Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hello from a hospital bed.

I had the spinal stimulator installed today. In the realm of spinal surgery, relatively minor.
Compared to the last one, not much pain. If this device works as advertised, it will free me to do more paddling with a lot less pain.
I can't really get to it for a couple of months, right about the time winter is over.
This is a good thing. Maybe I can get back in a ski.

Comments

  • edited January 13

    Oh my goodness, string! Think positive, heal quickly, and do whatever PT may be required so you can get your ski ready.

    Sending you good vibes for a quick recovery!

  • Glad it’s done! When do you get home? There is a group camping at Santee mid April so maybe join up. Wishing you all the best my friend. I was turning off the phone for the night when I saw your post.

  • Going home tomorrow. Just staying to get loaded with antibiotics. To attach this thing, the surgeon removed some bone from my spine so they are extra cautious.
    I am signed up for the April outing. Should be fully released by then.

  • Hang in there Jim! Hope it works for you!

  • Hope your recovery is uneventful

  • Heal quickly and remain free of pain! Get on down to Beaufort before the bugs take over. Any health and lifestyle advise for those in 20's and 30's?

  • This issue is genetic.My Dad had the same problems.
    Advice: keep moving. I ran, walked, hiked from childhood until this showed up . Paddled ever since.

  • Get well soon!

  • Things are looking up! Best Wishes!

  • Hope it works as advertised!

  • Best to you, string. Hope all goes well, is relatively pain free, and that you're back on the water on schedule.

  • Best wishes for a speedy recovery

  • You've had it rough with those problems the last several years. I hope this will be a big turn-around.

  • I hope your recovery will be a speedy one, and you'll be back on the water again soon.
    Don't overexert yourself to quickly (because you start feeling better), until cleared by your doctor.

    I know a little about back pain. Have been dealing with it since I wrapped a new 68 Mustang around an oak tree (that didn't give an inch) in New Jersey in 1968.

    BOB

  • Good luck for a full and quick return to doing all the things you used to do. I bet you will work the rehab and PT to get there and look forward to progress reports.

  • Hope you heal quickly, and our "winter" is over in SC about the time you're ready to paddle !!
    Ted

  • Get pain-free soon!

  • Thank you everyone. I scheduled it so I'll be released early in the paddling season.
    Right now it's great to be home after a painful, sleepless night in the hospital. Half the time I was thinking about my next kayak.
    A wonderful thing happened as I was waiting to get released. I was half out of it and a friend and fellow paddler walked in. A perfect morale boost!
    He helped my wife get me home and to bed.

  • All the best, String! I hope we can get together to paddle again!

  • @tjalmy said:
    All the best, String! I hope we can get together to paddle again!

    Planning on it Tom.

  • @thebob.com said:
    I hope your recovery will be a speedy one, and you'll be back on the water again soon.
    Don't overexert yourself to quickly (because you start feeling better), until cleared by your doctor.

    I know a little about back pain. Have been dealing with it since I wrapped a new 68 Mustang around an oak tree (that didn't give an inch) in New Jersey in 1968.

    BOB

    Post pic of Mustang.....

  • The man was firm and resolute.
    The wife possessed her moxy.
    Plus she knew a thing 'bout pullin" string,
    and know she had her proxy.

    There was a time to add a hull
    he'd sew her with some guile.
    She needs now no new machine to needle him quite keen.
    His backbone bends as she rolls that dial.
    ("Yes dear"s delivered with a shocking smile.)

    May the force be with you! ( On the straight and narrow...ski path.)

    "Eleven on the dial," she says. "It's one better!"

  • Ok so what's the next kayak?

  • @PaddleDog52 said:
    Ok so what's the next kayak?

    Something a lot lighter than the Tarpon.

  • @canoeswithduckheads said:
    The man was firm and resolute.
    The wife possessed her moxy.
    Plus she knew a thing 'bout pullin" string,
    and know she had her proxy.

    There was a time to add a hull
    he'd sew her with some guile.
    She needs now no new machine to needle him quite keen.
    His backbone bends as she rolls that dial.
    ("Yes dear"s delivered with a shocking smile.)

    May the force be with you! ( On the straight and narrow...ski path.)

    "Eleven on the dial," she says. "It's one better!"

    I actually did that on the trial, only it was a 4. It was enlightening.

  • Hey String, I hope this gives you the freedom to get back to doing everything you love. I hope to see you and your brother back on Florida waters this year.
    So what will the next boat be? When I first met you, you were paddling a RapidFire. May be another in your future? I'm sure loving my little blue SpitFire.

  • Hi Sissy. That has been a few years! I have no idea what or even if the next boat will be. I don't think this device will limit my paddling but it will be a couple of months before I know.
    I love my Tarpon, but the weight may become a factor.

  • @string said:
    Hi Sissy. That has been a few years! I have no idea what or even if the next boat will be. I don't think this device will limit my paddling but it will be a couple of months before I know.
    I love my Tarpon, but the weight may become a factor.

    I've had the ideal boat a couple of times, like the Rapidfire and the Stellar ski but my back wouldn't tolerate them. Now, MAYBE, it won't be an issue.

  • @string, You know what, it has been 10 years since that paddle on the St. Johns. Where I first met you, Phyllis, Laura, Bob. Me in my little Swifty! My fleet now is Hurricane Skimmer 128, Hornbeck Blackjack New Tricks 12, Placid SpitFire, AND, ta-da! another Swifty that replaced the 13 year old one that was stolen.
    I know you really liked your RapidFire, maybe that would be a great boat for you with your new back.

  • I really like SOT so I'm thinking about a Skimmer 140 or an Epic ski. All contingent on how new the back is.
    10 years! Back when we were kids.

  • @string Well, I love my Skimmer 128, just about a perfect boat. But at 47 lbs, it is not my "go to" boat, and I'm thinking about selling it since I don't use it often.

  • I am down to the Tarpon 160 and a Pungo 140 so I've got swamps, rivers, and the ocean covered. Neither fulfills the need for speed but those weights are an issue.

  • I got turned on today, at least the implanted stimulator did.
    Too early to tell if or how effective it is. Good to have most of it in the rear view.

  • Best Wishes. Hope medical science provides the relief for you. I'm in "paddler"hood of chronic back pain and sciatica.

  • @Paatit said:
    Best Wishes. Hope medical science provides the relief for you. I'm in "paddler"hood of chronic back pain and sciatica.

    We'll see. I think I can tell a difference but I'll have to heal and try the activities I know cause the same problems you have.

  • Had my post surgery check up today. And then the other shoe dropped.
    No paddling for 6 months and a host of other restrictions. Don't lift over 5 lbs, no bending, no twisting, no nothin'.
    Going to my PT to see what I can do to keep from losing what fitness I have.

  • June/ July will be here before you know it. Keep the faith.

  • Be patient, string. It's only been 11 days since your surgery. Your body is still healing. It won't be long before you have a long list of PT homework to do. Best wishes.

  • @Rookie said:
    Be patient, string. It's only been 11 days since your surgery. Your body is still healing. It won't be long before you have a long list of PT homework to do. Best wishes.

    This is my 3rd back surgery and the only PT recommended is walking. If this thing works, it will allow me to walk more easily. It appears to do that.

  • Sending you more healing vibes.

  • @jamesm.wpg@gmail.com said:
    Sending you more healing vibes.

    Thank you.

Sign In or Register to comment.
Message Boards Close

Hello, Paddler!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!