Is It Spring Yet?

I know it’s coming… Really. :slight_smile:

Gotta love New England. :slight_smile:

sing

I hear that spring comes March 20, ready or not.

According to Accuweather, spring is about to hit us Saturday and maybe I will be able to take advantage of it. I feel better today than I have for way over a week. The flu darn near killed me, but I think I’m getting much, much better by the hour. I’m going to stay in today and maybe most of tomorrow to see if I can be ready for Saturday.

My wife thinks I should start out easy, but I’m not sure I can do that. I’m thinking at the very least it will be the Sirocco at the Lake Saturday and maybe the NC on the Columbia for Sunday.

Peaches in full bloom here. Red maples starting to but on leaves. Pines showing yellow with pollen.

While 100 miles north of Castoff, it is windy and chilly.

Sunny, windy and 55 degrees in North Florida.

Winter moved on tiptoe,
into 2018 she coolly slipped,
but out of somewhere came a Pisces wind,
and over ground she tripped,

once mild her temper meant no harm,
to buds warmth tipped to trees,
but her shock as frock spread its blanket white
had them fall down at her knees,

the cherry and the maple,
the crocus and daffodil,
from mild come hither quickly withered,
all color sunk into her chill,

but Solarus knew he’d release her spell,
and that he’d melt her frosty pox,
putting winter to bed after all sprang ahead,
once he gave her some equinox.

but Solarus knew he’d release her spell,
and that he’d melt her frosty pox,
putting winter to bed after all sprang ahead,
once he gave her some equinox.

Hmm… That is some interesting imagery… :wink:

Spring? Not here.

@Rookie said:
Spring? Not here.

Love it!!! That is a visual testimony to how one gets through winter… with “joie de vivre.”

Kokopelli On Pointe! And a tiara to die for! (if Rocky Horror Picture Show Meets Homer Simpson’s Glee is your thing)

Shoot for the stars,
among the great lakes.
In such a wintry dance,
you’re surely midst flakes.

A wonderful sculpture!!

Here in NC it’s Winter in the morning and Spring in the afternoon. I’m fixin’ ta get on my bike and try to burn off some of this fat.

@Rex said:
Here in NC it’s Winter in the morning and Spring in the afternoon. I’m fixin’ ta get on my bike and try to burn off some of this fat.

Biked through 6" inches of snow to get to work yesterday morning. Going home, it was puddles, slush and 40 degrees. The (winter) mountain bike with studded tires is purely utilitarian and is not much in the way of lightness and joy as the road bike. :confused:

Thought you would be mostly doing your road biking throughout the cooler weekends down your way until yearning for kayaking kicks in with warmer temps…

sing

We have minimal snow on the ground (I’ve never seen a winter with so little snow) and it’s fairly cold (frost on the rooftops this morning), but today I heard the first red-winged blackbirds of the year. They must have just arrived. The first sandhill cranes arrived a couple weeks ago, and one pair that has been taking handouts in my neighbor’s front lawn for a few years now was out there standing in the snow early in the morning a few days ago. Still waiting for another springtime favorite, buffleheads, and they are surely already arriving but I there’s too little open water in my normal haunts to have seen them yet.

Hey Sing, I need to get myself a bike that will go in the gravel. There are some great bird watching roads nearby but they aren’t paved. You are right… I’ve been biking a lot over the winter and waiting for warm weather for the kayak. BUT since I’ve retired I don’t have to wait for the weekends. Most any day with dry weather will see me out on the road.

Guideboatguy! I saw/heard some unusual birds on today’s bike ride. Heard a red-winged blackbird which was pretty cool. Even cooler was seeing a big ol’ osprey soaring over a field. Not a lake. A field. Strange.

I’m expecting to see swallows any day now. I wouldn’t be too surprised to see a few up at the lake today. It is supposed to be almost like summer, but not as hot. Tomorrow is summer.

Just got back from FL. Met a man in Eustes in the parking lot next to the park on the lake to buy his Wayfarer sailboat. I got there early. It was cool and windy when I got there. Just about perfect weather, cool enough to wear a light coat if sitting in the shade, but warm in the sun out of the wind. There was a children’s playground with climbing, running and laughing in shorts next to where I sat and waited. One small boy exclaimed “Mommy, it was perfect weather when we got here now it’s too hot!” All the while an Osprey watched from a nest on a structure at the edge of the playground. Occasionally calling while showing a complete lack of concerned by the commotion on the jungle gym, and twirling seats, and squealing kids. While the sails of boats decorated the lake Grey Squirrels hopped about, and Boat-tailed Grackles did there proud strut looking for scraps of food and tasty treasures lost in the grass. I have to ask, “Can this be Winter”?

Felt like spring yesterday

20" of snow today - I’m hoping for a long slow melt that will keep the rivers full for a while.

Wow, Erik, that’s a heck of a lot of snow. March is such a mercurial month. Went out Sunday to visit a launch site. No snow up there, but I don’t think the ice is going to melt soon. Our air temps are running about 20 degrees below average.