demons as motorboats go, but you’ll see that the combination you are considering will be more than fast enough.

If you choose the square-back canoe, make sure it’s wider than normal. A 15-foot canoe of normal size is too small for a pair of average-sized men, especially when motorized. Better still, plan on a model that’s longer than 15 feet.

Also, definitely do not go where you can “expect on taking a swim” unless you add plenty of flotation to the canoe. Most stock canoes barely have enough flotation to keep the bare boat from sinking, so with a four-horse outboard clamped to the back (what’s that, about 40 pounds?), it just might sink if capsized or swamped. Maybe some square-back canoes already have extra flotation, but make sure you know.

@Guideboatguy said:

Good advice.

Try a Gheenoe… http;//Gheenoe.net

FYI…I had a 17’ Grumman with a 3HP Aquabug on a sidemount that I used in MT for years. That combination works fine on fairly calm lakes, and relatively slow (and not too shallow) rivers. The reason most canoes are “legally” limited to 4HP is because of motor weight. That being said, wind and water speed become a major problem if you don’t have the power. From what you stated, it sounds like you should consider a v-hull boat that would accept a 9.9HP motor. With that outfit, you can outrun bad weather. BTW - if you’re plying any fast/shallow rivers, you might look into jet-drive outboards to avoid prop damage. Do lots of research before you buy, and good luck !!