Perception Conduit 13 / Recommendations?

Hi All!

I am looking to purchase my first kayak, but I am having some difficulty deciding on what to get - mainly it is the weight capacity that is throwing me off. I am 5’4" and weigh around 240 (I think; it has been a while since I’ve stepped on the scale, will check later and update). Anyway - what is the minimum weight capacity that I should be considering? I was really interested in the Perception Conduit 13, but it has a capacity of 295. I don’t plan on having very much gear when I go paddling. I plan on paddling fairly calm waters; I’ll start at a lake to get some practice as it has been a while since I’ve been in a kayak, but plan on kayaking some rivers for sure (Kansas and Platte rivers to start with). I also don’t think I will ever be going out alone. I am thinking the length of my paddle trips will regularly be 4+ hours as I will be with someone that is going to fish from their kayak.

Definitely open to any suggestions! Trying to keep it under $600 but will go over this a little bit. Also - are there any brands that I should really avoid?

Let me know if additional information is needed in order for you to provide a recommendation. Thank you for reading! :slight_smile:

ETA:
Now considering a Perception Prodigy 12 since it has a 350 capacity. Another option I am looking in to (and see recommended A LOT) is a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120. Both of these are a little above what I was looking to pay, but an increased budget is worth it as long as I am happy with what I end up purchasing. Not sure if I’d be able to get a test paddle as I don’t know any other paddlers. A rental may be an option, though I am not sure what rental places in my area have.

My brother loves his but he is much lighter than you.
I think most kayaks have a higher weight rating than is optimum.
For fishing and chillin’, I think the boat is fine. But, you are going to be putting a lot of hull(resistance) in the water.
Have you looked at SIT ON TOPS? Most are heavy beasts. Many are designed for fishing and a used one should be in your budget. I paddle a Wilderness Systems Tarpon and it would be fine for you, but nothing less than 14’.

@string said:
My brother loves his but he is much lighter than you.
I think most kayaks have a higher weight rating than is optimum.
For fishing and chillin’, I think the boat is fine. But, you are going to be putting a lot of hull(resistance) in the water.
Have you looked at SIT ON TOPS? Most are heavy beasts. Many are designed for fishing and a used one should be in your budget. I paddle a Wilderness Systems Tarpon and it would be fine for you, but nothing less than 14’.

Look at Perception Pescador. Academy has them at good prices.

@string

I’ll take a look at the pescador. I think that is what my boyfriend is leaning towards for himself. I’m not opposed to a SOT but think I might prefer a sit in. Do you think I might have better luck with a Percetion Prodigy? I won’t be doing any fishing or hauling lots of gear, so I’m just looking for something to paddle around in.

I’ll take another look at other kayaks that I have bookmarked too.

I agree that many manufacturers list max capacity numbers that aren’t very relevant. And they use different methods to determine, so you cant compare across manufacturers.

The 295 limit may work for you. Any chance to get a test paddle? Or find a place that rents and try one for a day?

If you do go for a different boat, probably be good to get one that is more in the mid-300s for rater capacity.

I would echo what @Peter-CA said, if you could get a test paddle that would be ideal.

Take a look at the second and third comments. It seems those customers are pretty satisfied and are within your weight range :slight_smile:

https://paddling.com/reviews/product/perception-conduit-13-0-kayak/

I can try to get a test paddle, but I am not sure that I will be able to. I don’t know anyone that owns a kayak - thought about posting on the Paddle KC facebook to see if anyone there would be willing to let me test paddle, though I don’t know if I’d have any luck there. Doesn’t hurt to ask though! Another option would be to call paddle rental places in my area to see what they rent out.

I am now considering a Perception Prodigy 12’; it’s got a capacity of 350 which I feel better about than 295. :slight_smile:
Downside is the Prodigy is $150 over my budget; I may just go for it, anyways. I want to make sure I get something that I will be happy with, and it that means increasing my budget a bit, I think it will be worth it!